DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i get the mavic 3 pro ?

So in short u can never utilize the optical zoom while recording ? U can just zoom in digitally ? What about explore mode coz I could find little info only about it...
There is no optical zooming at all, ever. Not in any DJI Mavic, Air, or Mini drone.

There is digital zooming, it's essentially a variable crop of the full sensor image.

I haven't used, or needed "explore" mode.

The day that DJI make a successor to the Mavic 3 pro with a good optical zoom, I'll be buying it.
Having the 24mm equiv wideangle + 70mm equiv short tele and 166mm equiv medium tele cameras is a nice improvement over just having a single wide lens.
But I want to be able to have just one camera with a larger sensor for image quality.
I want to be able to have more choices for composition, to be able to shoot with 35mm, 50mm, 90mm etc equivqlent focal lengths and anything in between.
And my subjects don't stand still and wait for me to fly closer or further away.
You may not realize what you're asking for.

Even the modest zoom range of 35mm to 90mm equiv takes a lot of movable lense elements, and a motor that can be smoothly controlled to do that. You didn't specify aperture, but even at f4.0, that's a very big heavy lens, dictated by physics. Since this is apparently a professional application, you'll want your zoom lens to be free of back-focus problems, and be able to zoom slowly. Bump up the size and cost again. And, unless you can tolerate the aperture varying with focal length, you'll need bigger diameter zoom elements. Up goes the cost and weight again.

Pro cinema cameras will accept lenses like that, along with zoom and follow-focus motors and controls, but they'll have to be carried by a very large aircraft, much bigger than any consumer drone. Even the DJI Matrice doesn't do that, there are different cameras for different focal lengths, and the zoom is a 113mm-405mm only.

You might examine how and why you need a wide range optical zoom on a drone in the first place. The drone is already a highly mobile platform capable of changing positions freely. Can you get the shot that way?

80% of the value is always obtained at 20% of the cost.

Reactions: landmark orbiter
Noise factor. Visibility from far away without disturbance.
Noise works this way: every time you double the distance you cut the sound pressure in half. If you're at 100', the SPL drops by 6dB (half) at 200'. Half again at 400', and so on. Cutting sound pressure in half does NOT make it half as loud. Loudness is perceived differently. Cutting loudness in half requires a 10dB change, and a distance change of just under 4X.

Drone noise is a fact of life. The 7X lens on the M3P does pretty well at getting a closer shot at a distance, but you also change perspective, and slightly loose resolution.

The problem with visibility from a distance without disturbance is the less disturbance you want, the farther away. The farther away, the longer the require focal length. The longer the FL, the bigger the lens, and the bigger the drone. Bigger drones make more noise, and you've slid backwards.

You may not realize what you're asking for.
I have been involved in high level photography for 40 years and flying DJI drones professionally since 2014.
I understand exactly what I said.
You might examine how and why you need a wide range optical zoom on a drone in the first place. The drone is already a highly mobile platform capable of changing positions freely. Can you get the shot that way?
I also know about my work and what a proper zoom lens would do for it when/if they are ever available.
A drone is not highly mobile enough that a zoom lens isn't needed for what I do.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Noise works this way: every time you double the distance you cut the sound pressure in half. If you're at 100', the SPL drops by 6dB (half) at 200'. Half again at 400', and so on. Cutting sound pressure in half does NOT make it half as loud. Loudness is perceived differently. Cutting loudness in half requires a 10dB change, and a distance change of just under 4X.

Drone noise is a fact of life. The 7X lens on the M3P does pretty well at getting a closer shot at a distance, but you also change perspective, and slightly loose resolution.

The problem with visibility from a distance without disturbance is the less disturbance you want, the farther away. The farther away, the longer the require focal length. The longer the FL, the bigger the lens, and the bigger the drone. Bigger drones make more noise, and you've slid backwards.
None of this changes my views of my post #18.

I have been involved in high level photography for 40 years and flying DJI drones professionally since 2014.
I understand exactly what I said.

I also know about my work and what a proper zoom lens would do for it when/if they are ever available.
A drone is not highly mobile enough that a zoom lens isn't needed for what I do.
Ok then. There are many types of photography. And cinematography is very specialized. You didn't say so, so does your 40 years includ cinematography? In general, moving the camera and shooting with a prime is preferred over varifocal zooming. Generally.

What type of work do you do that you must have an optical zoom on a drone?

I don't know of a camera platform that is more mobile than a drone, though if you're working very close, it may not be the best choice. I'm not telling you anything here, just wondering "aloud".

What type of work do you do that you must have an optical zoom on a drone?
Here's what I was photographing two days ago.
DJI_20231011162651_0125a-X3.jpg

It's just short of 1000 ft long and is making 20 knots.
To get a range of shots, I need to be able to go to faster than the subject and if they are pushing into a headwind, that can be difficult or impossible.
I have to be able to get back far enough to get a broadside shot and still be able to race to the back and the front without being left behind.

I don't know of a camera platform that is more mobile than a drone, though if you're working very close, it may not be the best choice.
My subjects aren't static and are almost as mobile as the drone.
Factor in a 15-20 knot headwind and they can leave the drone in their wake.

I only rarely shoot video.
For years I had to make do with a wideangle which limited the variety I was able show.
It's great to finally have the ability to capture different perspectives with the 3 cameras of the Mavic 3 pro.
But I'd really like to have just one camera with a large sensor and be able to shoot narrower than 24mm, wider than 70mm and longer than 70mm instead of being locked into just the 3 options that the Mavic 3 pro has.

I'm well aware of the technical challenges involved in producing a good quality zoom in a conveniently sized drone, but if anyone can do it, it will be DJI.
A couple of years ago, I never imagined a drone with the capabilities of the Mavic 3 pro would have been possible.
Who knows what might be available in the next few years?

Last edited:
Here's what I was photographing two days ago.
DJI_20231011162651_0125a-X3.jpg

It's just short of 1000 ft long and is making 20 knots.
To get a range of shots, I need to be able to go to faster than the subject and if they are pushing into a headwind, that can be difficult or impossible.
I have to be able to get back far enough to get a broadside shot and still be able to race to the back and the front without being left behind.

My subjects aren't static and are almost as mobile as the drone.
Factor in a 15-20 knot headwind and they can leave the drone in their wake.

I only rarely shoot video.
For years I had to make do with a wideangle which limited the variety I was able show.
It's great to finally have the ability to capture different perspectives with the 3 cameras of the Mavic 3 pro.
But I'd really like to have just one camera with a large sensor and be able to shoot narrower than 24mm, wider than 70mm and longer than 70mm instead of being locked into just the 3 options that the Mavic 3 pro has.

I'm well aware of the technical challenges involved in producing a good quality zoom in a conveniently sized drone, but if anyone can do it, it will be DJI.
A couple of years ago, I never imagined a drone with the capabilities of the Mavic 3 pro would have been possible.
Who knows what might be available in the next few years?
Thanks for that info. It describs a very specific application.

If these shots are part of a business, you might want to consider moving out of the consumer drones. For example, the Matrice 30 has a max speed of over 50mph, with higher wind resistance, so you could penetrate a headwind pretty well. It has completely different multiple cameras. It's probably closer to the tool you need. Budget is another question.

It's probably less likely there would be an equivalent in their consumer line, though frankly, the M3P seems about 70% there, perhaps a little shy on your lens requirements, but probably workable. But understand, I'm right now a M3P fan boy. I come from the Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro, so...yeah, loving every bit of it, and still discovering the limitations.

We often face the limitations of tools. I hit this all the time in the digital camera world, both video and DSLR/Mirrorless. My desires exceed my budget, but only on the edges of the bell curve. My real needs don't push the budget most of the time, but the times they do...painful. Can't justify over $10K in camera and lenses, but they sure would be nice. But I face this in every tool. My audio lab can't afford the high-end analysis gear, but my low-end stuff takes care of most of what I'll ever need, so....yeah. And so it goes for every category, woodworking through optics. Got to work with what the budget permits. I like to rent cameras and lenses, have to say. Never have rented a drone, but you can.

Great photos, BTW. I've appreciated all you've shared so far.

you might want to consider moving out of the consumer drones. For example, the Matrice 30 has a max speed of over 50mph, with higher wind resistance, so you could penetrate a headwind pretty well. It has completely different multiple cameras. It's probably closer to the tool you need.
The Matrice 30 is a huge lump of a drone.
It's max speed is 51 mph vs 47 mph for the Matrice 3 - only a little better
It's not a photographer's drone, the cameras it has aren't as good or useful ... and
It costs 3X the price of the Mavic 3.
For where I fly, the Mavic 3 pro will do me just fine for now.

In exploring mode it’s a combination of optical and digital zoom from 1- 28x with optical being at 1/3/7x everything in between is digital…The only draw back it’s only available in normal color profile. Its fun to ‘’ explore’’ your surroundings in hence explore mode….

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13