DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suddenly getting gimbal overload error

merk

Reactions
About 2 months ago i clipped some tree branches and the gimbal cable got damaged. I took the mavic apart and replaced the cable and all was good.

Suddenly today during a flight, the gimbal stopped responding to remote commands and was giving me a gimbal motor overload error. Landed - tried restarting everything a few times - tried waiting a few minutes in case it overheated - still get the gimbal overload error.

I'm guessing the cable popped out or something. But before i take it apart, if that cable pops out, would the gimbal still move? Because when i start up the mavic, it still goes through it's regular startup routine where the gimbal moves around for 2-3 seconds. And if i try moving the camera using the remote, the gimbal will go through those movements again as well. So that's making me wonder if it could still be the cable since it does seem to be responding somewhat.

The up/down and rotating left and right appear to be working. I'm not sure if the one that rotates the camera from horizontal to vertical is working or not. If i try and change the orientation using the remote i don't see anything moving. But on my screen, the picture changes orientation.

It looks like it is changing orientation on startup, but I can't tell if it's moving because the motor is moving it, or it's just moving from the movement caused by the other two motors.

I took it all apart today to see if i could find anything obviously wrong - i didn't see anything that looked obviously broken. I did however notice that the gimbal motors seemed to get VERY warm, almost hot. I'm not sure if that's normal or not since I never checked it before. My gut says it shouldn't do that since it's not like the motor was constantly running.

Where did you get your replacement ribbon cable because most sold on say ebay are scams.
This sounds like a faulty ribbon cable or possible your camera board (where the ribbon cable, video cable, and sensors attach on top of the vibration board). Just remember to be careful with the GPS cable when removing the top shell.
Your gimbal should never be VERY warm.

I got it off amazon from fstop labs - i think someone on these forums recommended them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDVFM8X

Someone else mentioned the board as well. If the camera board controls the camera, i don't think thats it since the camera itself still works. Is there any definitive way to tell whats actually broken? At least then I'd know if it's worth trying to repair it or not. Right now I'd just be guessing if i ordered a new gimbal. The fact that it shouldn't be that warm though makes me think it is the gimbal, or i guess something could be shorting out somewhere.

I got it off amazon from fstop labs - i think someone on these forums recommended them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDVFM8X

Someone else mentioned the board as well. If the camera board controls the camera, i don't think thats it since the camera itself still works. Is there any definitive way to tell whats actually broken? At least then I'd know if it's worth trying to repair it or not. Right now I'd just be guessing if i ordered a new gimbal. The fact that it shouldn't be that warm though makes me think it is the gimbal, or i guess something could be shorting out somewhere.

The gimbal control board does more than just video feed. It’s connected to the video feed, gimbal motors and vision sensors. First inspect the motors closely to see if anything is obstructing them as well as if there is any separation of the motors.

The gimbal control board does more than just video feed. It’s connected to the video feed, gimbal motors and vision sensors. First inspect the motors closely to see if anything is obstructing them as well as if there is any separation of the motors.
What do you mean by separation of the motors? I didn't notice anything obstructing the motors - then again i didn't specifically look for that. Although I doubt that's the issue since this started happening while it was in mid-flight. But I'll check for that either way. Thanks

By separation of the motors i was talking about each gimbal motor, yaw, pich and roll. It is worth repairing as long as the gimbal isnt bent and all 3 motors are undamaged. Re-check all 4 ribbon cable connections. Mavic cameras cameras can be tricky but we have had a lot of success with them.

Nothing is bent - i didn't crash into anything when this started happening. It was in midflight and just stopped working. I did check the ribbon cable connections and they all seem to be secure.

So i replaced the gimbal today and still getting the same error - gimbal overload. I've tried looking for a replacement control board but no one seems to sell it. All I have found is someplace that sells the entire gimbal, camera and board together. Don't suppose anyone knows someplace where i can get just the board? Or any other suggestions for trying to fix this.

Your google-foo is better then mine - i could not find anyone selling them. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er