DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

last leaked pictures before the Release date: by youtuber

‘Attractiveness” of the drone never even entered my mind until I read it here in this forum. I see that appearance means something to some but performance is what I’m looking at. Maybe it’s an age thing, I don’t know 😂😂

Reactions: dirkclod
The only aspect I like is that the battery is removable from the rear like the Phantom and Mini series

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Waiting for ebay scalpers to post these on ebay of course 🤣

I am curious what are you seeing that suggests a 28X zoom? As far as we can tell so far it has no zoom camera(s) at all, it has one 24mm (equivalent) fixed focal length main camera (4/3 sensor) and one ~160mm (equivalent) fixed focal length telephoto camera (1/2" sensor).
100% got a zoom camera the user manual confirms it

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
100% got a zoom camera the user manual confirms it

Can you point me to that?

There is nothing about a zoom camera in what I have seen, only a fixed focal length 162mm (equivalent) camera with a fixed aperture and fixed FOV. The main camera is also a fixed focal length of 24mm (equivalent), but as expected comes with a variable aperture.

A "zoom" camera is one that can change it's focal length, the M3 does not appear to have that ability.

This is the most recent spec leak I have seen:

IMG_0155-1-707x1000.jpeg

IMG_0148-707x1000.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you point me to that?

There is nothing about a zoom camera in what I have seen, only a fixed focal length 162mm (equivalent) camera with a fixed aperture and fixed FOV. The main camera is also a fixed focal length of 24mm (equivalent), but as expected comes with a variable aperture.

A "zoom" camera is one that can change it's focal length, the M3 does not appear to have that ability.

This is the most recent spec leak I have seen:

IMG_0155-1-707x1000.jpeg

IMG_0148-707x1000.jpeg
Its common knowledge mate check 3 minutes on this vid

Its common knowledge mate check 3 minutes on this vid

The 3min mark in that video once again shows a fixed focal length 162mm lens (no ability to zoom) with a fixed aperture. I think you may be confusing the term "zoom" with the fact that it simply has a second telephoto camera in addition to the main camera.

Another way to ask the question would be how can a camera be a zoom with a fixed focal length and a fixed FOV? It's impossible.

I am curious what are you seeing that suggests a 28X zoom? As far as we can tell so far it has no zoom camera(s) at all, it has one 24mm (equivalent) fixed focal length main camera (4/3 sensor) and one ~160mm (equivalent) fixed focal length telephoto camera (1/2" sensor)
The 3min mark in that video once again shows a fixed focal length 162mm lens (no ability to zoom) with a fixed aperture. I think you may be confusing the term "zoom" with the fact that it simply has a second telephoto camera in addition to the main camera.

Another way to ask the question would be how can a camera be a zoom with a fixed focal length and a fixed FOV? It's impossible.
Digital zoom is a thing. It’s confirmed in the leaked video.

Maybe instead of people saying "zoom" they should be saying "zoomed" camera for more of a layman's term of how it works?

Digital zoom is a thing. It’s confirmed in the leaked video.

Digital zoom is just a form of cropping so it isn't really a 'feature' and can be done in post. You can digitally zoom any photo or video. When someone refers to a camera or lens with "zoom" capabilities it means the focal length is variable to some degree. That is not the case here.

Maybe instead of people saying "zoom" they should be saying "zoomed" camera for more of a layman's term of how it works?

I think a few things about zooms confuse people, some terms the manufacturers use can also be very confusing, and there is little consistency when people discuss zoom capabilities - I've probably been guilty of it at times as well.

These are the misconceptions I see most often and they are all false:

1) A telephoto lens or a lens with lots of "reach" is automatically a zoom lens
2) Digital zoom is the same as optical zoom
3) A high zoom ratio automatically means the lens has a long "reach"

There are generally only 2 types of lenses:

1) Fixed focal length lenses (aka "Primes") - This is what the Mavic 3 has as far as we know (two of them - a 24mm equivalent and a 163mm equivalent.)

2) Zoom lenses (optical) - These have a range of focal lengths and are expressed as a multiple of the base focal length, for example a common lens in photography is a 70-200mm/2.8 and that is a 2.85X zoom. Another common lens is an 18-200mm which is about an 11X zoom, and it has far less reach than say, a 200-400mm which is only a 2X zoom. So the zoom ratios themselves can be confusing if that's all you look at.

Zoom lenses also do not have to be telephoto, for example a common lens is 12-24mm which is a 2X zoom that goes from ultra-wide to wide.

Most zoom lenses also have variable apertures, because fixed aperture zooms are larger, heavier, and more expensive to produce.

Things get trickier when you have a sensor with enough resolution to produce, say, a 4K image with a cropped portion of the sensor and also the entire sensor. This is what the M2P does, just not in a very good way. When it uses the entire sensor for 4K (FOV mode), it throws out a bunch of data via subsampling to make 4K rather than oversampling (reading some portion of the sensor in a higher resolution than 4K and processing it down to 4K). In "HQ" mode, it uses a native 4K selection in the middle of the sensor, but that crop has now increased your effective focal length significantly (around 40mm). I am very curious to see what the M3 does here and I will be disappointed if it uses subsampling, binning, or line skipping to get ~20MP (~6K) down to ~8MP for 4K.

Last edited:
Digital zoom is just a form of cropping so it isn't really a 'feature' and can be done in post. You can digitally zoom any photo or video. When someone refers to a camera or lens with "zoom" capabilities it means the focal length is variable to some degree. That is not the case here.
He didn’t say the camera had 28x zoom. He said the drone. People and companies regularly refer to the optical and digital zoom capabilities of their products.

He didn’t say the camera had 28x zoom. He said the drone. People and companies regularly refer to the optical and digital zoom capabilities of their products.

And how does the drone achieve zoom without a camera? I'm not sure I am understanding you there.

Usually the optical and digital zoom ratios are separated so people know which is which - when companies don't do that, it's highly misleading.

This is how DJI describes the M2Z on the spec sheet - note there is nothing about digital zoom in there:

FOV: about 83° (24 mm); about 48° (48 mm)
35 mm Format Equivalent: 24-48 mm
Aperture: f/2.8 (24 mm)–f/3.8 (48 mm)
Shooting Range: 0.5 m to ∞

Regarding 28X zoom, that statement means nothing without context. I can crop a photo in 1000X and end up with a 0.5MP image, it doesn't make it a 1000X zoom feature. 28X zoom from what to what?

See my post above for clarity.

Recent leak shows European prices have been confirmed as shown below on Twitter.
5dEQ1d1.jpg

I just wonder what the US price will convert to. Same figures as posted or do a conversion of the Euro cost into US dollars?

Last edited:
Reactions: VenomXts
And how does the drone achieve zoom without a camera? I'm not sure I am understanding you there.

Usually the optical and digital zoom ratios are separated so people know which is which - when companies don't do that, it's highly misleading.

This is how DJI describes the M2Z on the spec sheet - note there is nothing about digital zoom in there:

FOV: about 83° (24 mm); about 48° (48 mm)
35 mm Format Equivalent: 24-48 mm
Aperture: f/2.8 (24 mm)–f/3.8 (48 mm)
Shooting Range: 0.5 m to ∞

Regarding 28X zoom, that statement means nothing without context. I can crop a photo in 1000X and end up with a 0.5MP image, it doesn't make it a 1000X zoom feature. 28X zoom from what to what?

See my post above for clarity.
What he wrote was easily understood by anyone not trying to be difficult.

I think a few things about zooms confuse people, some terms the manufacturers use can also be very confusing, and there is little consistency when people discuss zoom capabilities - I've probably been guilty of it at times as well.

These are the misconceptions I see most often and they are all false:

1) A telephoto lens or a lens with lots of "reach" is automatically a zoom lens
2) Digital zoom is the same as optical zoom
3) A high zoom ratio automatically means the lens has a long "reach"

There are generally only 2 types of lenses:

1) Fixed focal length lenses (aka "Primes") - This is what the Mavic 3 has as far as we know (two of them - a 24mm equivalent and a 163mm equivalent.)

2) Zoom lenses (optical) - These have a range of focal lengths and are expressed as a multiple of the base focal length, for example a common lens in photography is a 70-200mm/2.8 and that is a 2.85X zoom. Another common lens is an 18-200mm which is about an 11X zoom, and it has far less reach than say, a 200-400mm which is only a 2X zoom. So the zoom ratios themselves can be confusing if that's all you look at.

Zoom lenses also do not have to be telephoto, for example a common lens is 12-24mm which is a 2X zoom that goes from ultra-wide to wide.

Most zoom lenses also have variable apertures, because fixed aperture zooms are larger, heavier, and more expensive to produce.

Things get trickier when you have a sensor with enough resolution to produce, say, a 4K image with a cropped portion of the sensor and also the entire sensor. This is what the M2P does, just not in a very good way. When it uses the entire sensor for 4K (FOV mode), it throws out a bunch of data via subsampling to make 4K rather than oversampling (reading some portion of the sensor in a higher resolution than 4K and processing it down to 4K). In "HQ" mode, it uses a native 4K selection in the middle of the sensor, but that crop has now increased your effective focal length significantly (around 40mm). I am very curious to see what the M3 does here and I will be disappointed if it uses subsampling, binning, or line skipping to get ~20MP (~6K) down to ~8MP for 4K.
My head just exploded :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark