DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems with Mavic Pro after upgrading firmware

PaulRC

Reactions
I apologize if this has been discussed here on the forum. I did a search and could not find an article that exactly matches what I am experiencing. I have a Mavic Pro, CS & Goggles that I've had for two years that has been an absolute dream to fly. Never had any problems. Never had a crash. Just 400+ miles of pure fun.

When I upgraded my rig to V01.04.0400, I noticed that my MP started acting strange. Where I could normally fly 14,000+ feet out/back with no issues, it would start streaming all sorts of disconnect messages from 3,000 feet on and I couldn't get past 5,000 feet before it would completely disconnect and RTH. My goggles started acting up too. Lots of messages about interference and they too would disconnect at a diminished range. I spent several months trying to sort out what had happened. Did all the usual calibrations, changed where I always fly from to out in the middle of a 400 acre field, factory reset, multiple flashes, etc. Nothing seemed to help.

Then along came the V01.04.0500 FW and when I flashed my rig to that, my trusty MP acted like it was possessed. Just a sample of the odd behavior:

* After takeoff, it would fly like it was in sport mode (40 MPH instead of 20 MPH). Manually switching between S/P mode would make no difference. If I just kept flying at full speed, it would gradually slow down to P mode speed over about 30 seconds and then fly fine for the rest of the battery. Next battery, same problem.

* Beyond about 1,000 feet out, the drone would log RC disconnects about every second. Beyond 2,000 feet it would just disconnect permanently and RTH.

* RTH stopped working altogether. When you would RTH, the MP would turn, head back home, stop over the landing pad and simply descend, landing 10'-20' off the pad. Note that I realize that if you RTH close to the pad it will do this. I'm talking about 1,000 feet out. Also would not climb to preset altitude before coming home, would not align itself with takeoff position when it got home and no messages about precision landing while descending. Also would not get the "The home point has been set..." message when taking off. Yes, I do a precision takeoff everytime.

* Would not hover. If you took off and just didn't touch the sticks, it would "wobble" around over the pad. Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes up, sometimes down. Again, have done the IMU and compass calibrations about a half dozen times and it never made a difference. I could never find any type of pattern and I did several RC calibrations to see if the sticks were off.

Now if I flashed my rig down to V01.04.0300 everything would go back to normal. No disconnects, no speed issues, RTH hits the center of the pad every time. I've tried 3 different times to flash from 300 to 400 and/or 500 and get the same results every time.

So right now, I'm just thankful that I've gotten my trusty friend back and if I have to stay with the 300 FW that's probably not going to be an issue for me. But I was wondering if a) anybody else has had this experience or anything like it and b) if so what did you do to resolve the issue? Sorry for the long post but trying to be detailed with describing the problem.

All thoughtful comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis
Here’s my thought. Wow!
Can’t answer what happened as I’ve not seen that bag of issues.
Probably a really good example of why many folks stay away from updates. Glad you got it back where you want it. I’ll watch and see if someone can provide better info.

My understanding was that firmware above 1.04.0100 disabled your ability to roll back firmware without using third party tools.

It only prevents you from rolling back to versions prior to V01.04.0100. My problem is trying to flash above V01.04.0300 (see attachment). Again, I have never used any type of 3rd party tool on any of my rig.

Attachments

• DJI.jpg
    DJI.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 42
I'm so very glad you got your drone back to nomal and he's in good health again. Your experience has confirmed what I have been concerned about all along. I'm on Ver: 1.03.1000 and intend to stay there. I've just heard too many bad things about DJI firmware upgrades turning your machine into junk. Reminds me of my first Mav Pro, flew it for 3 days and it was perfect, upgraded firmware and it instantly began throwing "gimbal vibration" errors. At that time I assumed it was a mechanical failure, so Amazon got it back. Only after i returned it I read others were having same issues after updating. ( this was back in the mid 1.03.0xxx range of updates.)
It appears DJI isn't good at testing and vetting their releases.

PaulRC... I have had similar issues with my Mavic since 8-18.
I have been struggling since I left 1.4.100
The Go4app will let you flash firmware 1.4.100..300...500
Just hold you finger on the right-hand top 3 dots for 5-10 seconds the menu will pop up....
Non of the firmware up/down grades helped solve my issues
I found out
That a lot of the issue I was having was also go4app related
My Mavic would have stable flight
With bird and controller...
when I started go4app
(latest update 3 since 1-19 )
is when I would have issues .
I tried "airmap"
It was good but not were I wanted to be .... I fly without wifi
On my tablet.. You need Wi-Fi to start airmap

I won't go into details here
(long story)
Good luck
I hope you find Stable flight
cR

Reactions: PaulRC
PaulRC... I have had similar issues with my Mavic since 8-18.
I have been struggling since I left 1.4.100

Thanks mate. It seems I don't have any problems at all if I stay at 300, but I've tried 3 different times to upgrade to 500 and every time I do, my MP just goes nuts. I figure I'm probably not missing much between 300 and 500. Maybe my MP is like me and just doesn't want to change in it's old age. :)

Thanks for the post though as it confirms that this isn't something that is happening just to me.

If you open the 01.04.0500 FW (dji_system.bin) and diff the contents against 01.04.0300 then you will see there are only changes to the main Android system modules such as 0801 and, if you're using an MPP, to the ESC profile.
Additionally there are some new modules in it to implement goggle support.
IIRC there weren't modules altered that are relevant to in-air behavior.

As the Android system is orchestrating the module downloads it could well be that it reflashes modules relevant to flight behavior but ends up with undectected errors.
This in turn could make you end up with some FW modules half reflashed.
DJI's flashing mechanism doesn't appear to be well known for its reliability or stability.
Besides that The added "security" against the modding community might also force some modules to interact differently with each other. I'd like to stress that the last point are wild speculations.
I didn't poke into a working 01.04.0400 system. Back in 2018 I likely used one though albeit with no issues at all.

TL;DR: If you don't have goggles you can safely stay with 01.04.0300.

Last edited:
As microwave89 suggest
I too had fewer problems with 1.4.300 I believe they tell you with 1.4.500 you can get Pano.? Whoopy.!

300 was good 100 was better
But...... 1.3.700 is where I'm at now
And I'm back to injoying Mavic pro flight once again
Again
Hope you find stable flight

....cR

I think I'm just going to stay with 300 this summer as I don't want to waste any more time on trying to figure this out. Maybe this winter I'll sit down and try to run through flashing everything again to see if I can figure out the problem. But I've been flying for the last few weeks (daily) with 300 and it's been rock steady. Appreciate all the insight though. Good to know I'm probably not missing anything staying where I'm at.

I apologize if this has been discussed here on the forum. I did a search and could not find an article that exactly matches what I am experiencing. I have a Mavic Pro, CS & Goggles that I've had for two years that has been an absolute dream to fly. Never had any problems. Never had a crash. Just 400+ miles of pure fun.

When I upgraded my rig to V01.04.0400, I noticed that my MP started acting strange. Where I could normally fly 14,000+ feet out/back with no issues, it would start streaming all sorts of disconnect messages from 3,000 feet on and I couldn't get past 5,000 feet before it would completely disconnect and RTH. My goggles started acting up too. Lots of messages about interference and they too would disconnect at a diminished range. I spent several months trying to sort out what had happened. Did all the usual calibrations, changed where I always fly from to out in the middle of a 400 acre field, factory reset, multiple flashes, etc. Nothing seemed to help.

Then along came the V01.04.0500 FW and when I flashed my rig to that, my trusty MP acted like it was possessed. Just a sample of the odd behavior:

* After takeoff, it would fly like it was in sport mode (40 MPH instead of 20 MPH). Manually switching between S/P mode would make no difference. If I just kept flying at full speed, it would gradually slow down to P mode speed over about 30 seconds and then fly fine for the rest of the battery. Next battery, same problem.

* Beyond about 1,000 feet out, the drone would log RC disconnects about every second. Beyond 2,000 feet it would just disconnect permanently and RTH.

* RTH stopped working altogether. When you would RTH, the MP would turn, head back home, stop over the landing pad and simply descend, landing 10'-20' off the pad. Note that I realize that if you RTH close to the pad it will do this. I'm talking about 1,000 feet out. Also would not climb to preset altitude before coming home, would not align itself with takeoff position when it got home and no messages about precision landing while descending. Also would not get the "The home point has been set..." message when taking off. Yes, I do a precision takeoff everytime.

* Would not hover. If you took off and just didn't touch the sticks, it would "wobble" around over the pad. Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes up, sometimes down. Again, have done the IMU and compass calibrations about a half dozen times and it never made a difference. I could never find any type of pattern and I did several RC calibrations to see if the sticks were off.

Now if I flashed my rig down to V01.04.0300 everything would go back to normal. No disconnects, no speed issues, RTH hits the center of the pad every time. I've tried 3 different times to flash from 300 to 400 and/or 500 and get the same results every time.

So right now, I'm just thankful that I've gotten my trusty friend back and if I have to stay with the 300 FW that's probably not going to be an issue for me. But I was wondering if a) anybody else has had this experience or anything like it and b) if so what did you do to resolve the issue? Sorry for the long post but trying to be detailed with describing the problem.

All thoughtful comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Yes that firmware was crap mine keep losing signal to, now finally we have new firmware released 100.503 can’t remember the exact number but was just released around 04/25/19 for smart controller and it is rock solid, make shure to download latest assistant 2 or will not update, 7 hours of hell because I was trying my old assistant I had in my Mac, tested today and back to great signal again, 24,000 feet out until battery ran to 50% and had to return home, remember to use latest assistant that was released same day as firmware was released

Yes that firmware was crap mine keep losing signal to, now finally we have new firmware released 100.503 can’t remember the exact number but was just released around 04/25/19 for smart controller and it is rock solid, make shure to download latest assistant 2 or will not update, 7 hours of **** because I was trying my old assistant I had in my Mac, tested today and back to great signal again, 24,000 feet out until battery ran to 50% and had to return home, remember to use latest assistant that was released same day as firmware was released

Looks like 500 is the last FW update for the MP that I can see unless that release just hasn't been done for the US yet.

Yes i believe you are correct 1.4.500 firmware is the latest It didnot work for me with the latest Go4app
Im currently on firmware 1.3.700 running NLD GO 4.1.22 flight app..... and I find this to be very stable flight.

.cR

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming