DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props

Rambler22

Reactions
I have a question if you mask off the props and paint white strips on them like you see on full size choppers would they be unblanced? I thought it might keep large birds away.

I have a question if you mask off the props and paint white strips on them like you see on full size choppers would they be unblanced? I thought it might keep large birds away.

Not if you keep it real thin. If the sound and turbulence from the drone isn’t keeping the birds away then I doubt some white lines will though. Do you really have issues with birds?

If paint creates a blur that makes the props more visible it might make the drone appear larger. But that may be a stretch.

We have red tail hawks around my part of the world and I remember wondering about the same thing. At first I thought a nice poison frog wrap would do the trick, or maybe giant eyes on the top would be a good aversion. Then one day a hawk was almost intersecting my Mavic’s path and he too one look at the Mavic and made a 90 degree turn. Not even interested. So maybe the you tube videos you see are about birds protecting their nests.

No, it will not disturb the balance of your props, but dont put too much paint on it, as it can unbalance your props a little bit, or disturb air circulation around the blade, especially on the end of the blade, where speed is maximum, as it will make more noise...
Maybe try with a white pencil instead of paint, I think it will put less ink on the blade...(?)
But its a good idea , to prevent any injury from the props, and see props radius while in flight!

Reactions: Rambler22
I just had an idea actually. You could just get these props to use instead.

These were reccomend to me by someone on this forum and they have been working great an upgrade over stock and MPP props forsure.

For your purposes though they are bright orange and you do see the props a lot better as they spin and it will forsure make the drone look better to a bird.

Two birds one stone?

Reactions: Rambler22
I just had an idea actually. You could just get these props to use instead.

These were reccomend to me by someone on this forum and they have been working great an upgrade over stock and MPP props forsure.

For your purposes though they are bright orange and you do see the props a lot better as they spin and it will forsure make the drone look better to a bird.

Two birds one stone?
Just beat me to it @brett8883 - I use these MA prop's myself, but they don't make a huge difference to what you can see of the prop' disk during flight. It's a ligtly orange shaded blur, rather than a light grey blur ... Love my MA prop's for lots of other reasons tho' ...

Reactions: brett8883
Yep I use MA bright orange props but when in flight they are kind of an opaque orange blur - not what I was expecting but they really are great props.

I have a question if you mask off the props and paint white strips on them like you see on full size choppers would they be unblanced? I thought it might keep large birds away.[/QUOT
Check out Master Airscrews. They have colored props.

Check Master Airscrews for different colors.

@DKM.. why are you spamming the thread? we got it the first time

I wonder just how close you are getting to the props? If you are 3’ away you can see them spinning. As far as a safety concern I cant see a benefit for painting lines on your prop. But if you are pimping out your bird I get that. You have to watch the paint though, make sure it doesn’t have solvents like Toluene, Xylene, that can melt the plastic props. Once you find a suitable paint, practice on scrap material. Make the same timed passes, so you have a consistent coat. That will save you from having to balance the props. Hope this helps.

You could always get a set of prop's with the lights - or even the ones that can be programmed to write messages! - and tell the Hawks to - Go Away!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan