DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery in cold weather flying

boblapree

Reactions
A little while back I suggested using chemical handwarmers to keep battery temps up in cold weather on my MP 1. I tried it out yesterday in 25 F weather and found that the battery stayed nice and warm with the usual 25 min. flight time (landed when it reached 30%) So this seems to be a viable solution and very inexpensive, $ .25 each.

Reactions: eEridani
Hand warmers can get pretty warm - hot to the touch, so you might want to put them in a sock or something like that so that they are not directly in contact with the battery. I have used hand warmers in my case in sub-zero temperatures to keep the area where the batteries are stored, warm but never in direct contact with the battery. If you are just out for a short trip a pant pocket or a hoodie pocket works just as well and you can save the hand warmer for your gloves or mitts.

Chris

I've seen somewhere that someone put a brick in the oven for a little bit at low temp then wrapped it win a cloth and put it in a cooler and kept all of his batteries in there separated from the brick with a plastic or cardboard partition. I thought that was ingenious if you travel out to a remote location on something like a snowmobile or ATV.

Reactions: Bsnyder
I have flown the Mavic Pro in -20F. I keep the battery in the car or a warm container until time to fly, then hover about 2' for a minute or two until the unit warms up. Then fly but not aggressively. Still fly for 20 minutes give or take. Never had any issues.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark