DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPad as 2nd monitor with RC2

marcopollo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Is it possible to fly an Air 3 with an RC 2 controller and have an iPad as a second monitor out in the field?
I’ve got an older iPad with a lightning connector as well as new iPad with a USB-C connector.
Thanks in advance.

Same question. I have the mini 4 pro and would like to use an android tablet as a 2nd. monitor while flying, so people around me can see what the drone is seeing. Anyone doing this safely and successfully?

This worked like a charm. Assume you could do it with an Android app.

I saw this also, Have you been actually flying with this setup for awhile? I'm wondering if in any way it could disrupt the controller or the aircraft while in flight, being connected to the controller. Sorry, just me being very cautious

I saw this also, Have you been actually flying with this setup for awhile? I'm wondering if in any way it could disrupt the controller or the aircraft while in flight, being connected to the controller. Sorry, just me being very cautious
sorry I forgot to ask, are you also using an app to display the video on your Ipad?

So other than the "Mounting Hardware" it still requires an App (some type of "Monitor") and a USB Camera app as well?

So other than the "Mounting Hardware" it still requires an App (some type of "Monitor") and a USB Camera app as well?
Thanks so much BigAI07, is it reliable? meaning could the setup interfere with transmission between the controller and the aircraft? I want to use an android tablet, could you recommend the apps I would need? As far as the cables, I am looking at the " Ugreen" products recommended by the guy in that youtube video. I'm not really looking to mount the tablet to the controller, just for someone standing next to me while flying.

Thanks so much BigAI07, is it reliable? meaning could the setup interfere with transmission between the controller and the aircraft? I want to use an android tablet, could you recommend the apps I would need? As far as the cables, I am looking at the " Ugreen" products recommended by the guy in that youtube video. I'm not really looking to mount the tablet to the controller, just for someone standing next to me while flying.

I think you've misread my post. I'm literally ASKING the @marcopollo about his experience doing this for myself. I've have NOT tried this (yet) and I'm clueless about the answers to your questions. :)

Unsure if this applies to the iPad variant shown above, but I did this with a Feelworld LUT11 and my RC 2 and ended up STOPPING using it because if the USB C gets unplugged from the RC, it reboots it. I've swapped to an iPad mini and RC N2 and honestly don't miss the zoom wheel on the top right. Something to test out prior to launching if you go this route. Good luck!

Unsure if this applies to the iPad variant shown above, but I did this with a Feelworld LUT11 and my RC 2 and ended up STOPPING using it because if the USB C gets unplugged from the RC, it reboots it. I've swapped to an iPad mini and RC N2 and honestly don't miss the zoom wheel on the top right. Something to test out prior to launching if you go this route. Good luck!
Good to know. It seemed a little risky to me

Anybody else trying an android tablet as a 2nd. monitor with the DJI-RC2 controller rebooting after unplugging from the controller? I'm going to purchase the cables and try this on my setup before flying

I'm still baffled with how complex this really is. But . . . is this a different solution than the one noted above:

A VERY big concern for me is, like in a previous post, if the cable would be unplugged from the controller or the ANDROID tablet while flying, does the controller re-boot causing a lost connection. Anybody try this with Android yet?

For those worried/concerned about the Controller rebooting (and you're justified in that concern), do you know what the "Action" is for the aircraft once the controller is no longer connected? That's a fundamental procedure we should ALL be intimately familiar with and know exactly what our settings are for that type of incident. It's going to be either RTH, Hover, or Descend. It's CRITICAL to know what your settings are long before "something" happens.

yes your right bigAI07, I forgot to mention that in my post. That is part of my pre-flight check list. I go through every page of the fly app before take-off. I've seen videos on people turning off their controller while in flight to test that. Never had the guts to try it myself.

yes your right bigAI07, I forgot to mention that in my post. That is part of my pre-flight check list. I go through every page of the fly app before take-off. I've seen videos on people turning off their controller while in flight to test that. Never had the guts to try it myself.

No worry. It's safe to test "loss of signal" in a controlled environment. You need to test it to confirm how it works and get more familiar with that "System" as a whole. This way you know what the process is, how it works, and that it DOES work. You don't want the Real Life LOS to be the first time you've seen it work. Get familiar and test out those processes.

This could go a long way to relieving or at least minimizing your worry/anxiety over "What If".

Last edited:
I'm still baffled with how complex this really is. But . . . is this a different solution than the one noted above:

Pretty much looks like the same solution, just with a different free app for the tablet.
I still have yet had a chance to test in the field as we've had some pretty wet and stormy weather lately. I am glad I have seen the previous posts about LOC and will definitely test this at a low altitude close to my launch site. Thanks for the tips, gang.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1