DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tourist with already registered drone, visiting your country

Capra Vecinului

Reactions
I have seen in numerous posts and threads that even a tourist has to register his home-brought drone in the USA for example, if he plans to fly his drone there.
Well, here's my question: I am allowed to drive my car, motorcycle, airplane etc. in the US without a new registration, since it is already registered in my home country, by a certified authority. Why in heaven's name do I have to re-register my drone in the US again?? It's not about the fee (5 USD) I'm complaining, it's about the principle. I mean, it is already registered as an aircraft is my country of origin; the authority which issued the registration is internationally certified; the drone has the same registration logic as a "true aircraft" (YR = international aircraft code for Romania, followed by an unique number etc.) so what is the purpose of re-registering it in the US? They wouldn't request this if I would enter USA with my Learjet (not that I own one, lol), so why do they request it for my drone? Please enlighten me, if one of you fellow forum members know better.

Well, here's my question: I am allowed to drive my car, motorcycle, airplane etc. in the US without a new registration, since it is already registered in my home country, by a certified authority. Why in heaven's name do I have to re-register my drone in the US again?
It's the law. If you want to come to the US, you must follow all US laws. We will all do the same when we visit Romania :)

I have seen in numerous posts and threads that even a tourist has to register his home-brought drone in the USA for example, if he plans to fly his drone there.
Well, here's my question: I am allowed to drive my car, motorcycle, airplane etc. in the US without a new registration, since it is already registered in my home country, by a certified authority. Why in heaven's name do I have to re-register my drone in the US again?? It's not about the fee (5 USD) I'm complaining, it's about the principle. I mean, it is already registered as an aircraft is my country of origin; the authority which issued the registration is internationally certified; the drone has the same registration logic as a "true aircraft" (YR = international aircraft code for Romania, followed by an unique number etc.) so what is the purpose of re-registering it in the US? They wouldn't request this if I would enter USA with my Learjet (not that I own one, lol), so why do they request it for my drone? Please enlighten me, if one of you fellow forum members know better.
I think you need to direct your question to the FAA.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Hmm, on the FAA website, this is what I found; I wonder if this applies to my case:

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

1. If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

Well, here's the official answer I've got from FAA:

"Good morning,

You will need to register yourself as a hobbyist flyer with the FAA. Once you register, you will need to put your registration number on all of the drones that you fly in the United States or any US territory. Keep a printed copy of your certificate with you when you go out to fly.

You can register at the site below:

sUAS Registration"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu