DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Curbs Needed on Police Drone Surveillance of Public Gatherings" document by ACLU (March 14, 2024)

Here is why that is a problem. Every state has its own Constitution which in some cases provides more privacy protection than the US Constitution/Fourth Amendment and every state has the right to enact its own laws limiting when and how drones may be used by law enforcement to conduct surveillance.
Every state can have their own constitution as long as it doesn't conflict the The Constitution. I am asking for a base set by federal law and then states can go from there. If they want to be more strict against their governments (not the people), fine. It's the same issue we face on several other high-profile situations in this country. Because eventually it will get the Supreme Court who will likely decide it for everyone.

This is just an example but let's say a federal law is passed that says no agency can operate drones with offensive arms deployed. Would a state be able to pass a state laws that says it is ok for state police to arm their drones with the latest offensive airborne weapons because we have bad criminals here and we need really need em?

For me, this is all wishful thinking because I can see this getting out of control just like a lot of other issues that aren't "handled." The role of the federal government is very limited but drones ARE within their purview, not sure why they won't handle it and instead stay out the other business they have no place in.

Here is why that is a problem. Every state has its own Constitution which in some cases provides more privacy protection than the US Constitution/Fourth Amendment and every state has the right to enact its own laws limiting when and how drones may be used by law enforcement to conduct surveillance.
And there you have it. This is why drones need the FAA to step up with federal protection. You think this is ok? The reason why I object to states have such "rights" is because they won't be able to implement them legally. Here's the proof:

As you can see, the law is aimed at commercial flight or drone pilots who apparently hold a part 107 license. The law is blatantly unconstitutional because the city has no jurisdiction and it violates the rights of commercial drone pilots; however, it is obvious they made exceptions so they can selectively enforce the law as needed. They don't stop the media which would be a first amendment violation and they allow first responders to fly because they're the government. It also appears the law does not apply to recreational pilots because that is probably the big majority of drone pilots and a law that bans 90% of potential flights could be seen as sweeping and too broad and overreach. So they cleverly narrow it down. But the city is smart, anybody flying a drone with a camera on it, if the city wanted to claim you were flying for commercial use even if you didn't have a part 107, they can stick you with it anyway, arrest you and confiscate your drone, and report you to the FAA for flying commercial without a part 107. City residents need to look over their shoulder and behave or else you can face the wrath. This law chills the use of recreational drones.

If the FAA would show up at at city hall and tell the city council they will sue if they don't retract the ordinance, then other cities will soon follow this city. Except you will see some of the new bills that include recreational pilots, some of the bills will let anyone fly as long as they get a city permit, and some of the bills will be 500 feet, not 25 feet...or 350 feet and above, etc. The list of special situations will be longer and grow over time until everything is off limits.

And now, according to this law the commercial drone pilots have a CBO they have to follow. Oh joy, wait until you have to deal with these fickle rules. Illegally using a drone to break existing laws is already a deterrent, a specific drone law like this one wasn't needed. But all the keywords are in this new law from reasonable time place and manner to preemption of federal law to public safety to sensitive infrastructure. It even goes into detail on how to properly seize a drones. This is a bad, bad law but alas, seems like nobody cares.

Just want to point out one more thing. The new law says recreational pilots flying just for fun are exempt from this entire law. So when a drone comes near a police car at a traffic stop with lights on, the recreational and news drones are ok and the commercial drones flying for payments are not ok. What do you think will happen in the city when a drone comes near a traffic stop? How long before they repeal this portion of the law, the section that excludes recreational pilots? I do not like the fact this law keeps referring to commercial pilots as those who work and receive compensation.

And there you have it. This is why drones need the FAA to step up with federal protection. You think this is ok? The reason why I object to states have such "rights" is because they won't be able to implement them legally. Here's the proof:
I think its correct legally and morally for each state to decide how its state and local law enforcement may use drones to conduct searches with and without warrants. The federal court cases interpreting the Fourth Amendment may be instructive but not determinative of adjudicating rights under state constitutions which may give greater protection. I understand why the concern over the local St. Louis ordinance. That could possibly be preempted. But I can understand the city's negative reaction to whoever is trying to privatize mass public surveillance by drone for fun and profit.