DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 The river Crouch by mountain bike

Doginabag

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
First proper post here, and already not my normal type of video.

Trying to get away from my usual thing of rocking up to a location and getting what I can, this time I set myself a brief. Ride the length of the River Crouch, which is local to me, and create a video along the way showcasing the various landmarks and locations along the way.

Wasn't sure whether best to post here or in the critique forum, but either way feedback is always welcome.

A few seconds more on the Centenary Walk sign would have been good. I couldn't read it before it was all gone. When I fail to hold a scene like that I just create a freeze frame for a few seconds and then it seamlessly continues. Likewise the Brandy Hole frame was too short to look at what was in the frame. At 1:44 you do an over view of what was shown at 1:25 and ...dunno...maybe you decided to do the closeup first but if you'd have done the wide shot first it would have given (for me) more meaning to what I was looking at at 1:25. Same comment about the Fambridge (?) title scene...In general I think several of the scenes were just too quick for anyone to "get" them but you did a really nice job filming, that's for sure. The speed up for a moment was fun. I tend to think that 7+ min is a bit long. I used to create videos that were that long and longer but have learned, or come to believe, that most folks really don't want to see anything much longer than 4 or 5min max. The house with open windows in the field would have been an exmple I would have shown once for about 5 sec and then onward. Regardless I know how much editing you did and congratulations on all of this. It was really well done and I make my comments only because you 'asked for it' :). Well done.

Great vid, a bit long but I dont mind.
A small thing bothered me, during that 7+ min. I could not see where it was all occurring.
Not being a local, I dont have a clue where it is, no cars to see if its European style driving etc.. (maybe I overlooked something)
Its nice to know where we are looking at without having to use Google Earth.
This is just a personal opinion, just a suggestion LOL.
This was great vid and i enjoyed the music.
Thanks

Reactions: michaeldallen1
First proper post here, and already not my normal type of video.

Trying to get away from my usual thing of rocking up to a location and getting what I can, this time I set myself a brief. Ride the length of the River Crouch, which is local to me, and create a video along the way showcasing the various landmarks and locations along the way.

Wasn't sure whether best to post here or in the critique forum, but either way feedback is always welcome.

Wow what a brilliant video thanks for sharing

Reactions: Doginabag
A few seconds more on the Centenary Walk sign would have been good. I couldn't read it before it was all gone. When I fail to hold a scene like that I just create a freeze frame for a few seconds and then it seamlessly continues. Likewise the Brandy Hole frame was too short to look at what was in the frame. At 1:44 you do an over view of what was shown at 1:25 and ...dunno...maybe you decided to do the closeup first but if you'd have done the wide shot first it would have given (for me) more meaning to what I was looking at at 1:25. Same comment about the Fambridge (?) title scene...In general I think several of the scenes were just too quick for anyone to "get" them but you did a really nice job filming, that's for sure. The speed up for a moment was fun. I tend to think that 7+ min is a bit long. I used to create videos that were that long and longer but have learned, or come to believe, that most folks really don't want to see anything much longer than 4 or 5min max. The house with open windows in the field would have been an exmple I would have shown once for about 5 sec and then onward. Regardless I know how much editing you did and congratulations on all of this. It was really well done and I make my comments only because you 'asked for it' :). Well done.
Thank you, this is some really good concise feedback, I appreciate you taking the time!
Agree with all you said, I think you have picked up on a couple of things I know are common faults of mine.

I have been trying to get into the habit of slowing down my workflow and once finishing a video giving it a day or two before publishing. I found from doing this I find the little niggly things that I otherwise miss during a heavy editing session and it gives me a chance to go back and fix them before I put the video out in the wild. On this occasion it had been quite a while since my last video and I fell back into my old ways and published it straight away.

The other is I find it hard to resist putting in any clip that looks good, which you picked up on with the abandoned house. Maybe it the novelty of this all still being quite new, but I need to learn that shots can be cut for reasons other than them being not very good.

Generally my videos are around 2-3 minutes, but that is for single subjects so even then maybe a little too long still. I was aware that I was trying to cram a lot into this one covering a fairly lengthy journey. The sped up clips was a way to try and show everything that I wanted to while keeping the duration down as low as possible, otherwise it would have been a 15 minute film.

I will certainly 'ask for it' again. :)

Great vid, a bit long but I dont mind.
A small thing bothered me, during that 7+ min. I could not see where it was all occurring.
Not being a local, I dont have a clue where it is, no cars to see if its European style driving etc.. (maybe I overlooked something)
Its nice to know where we are looking at without having to use Google Earth.
This is just a personal opinion, just a suggestion LOL.
This was great vid and i enjoyed the music.
Thanks
Thank you.
That's a fair point. When I was making it I had in mind that I would be share it on local/community pages as it is an area that people here are aware of, but most are not familiar as it is not particularly accessible. While I have a very small following on youtube, I should keep in mind that these videos can be watched by people all over the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_