DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Investigating cause of a traffic jam with mini 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally illegal here in the US, otherwise I'd carry my drone with me in my truck and put it up every time I get stuck on the i95 !! (East coasters will know exactly what I'm talking about!)

Reactions: Honk
Totally illegal here in the US, otherwise I'd carry my drone with me in my truck and put it up every time I get stuck on the i95 !! (East coasters will know exactly what I'm talking about!)
No it isn't. I keep my old Mini 2 in the car just for this reason when I need it. Pardon me, you're probably talking about flying in DC traffic. The rest of the country you're free to do this, no problem.

Reactions: alex_markov
No it isn't. I keep my old Mini 2 in the car just for this reason when I need it. Pardon me, you're probably talking about flying in DC traffic. The rest of the country you're free to do this, no problem.
This is incorrect and is defined in 107.145 which states that the UAS must not maintain sustained flight over moving vehicles. You can transit a roadway (with or without traffic) but sustained flight over a vehicle requires that the occupants of the vehicles have been notified of the overhead flight.

Reactions: djwak59
This is incorrect and is defined in 107.145 which states that the UAS must not maintain sustained flight over moving vehicles. You can transit a roadway (with or without traffic) but sustained flight over a vehicle requires that the occupants of the vehicles have been notified of the overhead flight.
Recreational flyers don't tend to follow 107.145. ;)

It's not legal as stated above but yeah, if you want to do what ever you want, go for it.

And only with a cat1,2 or 3 drone I believe.

Sooo, you can “follow” moving traffic, but you “can’t” hover over traffic ? Just askin.

Sooo, you can “follow” moving traffic, but you “can’t” hover over traffic ? Just askin.

Move off to one side of the roadway and you can follow along at will in parallel with the traffic. Not over a sidewalk full of people however.

Reactions: KBF
It does look like he took off from private property, or at least property that may have had no restrictions to operate from.

Nothing illegal so far.

Now, had he refrained from flying immediately above the highway and stuck to staying to the sides, off the highway right of way, wouldn’t that be legal in the U.S.A., assuming there are no F.A.A. restrictions on that airspace?

The only objection I see to this, what appears to be maybe a three mile backup, is calling this a traffic jam! As my fellow Virginian, K.B.F., can confirm, on I-95 this would be a “slow down “ at best!

Where I live along I-81 in western Virginia, we yield to the traffic-snarl maestros of I-95 and I-495. I doubt many own a drone with the required range and battery life to document those graveyards on one flight!

Reactions: KBF
With a Cat1 or Cat2 you could certainly do as the OP did (keeping within VLOS), Cat3 can't, non categorized can't .... if you want to be legal !

You can't be over the road with traffic cause that falls under rule not flying over a moving vehicle. However, if Cat 1, you can transit over traffic, e.g. you can cross a line of cars.

Folks, the OP does NOT live in the USA and therefore not subject to the FAA rules. Criticizing the OP accordingly is uncalled for. Please refrain from doing so.

Reactions: RodPad
Apparently people just don’t want to obtain from their criticism based upon the USA FAA regulations therefore I have locked the thread

Reactions: RodPad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman