DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace and LAANC

Neal W

Reactions
I probably should know the answer, since I took my Part 107 exam earlier this year.😎

I live and fly in Class D airspace surrounding KLUK. Normally, I get LAANC approval within a minute or so. Last night around 10pm I wanted to fly to see if I could catch any of the Aurora. At night, apparently the KLUK tower is closed and the space is Class E. When I requested LAANC approval, I got no response.

My question: Do I need approval to in Class E airspace?

I probably should know the answer, since I took my Part 107 exam earlier this year.😎

I live and fly in Class D airspace surrounding KLUK. Normally, I get LAANC approval within a minute or so. Last night around 10pm I wanted to fly to see if I could catch any of the Aurora. At night, apparently the KLUK tower is closed and the space is Class E. When I requested LAANC approval, I got no response.

My question: Do I need approval to in Class E airspace?
Odds are it reverts to E2. That means surface. So yes, you still need LAANC approval. You wouldn't if it reverted to Class G.

Reactions: lmh and boatdoc
I don't have part 107 so I don't know if this is accurate for you but for me, as a recreational pilot, there is no way to get automatic LAANC approval that late at night.

Recreational flyers can get approval to fly in Controlled Airspace at night. That link if to a page from 2021. It has changed.

Reactions: twickers14
Recreational flyers can get approval to fly in Controlled Airspace at night. That link if to a page from 2021. It has changed.
I realize it is possible for recreational flyers to get approval to fly at night in controlled airspace, I just didn't think it was possible to get automatic approval. Really would be nice if I could all of a sudden decide I wanted to step out at midnight and fly up to 200 feet.....

I suppose you could alwayS apply for a waiver, then you wouldn’t need to apply all the time. A thought…

Reactions: mavic3usa
I realize it is possible for recreational flyers to get approval to fly at night in controlled airspace, I just didn't think it was possible to get automatic approval. Really would be nice if I could all of a sudden decide I wanted to step out at midnight and fly up to 200 feet.....
As long as you're in a 200' gird, you can. If you're not in a 200' grid, you can't fly higher than that no mater the time of day.

I suppose you could alwayS apply for a waiver, then you wouldn’t need to apply all the time. A thought…
I'm not sure who you're answering, but it's not a waiver for 107. If you're dealing with airspace, you ask for an Airspace Authorization. And that's only for 107 folks. Recreational flyers can't get waivers.

I'm not sure who you're answering, but it's not a waiver for 107. If you're dealing with airspace, you ask for an Airspace Authorization. And that's only for 107 folks. Recreational flyers can't get waivers.
Thanks for the correction, Vic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan