DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Off topic, question for Americans (USA), is this a croc or alligator?

It looks to me as if the snout is the wrong shape for an alligator.
Watch: Trapper wrestles massive alligator from US pool

Ahh elsewhere it is described as a croc.
Clearly a crocodile.
The snout is long and pointed rather than short and rounded like this Alligator.
_DSC5178a-XL.jpg

The American crocodile is a rare species, but the Alligator is quite common in Florida.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
That was on Plantation Key, about a third of the way down the keys toward Key West. Several other news reports have it properly identified as a crocodile. Here's one.

Alligators are common throughout the American South, but crocodiles occur only in extreme southern Florida.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I really like the gulf coast area. but these creatures will keep me from ever moving there. If I am close enough to ID it I am way to close

The real difference is - an alligator will see you later, a crocodile - after a while
About 30 years ago, crocodiles were just beginning to show up in the Everglades and a grizzly USPS ranger cautioned us about them when we were leaving the dock in a small sailboat. I assured him I was pretty familiar with alligators and knew how to avoid trouble with them. He said that crocodiles were very different - meaner, faster, stronger, ornerier and liable come after you just for looking at them.

He was very serious. We took the waning seriously, too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird