Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solution for drone harassment?

life.in.nb

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Was following a discussion online, and a lady seems to be having an issue with a drone(georgia) flying over her property and hovering there, sometimes landing in her garden and taking off again. Sometimes 2 times a day.

She asked for suggestions and people said shoot it down. I said don't and explained why.

But it left me thinking, other than informing police, what options does she have?

Flying over property is one thing. Hovering and filming over your property is excessive.

If i was in her shoes and my young daughter was involved...im curious in the states what options you have to put an end to this?

Sorry if this is wrong forum, i wasnt sure.

sometimes landing in her garden and taking off again
If it's landing on the ground, then the pilot is likely nearby. Maybe she should go have a chat with her neighbor (or the neighbor's parents).

Reactions: @Rip and GFields
Her best option would be to get photos/video of the drone hovering and landing in her garden. Then contact the local authorities.

While on the ground she could try covering it with a blanket or beach towel to prevent it taking off again. Then contact the FAA and give them the registration number on the drone (if present). If she traps it on the ground do not return it to the owner. Contact the police or FAA and let them deal with the owner/operator.

As difficult and complicated as this subject is, it is also very simple. Please forgive the wordiness...

I have heard many similar concerns from "some" locals when they first learned I was flying my quad.

"This drone hovers right outside my kitchen window and spies on me... It does it all the time!"

And they have asked me what they can do. I have responded in much the same manner as others in this thread suggest.

Photos are incredibly important! (No offense intended)

Did it REALLY land? Are there photos to document this? Are we taking the word of someone who is overly paranoid?

And who are we to suspect someone is not relaying a legitimate concern?
Not to discount the concern.. I know it is real.

Not to digress, but it is important to point out that:

I think to some degree some are sending signals of distrust and anxiety relating to drones..

In other words, I suspect some situation(s) I have heard about are, or may actually be hypothetical. After some friendly education and communication the concerns seem to go away. In fact, a couple of those most highly concerned have actually asked me to photograph their properties and gardens..

If a sUAS were to fly and linger above my property, that is one thing. Frankly I would first think it is more likely the pilot is doing a photo shoot of another property nearby and chooses the vantage point above my space to do it.

If it were to actually "land" in my space multiple times in a day, I would "ground it" (blanket is a good idea) and document it with photos, etc.

Look for a license. Report it to the authorities, etc. But in the time that takes, it could lead to a confrontation. If one were to "ground a drone" it is likely an unhappy pilot may show up and need to be dealt with.

In my case (with one law enforcement officer per 160 sq mi.) I am willing and capable of doing just that. Make the call first.. Wait for the operator and sort it out. More often than not I suspect an inexperienced pilot is doing the wrong thing.. This can be corrected.

If it weren't licensed, or at least not marked correctly, it is time for education. Discover the motivations whilst recording the encounter, etc. Educate.

A property owner can ask us NOT to fly over his/her property after a first flyover.. And I respect that.. although, I have never encountered that kind of resistance. BUT one would have to know who/where the pilot is to make a case.

As stated in this thread, there are JERKS out there that ignore the law, or just don't know it.. and have essentially no clue or respect for others. They will make it more difficult for all of us to do what we do for a living and for recreation.

Always, always protect Family and friends. Obey the law(s) educate, and fly with respect. Fly safe.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I am sorry... RID? please point me to this info

if the person concerned ,is really being truthful ,and the drone is indeed landing in her garden uninvited on multiple occasions, then that is clearly a breach of her privacy and a potential danger to anyone in the property ,@DoomMeister had the correct answer, to substantiate her claims with photographic evidence, and get the authorities involved

Get a photo and post it on your local Facebook group. If it’s a kid, the parents might see the post and punish accordingly.

Reactions: @Rip
Call the police and ask them what they need to do something about this and log a complaint with them. They very well not respond from the first complaint but a history of the problem is initiated. One may not get the response they want but they can at least get a sense of what the authorities are willing to do. Beats whining about it on Facebook.

I wouldn’t say whining, I’d say informing others in the community about it - if your comment was referencing mine.
No, sorry wasn't referring to your post. I noticed your comment after I posted. I know nothing about using facebook groups so your comment is beyond the scope of my experience. In general, posts of this nature on facebook only generate a lot of hyperbole and trama drama and achieve nothing tangible from my experience reading them.

So I am sorry... RID? please point me to this info... Brain-dead, I am.
Ha, you're not at all brain-dead. You ask a good question.
By the end of this year (essentially) all drones are required to broadcast data regarding drone location and an identifiable number that the FAA can use to identify the owner of the drone. (Personal data is not broadcast.)
If you see someone commit a crime in a car, what do you do? You get the license number. That's what RID is similar to.

Reactions: Torque and @Rip
No, sorry wasn't referring to your post. I noticed your comment after I posted. I know nothing about using facebook groups so your comment is beyond the scope of my experience. In general, posts of this nature on facebook only generate a lot of hyperbole and trama drama and achieve nothing tangible from my experience reading them.
There are a lot of community groups on FB. Our area/neighborhood outside of Seattle has solved two different drone situations (homeowners over reacting "drone hovering in window," etc.). We had a neighbor threatening to shoot down a drone that would fly in the park across the street with lots of people encouraging her to "take it down by any means". FB proved to be a great way to educate these folks. Another woman claimed that a drone would fly and hover in her window. Drone operator ID'd himself and proved that he had passed over her house a few times flying from his house, never paused, never had the camera on her home or window. She could not provide any proof of him "hovering", her only video was of the drone flying quickly past her house. FB can be very effective in my opinion.

Her best option would be to get photos/video of the drone hovering and landing in her garden. Then contact the local authorities.

While on the ground she could try covering it with a blanket or beach towel to prevent it taking off again. Then contact the FAA and give them the registration number on the drone (if present). If she traps it on the ground do not return it to the owner. Contact the police or FAA and let them deal with the owner/operator.
Agree

Hell, if it lands, shoot it then. :) It's not illegal to shoot it while it's on the ground. LOL. I'm kidding of course, but throwing a blanket over it would work.

• Wow
Hell, if it lands, shoot it then. :) It's not illegal to shoot it while it's on the ground. LOL. I'm kidding of course, but throwing a blanket over it would work.
Even with the drone on the ground, in most places discharging a firearm in any circumstance other than self preservation would likely end up as a misdemeanor offense at the least.

So a blanket, towel, fishing net, etc. is the most practical. Then call the authorities.

Was following a discussion online, and a lady seems to be having an issue with a drone(georgia) flying over her property and hovering there, sometimes landing in her garden and taking off again. Sometimes 2 times a day.
Direct her to the "Things that didn't happen" Reddit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas