DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper battery level?

clovis09

Reactions
After doing some flying with my MPP a couple of days ago and giving my Wife some lessons we were flying behind my house and I ran one of my batteries down to 11% before putting the UAV away for the day. For the last couple of days the weather has been awful here in Ga. as it has in most of the U.S. My question is should the batterie be charged back up and allowed to discharge on it's own or is it good to leave it at this level. I have 3 batteries that I use in rotation so it could be a few days before it gets regularly charged and used again. I really want to keep them at optimum because I would like them to last me aa long time.

After doing some flying with my MPP a couple of days ago and giving my Wife some lessons we were flying behind my house and I ran one of my batteries down to 11% before putting the UAV away for the day. For the last couple of days the weather has been awful here in Ga. as it has in most of the U.S. My question is should the batterie be charged back up and allowed to discharge on it's own or is it good to leave it at this level. I have 3 batteries that I use in rotation so it could be a few days before it gets regularly charged and used again. I really want to keep them at optimum because I would like them to last me aa long time.

No don't do a full charge unless you will be using them again in the next day or so. For me personally 11% is a bit too low, especially if you won't be using them for quite some time as they will naturally lose some charge in storage over time. I would charge them back to around 50% and them put them away. If you don't use them for very long periods, check them occasionally so that they don't drop below 20%.

Reactions: clovis09
No don't do a full charge unless you will be using them again in the next day or so. For me personally 11% is a bit too low, especially if you won't be using them for quite some time as they will naturally lose some charge in storage over time. I would charge them back to around 50% and them put them away. If you don't use them for very long periods, check them occasionally so that they don't drop below 20%.
Since I live in the southern part of the U.S. (Georgia) we don't really have any extended periods of cold weather to speak of. I will be flying once or twice a week most of the time but in rotating my battery usage I could be a week or 2 before using the same battery again. After searching the forum for battery charging questions as per the suggestion of rickw it seems to be a general rule of thumb to keep your batteries at around 50% charge when not in use. Then as Thunderdrones said if I haven't used one of them in a month I will run a full charge on it and let it fall back to 50%.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Since I live in the southern part of the U.S. (Georgia) we don't really have any extended periods of cold weather to speak of. I will be flying once or twice a week most of the time but in rotating my battery usage I could be a week or 2 before using the same battery again. After searching the forum for battery charging questions as per the suggestion of rickw it seems to be a general rule of thumb to keep your batteries at around 50% charge when not in use. Then as Thunderdrones said if I haven't used one of them in a month I will run a full charge on it and let it fall back to 50%.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Again this is my personal view from the research I have done but I would NOT do a full charge if you won't be flying. A charge to 100% capacity is much more stressful on a battery than even two charges to 50%. If my batteries go unused for a long period, I only charge them back up to around 50%. I only charge to 100% right before a flight.

Reactions: LarJgrip
I was told storing below 20% is not good for the battery life. I'd suggest to just put in on charge until 2 solid LEDs. Then store until you fully charge before your next flight.

Reactions: clovis09
Thank you msinger. I actually found your post and lighting chart in the archives and it was exactly what I needed. After checking the power on all my batteries I found that the 2 batteries that were allowed to discharge on their own lit up to the third led so I took the one that had ran down to 11% and charged it to that same level.
Thank you for the info.

Reactions: msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111