DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting Up

RB007

Reactions
Hi.
I am getting a drone soon to use as a Estate Agents photographer.
Is there a guide on here on all current laws etc on how to start up in the UK legally and which Drone to buy.
I will be using stills but also making video.
Thanks

Hi.
I am getting a drone soon to use as a Estate Agents photographer.
Is there a guide on here on all current laws etc on how to start up in the UK legally and which Drone to buy.
I will be using stills but also making video.
Thanks
Are you employed by the agency? Or are they intending to use you as a self employed freelancer?
If they are your employers, it is their responsibility to meet all costs for training certificates, insurance and hardware.
If you're going down the freelance path, you need the basic CAA drone certification (FLY/OP registration - free) followed by GB equivalent A2CofC and GVC (not free). These certificates are not mandatory yet, but if you have them you will be in a better position to charge more for what you do. They are also a requirement if you wish to get professional drone insurance and once you have the drone: don't try to get away with recreational drone cover, get professional level third party insurance cover (expensive).
As for the drone: two would be ideal. An Air 2S for long shots, rural deployments and when weather conditions are not ideal.... and a Mini 3/4 Pro for close detail and legitimate use in tight urban environments.
With drones bigger than a Mini, the rules of close approach to people and buildings alter significantly and not in your favour. As already pointed out by the Swedish expert, get the full picture from the CAA - download the current CAP722 and read it through

Last edited:
...Is there a guide on here on all current laws etc on how to start up in the UK legally and which Drone to buy.
Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

When it comes to the legalities around drone flying you can surely find a lot about it here... both correct & incorrect, for your country & other countries.

The best way is to seek that info directly from, in your case, CAA... think this is a good place to start -->
Drones | Civil Aviation Authority

Read there up about everything regarding drone classes, different regulation & what kind of processes you as a drone pilot & operator needs to go through... you will never be able to excuse anything by saying that someone on a forum told you...

Regarding which drone 😁 it's like answering without knowing all the expectations & previous experience... Which camera, car or house should I buy...?

Start out with going though your own requirements when it comes to camera specs, drone size, the different regulations that goes into this depending on drone weights and so on... then scout out DJI's different models to pin point something that could suit most of your needs... then come back for more precise questions.

I have found the CAA very supportive on anything I have raised with them so engage with them if you need to. Otherwise the advice above is spot on. Welcone aboard.

Reactions: old man mavic
Would like to add one other thing that you maybe overlook when thinking of getting drone support...

A "photo"-drone is really easy to start up using... & I would say treacherous easy. But it has some very damaging "ins & outs" or weak spots if you like... that suddenly can leave you as a pilot totally clueless about why you crashed or lost the drone.

They heavily rely on directional & positional data from compasses, IMU's GPS's & various visual sensors on the drone... if those fail to deliver (which they do during some circumstances) you will end up with a drone that just drifts around instead of just hovering where you leave it... or in worst case goes haywire.

So what seemed to be so easy to begin with & went so good for a long time... suddenly ends with a disaster, just because these kind of drones doesn't push you to acquire the knowledge you actually need to fly safe & getting the drone back in one piece. And if trying to use this "tool" commercially... this is nothing you want to experience around a clients property.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to be prepared to set off time to learn just the maneuvering & how the drone really works (and when it doesn't) to avoid these kind of disasters.

If you anyway want to get some commercially out from it directly, keep it outdoors on height, in good lightening, & well away from any kind of obstacles & don't even think of trying out interior shots. But honestly, if you care for your reputation as a estate agents photographer... you don't just go out & buy a drone & put it to work directly.

@RB007 some wonderful advice from the posts above,in a nutshell flying a drone commercially, is something that requires gaining knowledge,obtaining the correct training ,and special insurance cover, if you wish to do it correctly, and within the guidelines
this will require commitment ,effort ,and financial outlay ,to ensure success, and will not be an overnight money spinner ,good luck in your venture going forwards

Reactions: BigAl07
WELCOME to the forum!!

I want to give some "not so pleasant" advice . . .

1) You want to be more than just "a drone guy". There was a time when this was a viable (although short lived) business model. With the price of a decent "Camera Drone" so low and the "ease" of flying them has made the bar for entry ridiculously low. Realtors want "efficiency" as well as "Convenience". Become a Real Estate Photography Professional and be their Go-To for anything Real Estate related instead of "just drones".This way they make one phone call, email, text, or online form and they get a Full Service Package instead of needing to call (and schedule) multiple people.

2) Have a solid fundamental background in Photography under your belt. Know how to operate a CAMERA in manual mode and understand the "Exposure Triangle". This will set you ahead of 3/4 of all "Drone Operators" from day one.

3) Before you invest the first penny (or whatever it's called in your region) take the time to plan ahead and develop a complete and very comprehensive Business Plan. I'm not talking about the 1-2 page template you find on the web. I'm talking about a full blown Business Plan where you learn about YOUR Business inside and out. You'll learn how to market, budget, and one of the most important aspects of business - How to PRICE your services.

4) Don't go head first into DEBT to start your business. Plan, save, and buy as you can. Don't go out and buy that flashy branded SUV, custom polo shirts, the latest and greatest Drone Package on the market. It makes no sense to start your business off digging a hole of debt when you can do it with CASH and owe no one from day one. It's not just theory, that's exactly how we started our business back pre-2013. I was able to retire (at 53) from a very lucrative Corp job in 2022 and do this full time. I made the most $$ in 2023 I've ever made in my life and I did it working just a few days a week or when I worked every day it was only a couple of hours and on MY SCHEDULE!!

Be smart and you'll be thankful for many many years to come.

If you want to have a long-term business, have fun while making really good MONEY, then invest the time and effort to do it right from the get-go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne