DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Senators getting impatient with the FAA

I’m sick of our politicians not educating themselves on the topic before creating more laws they can’t enforce. I guess they have no idea that the technology already exists that could ground us if we were in controlled air space. Other manufactures can use the same technology that DJI already uses that keeps us from flying when the president is overhead.. they could easily require other drone manufacturers to implement the same technology ..

Do you all realize that if your flying your drone and a TFR comes into effect , the DJI drone automatically lands? We have experienced this several times here in NJ thanks to our current president living here. You can’t even take off.. the same thing should happen if you are within the air space of a class b-d airport.
Yes... was aware. The same is in another thread here where a TNFZ was initiated during a flight for a pro football game and since he had already flown into the area the poster’s drone auto landed. Don’t know why the drone can’t have programmingthatjust causes it to turn and fly out of these types of NFZs when they come into effect during an ongoing flight.

RTH doesn't need transmission of location data. The AC records it's initial GPS coordinates (gotten by passive sat reception), then during RTH, heads back to its saved location.
Tracking on the map does require transmitting AC location though.
RC only needs to transmit location when you select to change home point to current RC (really mobile device, RC itself has no GPS) location.

Hobbyist always required notifying airports within 5 miles. Part 107 have LAANC in most areas. All that needs to be done is let registered hobbyists participate in LAANCE, and change "notify" to "get permission", which the new law already specifies.
Even before LAANC, electronic notifications were available in Airman. Some airports, such as TIA, provided submitting notifications through a website. It covered two other close by airports.
Unfortunately BKS doesn't support LAANCE. It should though, it's big enough.

Bad news, especially since the senators incorrectly cite unproven possible drone sightings like Gatwick. Don’t they realize that this type of erroneous reporting will continue.

I urge any of you guys who are constituents to contact the signees.
Gatwick drone attack possible inside job, say police Gatwick drone pilot 'could be insider'

Reactions: Thomas B
[ Quote removed by Moderator ]
Here are some of their (Australia) basic rules. (Not sure how accurate the info is though)
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of-sight. This means being able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through a device) at all times.
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 meters (400ft) above the ground.
  • You must keep your drone at least 30 meters away from other people.
  • You must not fly your UAV over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue.
  • You must only fly one UAV at a time.
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include beaches, parks, events, or sport ovals where there is a game in progress.
  • If your drone weighs more than 100g, you must keep at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes.
  • Respect personal privacy. Don’t record or photograph people without their consent—this may breach state laws.
Looks more restrictive to me. I think here in the US we are lucky with what we have now which unfortunately is soon gonna change. We don't have a right to fly rather it's a privilege that we are allowed to... very similar to driving. Problem is when our government people make law, many times they poorly research the issue and or have an agenda of one sort or another. The fake news media hype just makes things worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ Quote removed by Moderator ]
You need to read up. See above.
The opinion expressed is more valid than jingoism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to google that one, jingoism, nice truly
I think the Australian laws listed fall under 'Read the Manual' Common sense.
It's great that is enough for them and imo should be enough for most countries.

Since I stumbled into this thread, I'll try and depart gracefully
Enjoy your Flying

Some things are over done, I tried to take off with my Mavic Air at my son's house in northern Minnesota and it wouldn't take off. I found out there is a private airstrip within a mile of his house and that is about the only thing near his house, but the air strip is listed on the sectionals and probably has a couple of flights out of it a month. My Typhoon H's with fly there even though they also have airport restrictions, but it seems Yuneec did a better job with their limitations. As to DJI's drone tracker I thiink it will only pick up commercially made drones, so if someone wanted to get around that all they have to do is build there own drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign