DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunny 16...will it work

Drone on

Reactions
Hi all,

In Photography, there is a formula for correct exposure, which states that under sunny conditions a camera (film or digital) can expose the image correctly if the aperture is set to 16 (sunny 16), and the shutter speed is the inverse of the iso (ASA for film). For example, when sunny, set the aperture to 16, the iso to 100, and the shutter speed 1/100th of one second will yield a correct exposure.

Does anyone who owns a M2P know if this will work for video as well? I guess my real question is what is the difference between shutter speed and frames per second?

I would test this myself, but I don't own a M2P.

thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but the Mavic 2 Pro can't be set to an F16 aperture, F11 is the smallest aperture that can be selected.
Well, that kills that unless it's a broken cloud sky.

Thanks for your reply

I was hoping that having that as an option would eliminate changing exposures as the drone travels, and yes I am aware of AE and AE lock

Hi all,

In Photography, there is a formula for correct exposure, which states that under sunny conditions a camera (film or digital) can expose the image correctly if the aperture is set to 16 (sunny 16), and the shutter speed is the inverse of the iso (ASA for film). For example, when sunny, set the aperture to 16, the iso to 100, and the shutter speed 1/100th of one second will yield a correct exposure.

Does anyone who owns a M2P know if this will work for video as well? I guess my real question is what is the difference between shutter speed and frames per second?

I would test this myself, but I don't own a M2P.

thanks
Yes, the sunny 16 rule works. The equivalent sunny 16 exposure at F/5.6 @ 100 ISO = 1/800 sec (3 stops less exposure for 3 stops increase in aperture) I've found F/5.6 to be the 'sweet spot' for best performance for stills on my M2P for bright sun with distinct shadows.

Yes, this also works for video, but there are other issues with video where you would want to use slower shutter speeds, hence the need for neutral density filters.

Last edited:
Setting such a small apature on the mavic, the smallest being f11 anyway, would be like setting a DSLR to its smallest apature and render any image very soft with little usable quality, so as “drone on” said the sweet spot for sharpness on the MP2 Pro is f/5.6, so that, along with a 100 iso is your fixed starting point, to achieve the desired shutter speed you need to use ND filters.

Yes, the sunny 16 rule works. The equivalent sunny 16 exposure at F/5.6 @ 100 ISO = 1/800 sec (3 stops less exposure for 3 stops increase in aperture) I've found F/5.6 to be the 'sweet spot' for best performance for stills on my M2P for bright sun with distinct shadows.

Yes, this also works for video, but there are other issues with video where you would want to use slower shutter speeds, hence the need for neutral density filters.
Perfect!
Thank you for your reply

Reactions: Thoraldus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er