DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The 919 Tribute Tour: On-board record lap, Nordschleife.

xunhui

Reactions
Would absolutely love to run this track at least once. I know it's not a drone but it is a machine and we all do love our machines, air, ground, water, whatever it might be. The video is over 2 years old but I just can't get enough of it. Please, please, please just once.

How Porsche Built a Car faster Than F1

I've watched this lap many times and it never fails to completely blow me away and I think it's one of the greatest laps there will ever be between the incredible power and speed of the de-restricted Porsche 919 and the crazy Nurburgring. Unlike other tracks it's not been modernised so there's no proper run offs for most of the track and the surface itself is quite bumpy and very slippery in places, if you watch the drivers helmet you can see how much the car is moving around on the surface, at any moment through no fault of the driver he could be thrown off the track and have a horrible crash even with the modern car around him. Yet despite all that he's absolutely hammering the car round the track.

I'd highly recommend going to the Nurburgring as it's every bit as impressive as it sounds and actually more so I'd say, I was worried the first time I went it just wouldn't be as special as it seemed but it just feels special every time. Even when you're not at the track there's a near constant background of cars roaring along and the small towns are filled with all manner of sports cars and motorbikes.

I was hoping to do the Rad am Ring this year which is a 24 hour pedal bike race on the track which I thought would be awesome since you'd be able to see the track properly, when you're driving round it just seems over almost immediately but on the bike you could really take it in.

I'd highly recommend watching the Nurburgring 24 which is being held in September this year. At Le mans there's around 60 cars racing in four different classes effectively four races at the same time on the same track but for the Nurburgring 24 there are over 200 cars racing in around 22 classes ranging from factory GT3 teams at the front all the way to amateurs in Golfs and Clios at the back. The long circuit brings many challenges and mixing that with a 24 hour race and over 200 cars is usually quite an impressive sight, it's usually streamed for free as well.

While Spa isn't quite as crazy as the Ring it's still quite similar and an awesome track, they also have a 24 hour race being held in October this time which consists of 60 cars but unusually they're all the same GT3 spec and instead split by the driver skill level (Pro, Pro/Am, Amateur). I'm a huge fan of GT3 as it has a much wider range of cars that look and sound great (it doesn't have the same restriction GTE cars in Le Man do where the race car must closely match the road car) and they really do justice to the Spa track especially when you see them all powering through Eau Rouge for the first time:

Reactions: xunhui
I've put some pictures in this post but put it behind a spoiler so people who don't want to have the thread flooded with pictures can ignore them.

My first lap round the Nurburgring in my Seat Toledo:

359731817_YCWr7-O-X3.jpg

We paid to be taken round in a BMW M5 driven by Sabine Schmitz and it was a completely crazy lap with her incredible ability and a big car like that just didn't feel like it should be physically possible to drive it like she did especially when it was sliding sideways round a corner facing the barrier, overtaking another car all while she was grinning and laughing:

BMW-M5-Other-1-X3.jpg

One of the oddities of the track is that anything goes on it, buses, trucks, old military vehicles and this possibly non-genuine ring taxi:

VW-Transport-Blue-X3.jpg

When we organised to go back I decided not to take my own car because the Scotland to continental Europe had stopped, it was a long drive on my own and I'd bought a new car which I wasn't so keen to thrash round the track since the Seat had never quite been right since its time on the track with some more creaks in panels and a leak at the rear of the car. Instead I flew down, met my friend in London and we drove across in his car and hired a car for the track:

P1020961-X3.jpg

We didn't want anything too fast because the track is genuinely dangerous and the insurance costs are horrific so we settled on a Renault Clio RS200 with a two litre 200bhp engine. I struggled with it initially because its high revving non turbocharged engine had a very narrow power band at the top of the rev range and it was the opposite of my low revving turbodiesel plus it had a terrible gear shift. Once you were familiar with it though it was an amazing little track with fantastic balance on the corners unlike the very nose heavy diesel I was used to, we were able to overtake a fair number of other cars this time.

We had a long gap while my friend had kids and wasn't allowed to go risking his life round the Ring but a couple of years ago we went back. I have a Mazda6 now which I think has pretty nice handling but again didn't want to wreck it on the track and since I don't drive much, I decided this time I'd pay to be driven round but wouldn't drive myself and paid for a lap in a Jaguar F-type SVR:

DSC_8571-X3.jpg

Sadly it was a bit wet but still a fantastic lap. Of course I couldn't leave without doing a lap myself so paid to hire a little Suzuki Swift for a couple of laps. This was only 140bhp and didn't have much speed in the straights but whereas the Clio was pretty much just the road going car, the Swift's had been converted to track cars so the inside had been gutted out, race seats and roll cage fitted, lowered suspension, sports exhaust, sticky tyres etc. I wasn't confident enough to get the speed in the corners but still of course fun, mine was the 'Iron Man' car with the red/gold colours and IM in the number plate (same one Guy Martin drives in his documentary):

DSC_8691-L.jpg

A few of the other cars on the track:

The mighty Mercedes AMG GT:

DSC_8749-X3.jpg

Oops, a common sight:
DSC_8720-X3.jpg

A Rover Metro/100, a 'classic' British car and one of these was my first car. It went to the scrap dealer because the rust was so bad it could no longer be saved and it had blown the head gasket, all entirely typical for this type of car. How this one is still running I've no idea:

DSC_9324-X3.jpg

Not the sportiest of cars:

DSC_9345-X3.jpg

Some tourers:
DSC_9547-X3.jpg

This next one is particularly fun:

DSC_8637-X3.jpg

I was speaking to a different friend about how slow my Seat felt on the track despite being reasonably quick in legal limits, I wasn't getting much over 120mph and some of the really fast cars are just belting past you like you're sitting still. My friend laughed at this and told me how he'd done the Mongol rally the same as the Yaris above, they'd chosen an early 90's Nissan Micra because they were known for their reliability and simplicity. As they were passing through Germany they decided they would do a lap of the Ring, the plan was they would park up, drop off all the excess stuff (they had lots of spares, tents, luggage etc.) and then do the lap. They couldn't get parked though so swiped through the barrier to go into the overflow carpark but realised they'd made a horrible mistake and had driven onto the main track in a 20 year old, one litre Nissan laden to the hilt. They couldn't even get up to 60mph in the straights so pointed out my car wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was for them.

The track is dangerous particularly for motorcyclists since there's little in the way of runoffs so if you come off it's often going to be bad yet there's plenty of bikes on the same time as the cars:
DSC_9482-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xunhui

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078