DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Thailand

That is because there are no arrests. At least they are very rare. There was a case in the Bangkok Post a few years ago, prior to Covid which got a lot of coverage. But given the law and how many people still fly in public, unaware or aware of the law, very few arrests. I fly every day and have done for years both with all the docs and without. Just fly away from people and you are fine. I often see people flying on the beach, they are either stupid or have a great deal of money. Be aware that the "boys in brown" are paid very little, be respectful and offer to contribute to the retired police organisation, if there is one. I always carry a few thousand extra TBH but have never needed to use it. Thai people are very respectful especially if you are older. The only advantage of growing older. I never get pulled over on pay day collection on the roads these days. Stupid young farang on motorbikes do, because they are disrespectful with no helmet, no shirt and no brains. Thailand is a wonderful place to fly and record outstanding scenery. Feel free to do so but use your brains.

Edit
Not only are the Thai people very respectful but they are probably the most kind, gracious, respectful, and fun-loving people on this planet. And I have met people from hundreds of nations, partly living in Saudi for a decade. So much so that I have been here for almost six months, and I am considering biannual or permeant residency.

And of course, the scenery is amazing, and I have only discovered a tiny part of the country. Yes, spectacular drone footage almost every day. To top it all it is very cheap to live here. Better if you have a quiet drone, my MM2 is brill at this. But zooming through the Thai jungle with an Avata is the best drone experience you, or at least I, will ever have. But there is a chance you will lose it. Then again you only have one go at life.

Last edited:
Even with certification you still need more "permissions" to fly in Bangkok, it is a red zone. If you are part of a big multimillion media company, then, fine, easy. As an averaged income individual, you will need to do a lot of leg work. A lot, and then you will probably be rejected.

Be smart, stay away from people including densely populated areas and you will be perfectly fine.
I actually just read that you can fly in Bangkok if you stay a certain distance from buildings and cars. I could find the story if you need it. I also found this a map of no fly areas in thailand. Not really accurate.

133aa2_658305bee75e4f9da1a9bbcff93928fd_mv2.png

I just found out, that this thai guy, who was prosecuted for flying without a permit, and other offenses, didn't get caught flying. He posted pictures on Facebook, and the CAAP saw them, and tracked him down.

I guess no one is reading this thread anymore. I found this.

Additionally, Thai law requires that you have an emergency plan. This includes the requirement to carry a fire extinguisher.

Registering with NBC alone is not enough to fly a drone.
To enable you to fly your drone, you must register with an equivalent to a drone pilot’s license.

Found these here:

They basically don't want foreigners to fly drones.

That's all there is to it.

They got millions of foreign tourists coming in so they can be strict. Why should they put up with it?

I don't know much about their govt. but this is the one that took over by a military coup a few years ago right?

So they're going to be authoritarian and all countries don't want you to fly over military installations so maybe they see the whole country as a military installation.

Maybe drone owners need to patronize other SE Asian countries, though I haven't really researched any other.

But I'd imagine Vietnam and Indonesia would also have authoritarian hoops for you to jump through.

Reactions: shb

I have met so many flyers who think they have all the certifications they need but do not know of the tiny part of Thailand they can actually fly in. See my previous postings. To be "legal" in every way is very difficult unless of course you have a lot of money, like everywhere ells. Also, the lack of understanding of the precise application of the law is way beyond the great majority of “certified” flyers never mind the police or the general population. I know flyers who have the police engage them in the usual questions you all get, not having a clue that it is illegal to fly in that place or that they should have documentation.

Again, know the law and practice of wherever you are and use your noggin. And I would not waste my time and money on frivolous bits of scrap paper. I have old, complete, documentation which I have never had to use. If I was ever asked, and have never been, I would say I could not update it because of covid. But not enough to go through the process. They only benefit, and it could be very important to you, is that you feel safe and less nervous.
Sorry for the formatting if there is a problem.

Reactions: shb

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vamocognito