DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

thoughts on lens flare

deebs101

Reactions
Im still a new pilot, and slowly getting the hang of basic photo editing. I snapped a quick sunset pic the other night and wanted some advise on whether to keep or remove the lens flare.
Thanks!

Shot with my Mavic Air 2 wearing an ND4/PL

DJI_0053.JPG.jpg

Reactions: wesleydk
Im still a new pilot, and slowly getting the hang of basic photo editing. I snapped a quick sunset pic the other night and wanted some advise on whether to keep or remove the lens flare.
Thanks!

View attachment 109197
The lens flare here would be easy to remove in LightRoom or Luminary’s 4. I do landscape photography and a ND filter is of no use unless I’m trying to slooowww the shutter speed or open the aperture intentionally. Additional glass in front of the lens can contribute to lens flare. Finally a polarizing filter pointed at the sun has little use - at least in my hands. Now with drones we attach filters appropriate for a regional shoot and/or video. The ND filter can be important in video mode but rarely in still drone photography

Thanks!

View attachment 109197
Totally agree with previous post : ND filters on photography only helps to get lens flares.

I think that keep or remove them, it's your decision. Some lens flare are beautiful to see, others horrible

Reactions: deebs101
Edit, Ninjad byeutx9795
Sometimes lens flare can add to a picture bit in this instance I would remove the flare in the centre.
It's all in the eye of the beholder, if you like it leave it if not it’s open a photo editor & remove it.

The lens flare here would be easy to remove in LightRoom or Luminary’s 4. I do landscape photography and a ND filter is of no use unless I’m trying to slooowww the shutter speed or open the aperture intentionally. Additional glass in front of the lens can contribute to lens flare. Finally a polarizing filter pointed at the sun has little use - at least in my hands. Now with drones we attach filters appropriate for a regional shoot and/or video. The ND filter can be important in video mode but rarely in still drone photography
Oh wow! I had no idea that nd filters don't do much for photos, thats really good to know and i'll start to experiment more with that. Does the nd filter for photos make them more difficult to edit afterwards? Is it one of those things where im actually limiting the amount of info the RAW will have?

Oh wow! I had no idea that nd filters don't do much for photos, thats really good to know and i'll start to experiment more with that. Does the nd filter for photos make them more difficult to edit afterwards? Is it one of those things where im actually limiting the amount of info the RAW will have?

ND filters are sun glasses for your camera, all they do is block light entering the lens.

In photography they can allow long exposures, in video they let you set the shutter speed to twice the frame rate.

ND filters only change the exposure getting to the sensor, nothing more. Any photographic effect is only from an exposure change, which can be completely controlled by the camera settings.

The more glass surfaces you have between the object and the image sensor the more flare problems you will have.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89