DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is the latest news out of New York City Concerning the Flying of Drones…

Dead issue....all of you arguing about this are from outside the area and really not effected by it...for the most part people who live in this area ( I am outside the City, but would love to fly there) understand the need for such control over the hobby, and know the places ( although very few) where it is completely legal to fly.....the current NYC laws prohibit Launching, controlling and landing within the City....there are places you can fly from and enter City airspace and fly problem free. It really is not the big deal you are making of it.
Really, just let this one slide and hope it doesn't eventually spread to all the other major metro areas who feel like "drones" are the problem? Just so I understand, you agree with all this, right? As long as they leave you alone and you're allowed to fly freely in a few other places, you're ok with this trend?

Also tell us more about this "need for such control over the hobby" in your area, are you saying the City has special needs that other places just don't have and thus it's ok what is going on there? If it's a dead issue, why does the mayor continue to make such pronouncements and what are there articles still written about it, do we just don't understand? ☺️

Reactions: thispilothere
Dead issue....all of you arguing about this are from outside the area and really not effected by it...for the most part people who live in this area ( I am outside the City, but would love to fly there) understand the need for such control over the hobby, and know the places ( although very few) where it is completely legal to fly.....the current NYC laws prohibit Launching, controlling and landing within the City....there are places you can fly from and enter City airspace and fly problem free. It really is not the big deal you are making of it.
As Ben Franklin said, ""Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, are making a wise compromise."

Sure, it's obvious that the NYPD is attempting an end run around the FAA that we all agree is the authority empowered by the people to regulate air space. Of course the $150 fee is just meant to shut it all down. Yes, the critical infrastructure talk is obvious fear mongering nonsense. Sure, it is intended to restrict the press from revealing impartial stories as guaranteed by the 1st amendment. Maybe there have been a vanishingly small number of threats from hobby drones but a pre-emptive law is best.

We all have to learn that government is full of experts who know better than we do. As Ben Franklin also said, "Republics…derive their strength and vigor from a popular examination into the action of their fellow citizens by the government."

NYPD will be using drones on the beaches so you probably won't get to fly your drone on the beach;
OK, this may seem off the wall, but if you put on boots and stand in the water (not deep, jsut ankle high) so you are not on the beach, could you then launch and control your drone from there? You would then need to be proficent with hand launching and hand landing...

the current NYC laws prohibit Launching, controlling and landing within the City....
I just posted about flying at the beach and coudl you wear boots (now it's cold...) and stand in just a few inches of water, just off the beach and fly your drone fromt here,,, I do not know if NYC thinks the also control the waves...

Reactions: Torque
OK, this may seem off the wall, but if you put on boots and stand in the water (not deep, jsut ankle high) so you are not on the beach, could you then launch and control your drone from there? You would then need to be proficent with hand launching and hand landing...
States control waters offshore for 3 - 12 miles.

I just posted about flying at the beach and coudl you wear boots (now it's cold...) and stand in just a few inches of water, just off the beach and fly your drone fromt here,,, I do not know if NYC thinks the also control the waves...
Good point...but it is the Ocean, so you could very likely get knocked over
States control waters offshore for 3 - 12 miles.
New York City isn't a State...the City as owner of the beach would own to the low tide mark, I believe...so to go in the water beyond that would be problematic...the reason drones have been used has been to spot sharks, which has become a real problem that did not exist a few years ago

Reactions: LoudThunder
Really, just let this one slide and hope it doesn't eventually spread to all the other major metro areas who feel like "drones" are the problem? Just so I understand, you agree with all this, right? As long as they leave you alone and you're allowed to fly freely in a few other places, you're ok with this trend?

Also tell us more about this "need for such control over the hobby" in your area, are you saying the City has special needs that other places just don't have and thus it's ok what is going on there? If it's a dead issue, why does the mayor continue to make such pronouncements and what are there articles still written about it, do we just don't understand? ☺️
Maybe you should take a ride to New York City to see first hand where you think you should be able to fly.....you might understand that an area with a population density of 29,300 people per square mile is not a great place to fly. Pretty unique in that regard and does create that "special need" . Your argument is all rhetoric and based on an uninformed opinion..... this is not letting anything "slide" ...it isn't a "trend" ...As you are really not effected by this I don't understand you strong feelings about it...and as far as I can recall the mayor has not been in the news with any "pronouncements" regarding drone regulations in a long time ...I believe last July...the "articles" are in Drone News.....nothing on local news channels or Newspapers ......responding to your last question the answer is....apparently not.

New York City isn't a State...the City as owner of the beach would own to the low tide mark, I believe...so to go in the water beyond that would be problematic...the reason drones have been used has been to spot sharks, which has become a real problem that did not exist a few years ago
Just take a close look at a map....you can take it from there.

Maybe you should take a ride to New York City to see first hand where you think you should be able to fly.....you might understand that an area with a population density of 29,300 people per square mile is not a great place to fly. Pretty unique in that regard and does create that "special need" . Your argument is all rhetoric and based on an uninformed opinion..... this is not letting anything "slide" ...it isn't a "trend" ...As you are really not effected by this I don't understand you strong feelings about it...and as far as I can recall the mayor has not been in the news with any "pronouncements" regarding drone regulations in a long time ...I believe last July...the "articles" are in Drone News.....nothing on local news channels or Newspapers ......responding to your last question the answer is....apparently not.
"Nobody’s Free Until Everybody’s Free."

Whether or not it's a good idea to fly in the densely populated city is a moot point. The FAA has sole authority over safely regulated the NAS. NYC does not. NY State does not.
NYC has enacted a de facto ban on flying in the city. They don't possess that authority. The feds should shut it down.

Whether or not it's a good idea to fly in the densely populated city is a moot point. The FAA has sole authority over safely regulated the NAS. NYC does not. NY State does not.
NYC has enacted a de facto ban on flying in the city. They don't possess that authority. The feds should shut it down.
Just a reminder, the ground is not National Air Space. Local authorities CAN and do regulate how it is used. The FAA has zero authority there.

Just a reminder, the ground is not National Air Space. Local authorities CAN and do regulate how it is used. The FAA has zero authority there.
So when the deny I permit, does it says it's unsafe to launch and land, or unsafe to fly due to congestion?

We'll I wouldn't say zero. If you are not flying a drone and you are standing there with all your equipment getting ready to fly, does the FAA have *any* authority or do they have to wait for you to "lift off." Or, if you are flying and you land your drone, does the FAA authority end at that point?

Just so everyone is clear, there are parts of the City where it is legal to fly....this video was filmed completely legally in NYC by forum member @projectarjun
Of course it is possible to legally fly a drone in NYC since drones are not prohibited. As long as you fly when and where they tell you that you can (whether by permit or by designation, no worries). Just remember, at any point they can change their mind and tell you that you cannot fly. Unlike the FAA where they have rules about LAANC approvals and TFR, New York City flyers do so at the pleasure of the city government. Hopefully someone will challenge the restrictions and we get a few legal rulings in our favor.

We'll I wouldn't say zero. If you are not flying a drone and you are standing there with all your equipment getting ready to fly, does the FAA have *any* authority or do they have to wait for you to "lift off." Or, if you are flying and you land your drone, does the FAA authority end at that point?
Exactly as you say.

the City as owner of the beach would own to the low tide mark,
I am just brainstorming some thoughts. I know that some of the members from countries other than the US, perhaps the UK, have some issues with flying in or near various classes of property and standing in the water, just off the beach allows them to fly…

I doubt that the NYC cops understand the high/low tide issues… I live near the Chesapeake Bay and the beach front property owners also own out to the "mean low water mark" but they seem to think it extends to the other side of the world… L o L . . . Just as some home owners think they own all the airspace above their home…

I have a cabin in the Adirondack Mountains on the Schroon River and I cannot fly from my own property (the state has classified it as Primitive Wilderness) but the river is not prohibited. So if I stand in the river in front of my cabin or go out my one of my boats, I can fly… And luckily, there are no "river sharks…"

Reactions: MARK (LI)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc