DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scammer targeting buyers on classified forums

fgphoto

Reactions
So I had a Mini 3 Pro listed in the classifieds and agreed to sell it to another member after he reached out to me here on the forum. We agreed on a price, he sent the funds, and I mailed it off.

Shortly thereafter he received an unsolicited private message from a different account

"Asde5"​

claiming to be the person behind my user name and trying to sell him the drone using the text from my listing and asking him to email him at a gmail email address.

Fortunately the buyer is a sharp fellow and was able to figure out that it's a scam, but be aware that people are trying to take advantage of buyers by trying to pose as the seller. I have attached a copy of the emails between the scammer and the buyer below. I blocked out the buyer's email and name, but the scammer was using the email [email protected]

Buyers and sellers beware...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 3.19.51 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 3.19.51 PM.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I'm passing this on to @clackey to take a look at.

Reactions: Torque
So I had a Mini 3 Pro listed in the classifieds and agreed to sell it to another member after he reached out to me here on the forum. We agreed on a price, he sent the funds, and I mailed it off.

Shortly thereafter he received an unsolicited email from someone with a completely different name (and email) claiming to be the person behind my user name and trying to sell him the drone using the text from my listing. Fortunately the buyer is a sharp fellow and was able to figure out that it's a scam, but be aware that people are trying to take advantage of buyers by trying to pose as the seller. I have attached a copy of the emails between the scammer and the buyer below. I blocked out the buyer's email and name, but the scammer was using the email [email protected]

Buyers and sellers beware...
Yes, this happens. The question is, how did he get the buyers email address? The email address you mention doesn't have an account here but if you knew the username I could look into it further.

The buyer was messaged by "Asde5"

The email address the OP mentions, [email protected] is found to be on several scammer pages. Google

Reactions: clackey
Thanks for sharing this information. Maybe it’ll save someone from losing their $. 👏

The email address the OP mentions, [email protected] is found to be on several scammer pages. Google
Unfortunately, it seems as though only dealing through third parties such as eBay can we protect ourselves, but at the high cost of the ebay commissions. I just sold an old lens on e-bay for $40.00. I bought an e-bay mailing label USPS for $14.00. That's a total of $54.00 USD. I was only paid $37.00 after e-bay took its cut. But it's still better than losing the item and my money altogether.

Dale

Unfortunately, it seems as though only dealing through third parties such as eBay can we protect ourselves, but at the high cost of the ebay commissions.
Scammers and scams are everywhere, even on Ebay.
You have to be careful wherever you sell.

Scammers and scams are everywhere, even on Ebay.
You have to be careful wherever you sell.
Yes Meta- - there are scammers everywhere, but on e-bay, the seller (me) must be paid before the merchandise is shopped. Just sold an old lens there this week. It was cheap- an old Vivitar 300mm with Nikon F mount. The bidder tried $30, then $35, then after each refusal, he paid my $40.00. E bay determined USPS to be $14.00 so a total of $40+$14.00=$54.00. I would up with only $37.00 after e-bay commission and shipping. Better than having it just lay there in my drawer forever. But I did not ship until my cost was paid for and in my bank account.!!

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Torque
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Ebay scammers are more sophisticated than you imagine.
Hey that was great!!! I read it though twice. I never realized about all of these scams. I thank you for sending this.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1