DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules of Festivals Flying Drones over Crowds

apexvids

Reactions
Can a music festival add a clause or somehing to the terms accepted by patrons who buy tickets (their purchase of the ticket is a confirmation of the agreement) that says that buy purchasing a ticket, they agree to be apart of any flight operations conducted during the festival dates (and thus making it legal to fly over crowds with the drone?

Because the FAA regulation says that only people involved in the flight operation are legally allowed to be flown over. So if by purchasing a ticket, customers are agreeing to willingly be apart of any drone ops, would that make flying over the crowds legal?

Can a music festival add a clause or somehing to the terms accepted by patrons who buy tickets (their purchase of the ticket is a confirmation of the agreement) that says that buy purchasing a ticket, they agree to be apart of any flight operations conducted during the festival dates (and thus making it legal to fly over crowds with the drone?

Because the FAA regulation says that only people involved in the flight operation are legally allowed to be flown over. So if by purchasing a ticket, customers are agreeing to willingly be apart of any drone ops, would that make flying over the crowds legal?

What is the drone falls out of the sky?

Reactions: FMR

Nope. Unless you are the RPIC, secondary controller, or observer, you’re not part of the team.
I can’t imagine any promoter considering that clause and not be aware of the potential liability in case something goes wrong.

Jake

Reactions: FMR
Nope. Unless you are the RPIC, secondary controller, or observer, you’re not part of the team.
I can’t imagine any promoter considering that clause and not be aware of the potential liability in case something goes wrong.

Jake

Ok thank you, I definitely understand there would be liability concerns. And thank you for clarifying what “part of the operation” would be. Is that clarification referenced anywhere in the Part 107 rules?

Also, I understand that it may not make them a part of the operation, but is the FAA saying that even if someone gives you consent to fly over them during an op that isn’t a part of the op, that flying over them is still illegal? Wouldn’t their consent texhnically make them an “observer”? Are you aware of whether or not this is mentioned anywhere either? Sorry for the loaded question, I know the law can get ambiguous and all good if you can’t answer some of these. Thank you for your response

Ok thank you, I definitely understand there would be liability concerns. And thank you for clarifying what “part of the operation” would be. Is that clarification referenced anywhere in the Part 107 rules?

Also, I understand that it may not make them a part of the operation, but is the FAA saying that even if someone gives you consent to fly over them during an op that isn’t a part of the op, that flying over them is still illegal? Wouldn’t their consent texhnically make them an “observer”? Are you aware of whether or not this is mentioned anywhere either? Sorry for the loaded question, I know the law can get ambiguous and all good if you can’t answer some of these. Thank you for your response

If you can wade through the silliness, this should give you a sense of what the FAA defines as "Flying Over People"

Jake

If you can wade through the silliness, this should give you a sense of what the FAA defines as "Flying Over People"

Jake

Funny I actually watched that exact vid before posting here. Thank you though it was super informational. It still leaves a little ambiguity in terms of the legality of someone consenting to be flown over. I would call the FAA and ask but I feel like they would just say don’t do it regardless. But I feel like the law is vague in this realm

Funny I actually watched that exact vid before posting here. Thank you though it was super informational. It still leaves a little ambiguity in terms of the legality of someone consenting to be flown over. I would call the FAA and ask but I feel like they would just say don’t do it regardless. But I feel like the law is vague in this realm

Law is meant to safeguard protect people below from injury .
It only becomes vague if you want to find loop holes... then it becomes risky flying

Sort of the same but I asked CASA here if I could fly at a motocross event where the competitors were wearing 'ppe' and the spectators were aware of the chance of an accident or injury. The answer was no. 30 mtrs clear and not to fly over people.

What is the drone falls out of the sky?
What if indeed.... "Oh The Humanity" level stuff I am sure... probably about the same thing that will happen when a can of beer is hurled into the crowd.
We all have read on this forum about the carnage a 1/2 pound drone can cause over a crowd. Death, destruction, people mamed, mass hysteria, The over crowded trauma centers full of "falling drone" injuries. It happens ALL THE TIME it would seem from all the "don't fly drones here" supporters.
As a festival participant, you stand a 100 times better chance of being stabbed by another visitor than you have of a drone falling on you and leaving a bump or scratch.

( this post contains copious amounts of sarcasm with some facts embedded )

• Haha
Reactions: The Fat Controller
DJI has amazing cameras that can capture great footage from a far enough distance without having to fly over anyone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13