DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water Landing a Disaster

And no alternative suggestions? Big help thanks
You can use an electric gun safe dehumidifier.Put it in in a box with the drone. Just make sure it's being dried with indirect heat. One I have used for years is called a golden rod. I also have some high dollar astronomy equipment and I use a golden rod to help keep everything dry. And it's UL approved.

I'm considering those floatie ones too... I really don't want to take off or land on water unless I need to.. but i just lost a drone in the LA River when I flew under a steel bridge. It would have been nice to have those as a backup.. just for extra protection like a ( Mod Removed ). I watched it float for over 10 minutes until it got high-centered on some rocks... I had to go 1/4 mile down river until I could get to a ladder access to the flood control channel (ha, LA River). I think if I had these on, maybe I would have been able to restart the AC after it disconnected from the RC. Within 3 seconds the thing flew away and decided to land in the river....

I'm probably going to buy some floaties at the pool store and cut them longer. I think that is the problem. maybe if they were another 6 inches longer you wouldn't get the nose dive when landing...

and Silica Gel is by FAR the best thing to dry any thing out with... check out a company / site called McMaster-Carr.com... they have ANYTHING you would ever need and they will ship it to any location in the USA...

See YA
Skydog iv (zoom crash master!)

p.s. i wouldn't really use a golden rod to do the initial drying out... I personally don't think they get hot enough. For keeping moisture out of a safe, or similar thing, they work great. I have two safes each with a golden rod and none of my items show any signs of corrosion (and they are stored in the garage too)..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you going to try to make an emercency floatation "system", you must make sure that you take into account the CG will move on the setup with the waves on the water (if present).

If your setup cannot handle at least maybe 25/30 degrees of angle, while being able to settle back down on the "4 points", your bird may go for a swim...

I wouldn’t trust any floating landing gear, I would trust a floating landing pad more than the gear tbh (market opportunity, tape a landing pad to a river donut instant cash)

I also would not use floating landing gear to actually take off or land on water. The main reason is at the least you will get some water spray from the prop wash on the camera and gimbal. However they would be invaluable for retrieval should something go wrong over water.

I've never considered recovery after ditching to be a high percentage endeavor with the type of flying I do, especially over rivers and the ocean. A smaller body of still water or access to a boat might make recovery more feasible, but that's a small percentage of the flights I do.

Dragonfly's pontoons look professional and very well designed/executed, but I imagine there must be some kind of aerodynamic trade-off. Also, it's not worth the additional logistics required; my ruck is already maxed.

My signature, though somewhat tongue-in-cheek, is mostly accurate. With the distances and terrain I fly, I consider the chance of recovery to be almost nil. I'll continue to change out my SD cards for each flight and hope for the best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast