DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old Grain Mill

Guitarzan

Reactions
Many years ago, while in high school photography club, I took pictures of this mill with a 35mm SLR loaded with B&W film, trying to learn framing, exposure, depth-of-field, etc. Now I use a GPS-enabled flying camera platform (Mavic Mini).

Many years ago, while in high school photography club, I took pictures of this mill with a 35mm SLR loaded with B&W film, trying to learn framing, exposure, depth-of-field, etc. Now I use a GPS-enabled flying camera platform (Mavic Mini).

Very Cool!

Great location, but video needs more editing... Decide start and end point of every shot. Shorter takes. Leave all positioning movements out of the finished shot, no need for viewers to see Mavic changing vertical or horizontal angle few times slightly and than starting to fly... You know what I mean? Otherwise, not bad.

Reactions: Thomas B
Great location, but video needs more editing... Decide start and end point of every shot. Shorter takes. Leave all positioning movements out of the finished shot, no need for viewers to see Mavic changing vertical or horizontal angle few times slightly and than starting to fly... You know what I mean? Otherwise, not bad.

Great advice and I agree.

Reactions: Dedal
Great subject! Enjoyed your vid.
In addition to above, if done again, I’d include closer shot of that great old mill.

Sweet! I kept waiting for you to fly under the bridge.

Thanks for sharing~

I considered that, but there's lots of abandoned fishing line and lures dangling from it.

I couldn't agree more with that ! I wanted to write the same thing but didn't want to hurt the pilot's feelings. All of the starts, stops, halts, spurts, yaws, and confused goal of filming sequence (?plot). Edit out the ups and downs, yaws, etc. I would have started at the bridge, gone down the river, and "revealed" the mill. I am sure the pilot was anxious about the overhanging branches...I sure would be. So I'd go higher than the trees. Or start the filming with the drone pre-positioned at the bridge, and follow down the river between the outreaching branches, and reveals the falls and the mill.

I couldn't agree more with that ! I wanted to write the same thing but didn't want to hurt the pilot's feelings. All of the starts, stops, halts, spurts, yaws, and confused goal of filming sequence (?plot). Edit out the ups and downs, yaws, etc. I would have started at the bridge, gone down the river, and "revealed" the mill. I am sure the pilot was anxious about the overhanging branches...I sure would be. So I'd go higher than the trees. Or start the filming with the drone pre-positioned at the bridge, and follow down the river between the outreaching branches, and reveals the falls and the mill.
None of my comments are supposed to hurt anybody, that's why I pace myself, not being "professional" myself, it would be pompous bashing anybody's skills. That said, if I see something I think I can contribute by comenting, I'll do it. If hurt by it, people should say so, no hard feelings. But, I don't think anybody on this site is after hurting pilots in any way, myself included. Just constructive criticism, if any. :)

None of my comments are supposed to hurt anybody, that's why I pace myself, not being "professional" myself, it would be pompous bashing anybody's skills. That said, if I see something I think I can contribute by comenting, I'll do it. If hurt by it, people should say so, no hard feelings. But, I don't think anybody on this site is after hurting pilots in any way, myself included. Just constructive criticism, if any. :)
We agree. I treasure this forum and have learned so much from it. Without this forum, I would have crashed or nearly crashed many times. Also I learn about photography, flying, filters, legal stuff. My comments are always meant to be constructive and if taken the wrong way, I apologize immediately at the first hint.

Keep the criticism coming - not only for myself, but for other "newbs" who find it hard to fly, while doing the photography part. The other part of video editing to remove ups, downs, yaws, etc. is still a work in progress, but with the suggestions posted here, hopefully I can get better...thanks!

Keep the criticism coming - not only for myself, but for other "newbs" who find it hard to fly, while doing the photography part. The other part of video editing to remove ups, downs, yaws, etc. is still a work in progress, but with the suggestions posted here, hopefully I can get better...thanks!
It is certainly ok to make all of the moves you need, starting the video from take off if needed. All of that can wind up on the "cutting room floor" (as they say in Hollywood). Just position your drone for the money shot and do it after all of the fine tuning of ups, downs, yaws, etc. to pre-position for the main shot. In video editing, my program (Premiere Pro) allows me to hit the "I" for IN, and the "O" key for OUT to start and stop the part of the clip I want to use. Then, just drag the part that is good into the time line. Throw that bad stuff away.

Awesome footage!

Looking good. Pretty nice camera on that little mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott