DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Startup mode question

hedbonker

Reactions
Whenever I fire up the AIR 3, I have the remote on 1st, and my iPhone says it's connected. Then I power up the drone and it goes through it's initial startup process and all of that is fine. But I always have the remote set to C mode and the app says it's in N mode. I switch to N and back to C and everything is fine from there on out. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:
Whenever I fire up the AIR 3, I have the remove on 1st, and my iPhone says it's connected. Then I power up the drone and it goes through it's initial startup process and all of that is fine. But I always have the remote set to C mode and the app says it's in N mode. I switch to N and back to C and everything is fine from there on out. Anyone else notice this?
This is normal and does exactly the same thing with Mavic 3's. Regardless of where the mode switch is, the app defaults to N mode on startup.

There will probably be disagreement, but I've always thought allowing takeoff with the switch not set to N a big usability mistake.

There will probably be disagreement, but I've always thought allowing takeoff with the switch not set to N a big usability mistake.
expand...
To Clarify, DJI Fly defaults to N mode (regardless of switch position) when first powered up only.
It is possible to switch positions after power up (and before take off) and then yes you can start the props and take off in all 3 modes.
It's also possible to land in S or C mode and take off again in the same mode. So those of you thinking taking off in other modes than N isn't allowed, it is and is perfectly safe, as long as you are aware of the mode you have selected.

Couldn't quite follow you there, @3rdof5...

The issue is simply that all DJI drones take off in N mode, regardless of the mode switch position.

after takeoff, it will stay in N mode if the switch was set to C or S until deliberately switched to N, then the C or S modes can be activated.

This obviously can be confusing. I understand the forced N mode on takeoff, and agree it's a good safety design decision. I don't understand why the pilot is not forced to set the switch to N before takeoff so it actually matches the flight mode when taking off. It would be trivial to implement.

While some might find this annoying, others of us find it very annoying once in flight and focused on that, to then be reminded we need to switch back to N before the desired action can be commanded.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Couldn't quite follow you there, @3rdof5...

The issue is simply that all DJI drones take off in N mode, regardless of the mode switch position.

after takeoff, it will stay in N mode if the switch was set to C or S until deliberately switched to N, then the C or S modes can be activated.

This obviously can be confusing. I understand the forced N mode on takeoff, and agree it's a good safety design decision. I don't understand why the pilot is not forced to set the switch to N before takeoff so it actually matches the flight mode when taking off. It would be trivial to implement.

While some might find this annoying, others of us find it very annoying once in flight and focused on that, to then be reminded we need to switch back to N before the desired action can be commanded.
Indeed. That would be much better error trapping and notification!
"Return the mode switch to N before arming the motors."

Kind of like the LED landing lights that DJI no longer allows to be activated on the bench unless the motors are first armed. It was first implemented on the Mavic 3. Led to lots of returned drones for "defective landing lights!" DJI finally added a dialogue warning in a FW update, "Landing lights can only be activated in flight." No more unrealistic expectations, leading to wasted returns for operating as designed!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1