DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best camera settings for mavic pro?

The bigger the screen the more impact / important 4K has. Your Premier Pro will meet your needs fer sure (I find it difficult to master, however.) Your computer specs will work but kinda slow when you process in 4K. Film a small clip in 1080 then 4K and you will be amazed of the difference in time rendering. I used to start filming as soon as the bird flew...now I only start recording very selectively..saves download time.

The bigger the screen the more impact / important 4K has. Your Premier Pro will meet your needs fer sure (I find it difficult to master, however.) Your computer specs will work but kinda slow when you process in 4K. Film a small clip in 1080 then 4K and you will be amazed of the difference in time rendering. I used to start filming as soon as the bird flew...now I only start recording very selectively..saves download time.
Rendering only applies to when you are complete with your project, right? Or do you have to do that with every clip you import?

To have a smooth playback you will usually have to render if you have multiple layers of grading and luts. If the pc is powerful enough it may not need rendering

I do have ND filters! On second thought though, I'm not sure I actually want cinematic shots. I was kind of inspired by this video
and will be doing a combination of shots from the mavic as well as a yi 4k+ action camera so perhaps I misunderstood the definition of "cinematic" shots? I guess these are more documentary/landscape shots?
How do you find the yi 4k+? Have you got the gimbal?

Had my eye on it, might get one once Xmas is out the way.

Rendering only applies to when you are complete with your project, right? Or do you have to do that with every clip you import?
When you add effects, colours, transitions etc the computer has to render in real time to provide you with a preview. You can reduce the quality of this preview or use proxy files.

Effects like lumetri (LUTS) should use GPU instead of cpu.

I think your system should be fine, maybe light on RAM but give it a try and you can upgrade when prices (hopefully) drop.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
To have a smooth playback you will usually have to render if you have multiple layers of grading and luts. If the pc is powerful enough it may not need rendering
Not familiar with adobe. Can I import all my clips and render them and have them off to the side and easily drag them over while editing?

Not familiar with adobe. Can I import all my clips and render them and have them off to the side and easily drag them over while editing?
You don't need to render anything in the way your thinking.
As you said drag all the files your wanting to use in and you can add them into your timeline anytime you want.

When you have built your timeline your computer needs to give you a preview of how it will look after transitions, colour adjustments and effects, this is rendering and is done on the fly, you dont need to do anything.
If the preview is stuttering, drop quality down to 1/2 or 1/4.

You then export out.

There's some good tutorials for beginners on youtube.

I felt a bit lost at first but picked it up very quickly when pointed in the right directions.

You don't need to render anything in the way your thinking.
As you said drag all the files your wanting to use in and you can add them into your timeline anytime you want.

When you have built your timeline your computer needs to give you a preview of how it will look after transitions, colour adjustments and effects, this is rendering and is done on the fly, you dont need to do anything.
If the preview is stuttering, drop quality down to 1/2 or 1/4.

You then export out.

There's some good tutorials for beginners on youtube.

I felt a bit lost at first but picked it up very quickly when pointed in the right directions.
Okay that's what I thought rendering was, but people were making it sound like a massive deal. I am only doing this one video so I don't mind a long render time. I could see how it would be a major issue if you made videos daily though.

Okay that's what I thought rendering was, but people were making it sound like a massive deal. I am only doing this one video so I don't mind a long render time. I could see how it would be a major issue if you made videos daily though.
It wouldn't really be a longer render time, it might just stutter or not play smoothly in preview. That's where you can drop down preview quality and if that doesn't work try proxy files.

I'm sure your computer will be fine at 1/2 or 1/4 without proxy files.

I edited 4k on my last laptop which was a slightly slower CPU than yours and integrated graphics.

Did the job, just took a while to export and had to run at 1/4 preview.

It's the encoding during export that relies mostly on CPU that will take a while but you can leave it running and do something else.

You will be fine mate.

What colour profile are you going to shoot in?

I use D-cinelike +1, -2, -2 and apply LUT in première pro.

LUT's I use is the Icarus mavic package.

Correct, rendering is just the final copy of the movie...the completed project.
I would have said it's more to do with generating a preview of what final video will look like.
The preview window is being rendered in real time if you have a decent GPU.
If not the timeline clip will show red showing it needs to be rendered to preview if some effects are used.

Export and encoding is the final step.

That's premiere anyway, other software use different terminology.

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Rendering and previewing sequences

Last edited:
I will add one more bit of advice as the risk of being attacked by some of our Mavic friends. . Adobe Prem, Pro, Sony and several other programs are incredible in their ability and features, however, for most everyday users they present a steep learning curve. I use Cyberlink Power Director 16 and it produces an awesome movie with a modest learning curve. I see its on Amazon for $50. To each his own but I like user intuitive friendly programs.

Reactions: Callum
I will add one more bit of advice as the risk of being attacked by some of our Mavic friends. . Adobe Prem, Pro, Sony and several other programs are incredible in their ability and features, however, for most everyday users they present a steep learning curve. I use Cyberlink Power Director 16 and it produces an awesome movie with a modest learning curve. I see its on Amazon for $50. To each his own but I like user intuitive friendly programs.
That's actually pretty good advice.

I used power director before premiere. It did everything I needed (basic editing and grading). Also supports LUT's.

I could probably do most things I do now with power director but stuck with Adobe as I'd invested money in it.

For an occasional user just starting out I'd probably also recommend power director.

Best settings are so very relative. I watched a buttload of "best settings" videos and came up with this:

Reactions: JoBuck
It wouldn't really be a longer render time, it might just stutter or not play smoothly in preview. That's where you can drop down preview quality and if that doesn't work try proxy files.

I'm sure your computer will be fine at 1/2 or 1/4 without proxy files.

I edited 4k on my last laptop which was a slightly slower CPU than yours and integrated graphics.

Did the job, just took a while to export and had to run at 1/4 preview.

It's the encoding during export that relies mostly on CPU that will take a while but you can leave it running and do something else.

You will be fine mate.

What colour profile are you going to shoot in?

I use D-cinelike +1, -2, -2 and apply LUT in première pro.

LUT's I use is the Icarus mavic package.

I think I will use +1 sharpness and d-cinelike and apply some sort of lut after

I think I will use +1 sharpness and d-cinelike and apply some sort of lut after
Some LUTs specify the settings to use so sometimes best to get them first then you know what contrast and saturation to use for best results.

I've got a few I can send you, I'll pm you.

Best settings are so very relative. I watched a buttload of "best settings" videos and came up with this:
Awesome video man. Very helpful and you make a lot of good points. I guess the thing I am most worried about is not getting the footage I want and the look I want, you can always do post processing and continually get better, but you can't necessarily retake the shot. That's what makes me so nervous for this upcoming trip. I am trying to learn a lot tonight and tomorrow.

Reactions: 51 Drones
I am currently watching the latest video made by ed ricker
and just curious as to whether or not people agree with these settings?

I will be in cancun and looking to film some cinematic shots. Also trying to figure out if 4k 30 fps or 4k 24 fps is better. Please help me make the most of this trip!
Be careful in Cancun. A few people have died there recently with alcohol poisoning. I was thrown in prison in Cancun when I sailed into Cancun on my sailboat. I declared my guns but they were the wrong caliber and I was charged with 2 felonies and thrown into the horrible Cancun prison. You are guilty immediately on being charged with a crime but you have 6 days to prove your innocence. Mexico is horrible and one wrong step like flying your drone into a person could land you in prison for many years. It takes about 2 years to get a trial. In the meantime you just exist. I got out in 7 days as I got lucky and got a non greedy English speaking attorney. Just dumb luck. So be careful in Mexico because they have an attitude towards us and blame for the guns the criminals get and the drugs our countryman buy. Good luck. I would not take my drone there.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Be careful in Cancun. A few people have died there recently with alcohol poisoning. I was thrown in prison in Cancun when I sailed into Cancun on my sailboat. I declared my guns but they were the wrong caliber and I was charged with 2 felonies and thrown into the horrible Cancun prison. You are guilty immediately on being charged with a crime but you have 6 days to prove your innocence. Mexico is horrible and one wrong step like flying your drone into a person could land you in prison for many years. It takes about 2 years to get a trial. In the meantime you just exist. I got out in 7 days as I got lucky and got a non greedy English speaking attorney. Just dumb luck. So be careful in Mexico because they have an attitude towards us and blame for the guns the criminals get and the drugs our countryman buy. Good luck. I would not take my drone there.
And one more thing. I have been going to Mexico for 30 years , North and South and East and West. Climbed every pyramid. Never never will I go to Mexico again Never . Its just too dangerous. Their is a kidnapping every hour in latin america. Only 70% return alive.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark