DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video, technique or monitor issues? Mini 2

Flameberg

Reactions
Hey everyone!

1. Guilty party. My video is here, it's just a test video that shows jittery on my screen.

2. Setup: just copypasting this from the video info (embedded subtitles): F/2.8, SS - varies, 70 to 30, ISO - fixed at 100, EV +0,3, 24fps

3. Problem: especially when going fullscreen in any player on my main computer (LG 27", 100hz, tried lowering the hz to 60, 2k resolution), I can see the jittery line when panning up/down (or even sideways at times). It annoys me beyond belief, since it basically prohibits me from doing anything with the drone or my videos before I get it fixed.

Maybe someone encountered this issue before? Could you see any jittery bits (especially the horizon line or the tower bricks) when the camera starts panning downwards?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Time for New computer? Buttery smooth on my iPad

Reactions: Flameberg
Thanks! Can't wrap my head around it: it IS a newer PC, great graphic card, but I guess that's the monitor issue I have to figure out then :(

Need memory? This isn’t an issue for the Internet in terms of YouTube is it? Can you confirm you were having this problem when your plaYang the video natively on your computer? Otherwise perhaps it is your 300 baud telephone modem. Ha ha

Thanks for the feedback... No, nothing with YouTube - just thought it's a way to both upload the vid for the Forum, and test if it's just local codec settings or not. YouTube is the same for me (issues-wise) as playing the files locally.

I've uploaded the two original vids and two vids of my screen (filmed with my phone) to show what I'm experiencing - to this folder here: horizontal issues - source video no edits.MP4

I've got 16 gigs of ram, good CPU, GeForce GTX 1080, new 27" LG screen (running in 2k resolution, tested this at 60, 75, 140hz with different interlacing settings etc.). Can't figure out the problem for the life of me. Maybe I need to try filming in something other than 24 fps. Then again, I don't want to be forced to film at higher FPS just because I'm stupid with figuring out my monitor settings :D

Quick update: just installed something called SVP (Smooth Video Project) - it basically increases the FPS count for 24fps videos to whatever you want - 60 fps for example. Did exactly that, and the problem is gone for my screen. I have no idea what to do with this info other than trying to shoot my drone videos in 60 fps. But having to quit using 24fps is annoying since I liked the smoothness of it, compared to 60fps :(

Last edited:
I saw some jittery action on my ASUS ProArt monitor 4k 60hz. I have to wonder if it is a compatibility/coordination issue with 24fps and the shutter speed that was set, possibly combines with the structure and direction of travel? It took me a second read of your opening to understand that your shutter speed may have been 1/70(?) to 1/30 second (?). Is it possible that 24fps with either of those shutter speeds would create a possible mismatch in terms of the fps and shutter speeds?

Initially, there was no jitter, but as you started to pull away the tower started to jitter. As the drone just went straight up showing the ground there was no jitter at all. Then later there was the usual motion blur and a touch of jitter.

I never experienced anything like that with my Mini 2.

Good question re shutter speed, I think! Will go out this weekend and shoot with different settings to see if that has any influence on the result!
@vindibona1 what FPS do you shoot in when using your Mini 2?

Good question re shutter speed, I think! Will go out this weekend and shoot with different settings to see if that has any influence on the result!
@vindibona1 what FPS do you shoot in when using your Mini 2?
I pretty much stick to 30fps. There are pros and cons between that and 24fps and I decided some time ago to use 30fps though I can no longer remember the reasoning.

Just checked the video linked in post #1 and it looks really jittery on my computer (tried 60hz and 75hz refresh rates). My first guess would have been it was caused by a high shutter speed, but you say the SS varied between 30 and 70 (1/30s - 1/70s?). Am wondering if it has something to do with framerate? I see the stuttering at 1440p right down to 140p, full screen or postage-stamp sized so it's not likely to be as a result of a slow graphics card, memory, internet, monitor etc.

I tried it on my phone and it's a bit smoother, but still seems to have a a distracting amount of jitter

Have you tried the same scene at different FPS? 25/30/60?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1