DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about postproduction/editing videos

envision36

Reactions
Hello all,

I recently purchased Mavic pro and Sony x3000 4K action cam for my upcoming travels. Now I am faced with the question of whether I should buy a laptop for video editing or should I just edit my videos using android programs such as PowerDirection/Kine Master through my android phone. From what I understand I won’t be able to edit 4K in those programs – only in HD, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying 4K equipment in the 1st place. I have an older laptop which is not powerful enough to work with video editing and buying a new one probably won’t justify the cost considering I am not planning to do video blogging on a regular basis and only edit videos once in a while when I go on trips. Also, does that mean I won’t be able to use any 4K videos from Mavic in my editing unless I change the resolution to HD ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

i have an old computer and edits my 4k footage just fine in premiere pro after creating proxies,it basically scales it to whatever you want, 720 usually works fine so you can edit your footage and then you export your 4k edits .i usually export 4k downscaled to 1080HD unless you have the internet and computer to display it,it still looks really good

Last edited:
Reactions: McToddy
Yes it is a difficult decision. I have been flying about 3 years now, and I am hooked, so as my laptop was old I upgraded to a 4K machine, and no regrets, very fast rendering, and amazing quality, I use Premiere.
However I am now about £5K in to this hobby. 1080P is fine for just about everything, see how much you enjoy it. Not really worth the expense of upgrading unless it becomes a serious hobby. Just my 2 cents worth, actually, I am UK, so just my 2 pence worth.

Hello all,

I recently purchased Mavic pro and Sony x3000 4K action cam for my upcoming travels. Now I am faced with the question of whether I should buy a laptop for video editing or should I just edit my videos using android programs such as PowerDirection/Kine Master through my android phone. From what I understand I won’t be able to edit 4K in those programs – only in HD, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying 4K equipment in the 1st place. I have an older laptop which is not powerful enough to work with video editing and buying a new one probably won’t justify the cost considering I am not planning to do video blogging on a regular basis and only edit videos once in a while when I go on trips. Also, does that mean I won’t be able to use any 4K videos from Mavic in my editing unless I change the resolution to HD ?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Powerdirector does 4k very well on PC. Doing any encoding on a cell phone would take an eternity.

Hello all,

I'm guessing you are not going to save the footage, just create a video and then delete the footage? Keep in mind that most people are not going to view YT videos ion 4k right now anyway. Also, 1080 still looks very good on a computer monitor.

I think PD mobile is much better then Kine. Also, PD is $5 for like and Kine is something like $35/year. If you don't want to invest in a computer to edit 4k then I'd say the video's you put out will probably look just fine in 1080. PD for mobile is nice but you are not going to get great edits using it vs an editor on a computer.

That video is only in 1440, not 4k (2160k on YT).
It IS 4K, if you don't see it it's youtube deciding the device you're viewing on isn't suitable and hides it.

Not the first time you forget about that.

Thanks for all the info, I will try to use PD for mobile for now and will see if that's not enough will eventually consider upgrading to a some form of more advanced machinery once it becomes a more serious hobby.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111