DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA1 vs. MA2 – A Practical Comparison

IMHO1FWIW

Reactions
So I've been eyeing my first, serious drone for a couple months, but held off on pulling the trigger because of all the rumors regarding MA2 upcoming release. Wondering what the practical difference will be between MA1 and MA2.

I understand the benefits of bigger battery. We're clear there.

ADS-B – I get what it does. What I don't understand is why I, as a consumer living in the US, would want to pay more for this feature, presumably? Not saying I'm against safety, but given that we seem to be in the "early days" of FAA drone regulations. Is this a feature worth buying?

Occusync 2 – I get this one as well. I guess my question would be, how bad is the MA1 wi-fi system in comparison? I live out in the suburbs, and don't envision flying the drone in dense urban areas with a lot of radio noise.

Thx.

Reactions: Pilotti100
Is this a feature worth buying?
Operating more than 2 years with M200 aircraft equipped with ADS-B IN, I say no, it's not worth the extra money (if it's only $20,- then OK, but you know, it's DJI...)

how bad is the MA1 wi-fi system in comparison?
Occusync 2 outperforms the WiFi-based Mavic AIR transmission capabilities by miles (literally)

What else might be the meaningful differences between MA1 and MA2?
Wait until the official introduction on April 27th, 2020 ...

Reactions: FEMit
With the new proposed FAA regulations, ADS-B may be a good idea if you plan to use it for 2 or more years. Right now though it's not needed.

With the new proposed FAA regulations, ADS-B may be a good idea if you plan to use it for 2 or more years. Right now though it's not needed.

I think the FAA would have a tough time grounding all the existing, over 250 gram, drones that lack ADS_B, or restricting them to "air parks".

Reactions: kwolfskill
Best Buy has dropped the price for the MA1 down to $599 for the basic kit and $699 for the Fly More package.
I would expect MA2 to be at least $300 more when it hits the shelves.

Reactions: R1Mavic
for me the new MA2 is in some ways a similar move ,as there was between the MP1 and the MPP
when the air first came out it was an attempt to have a different look to the mavic line up
but apart from the camera its biggest failings were lack of occusync and flight time
with this new version,it would seem that a lot of the shortcomings have been addressed
and it has gone back to the classic mavic shape, its the same with the MM, it could have had a radical new look ,but it is instantly recognised as a DJI drone from the mavic family
the mavics have proved themselves as some of the best consumer drones in the world so why mend whats not broken

"why mend what's not broken"

The infamous lament echoed by businesses and products about to be devastated by new market forces...blacksmiths, Detroit automakers (before the Japanese onslaught), Blockbuster, Barnes & Noble, Waldens, Kodak, IBM, Wang, Digital General, Digital Research, Novel, magazine publishers, shopping malls, manufacturers of CD players, CRTs, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
"why mend what's not broken"

The infamous lament echoed by businesses and products about to be devastated by new market forces...blacksmiths, Detroit automakers (before the Japanese onslaught), Blockbuster, Barnes & Noble, Waldens, Kodak, IBM, Wang, Digital General, Digital Research, Novel, magazine publishers, shopping malls, manufacturers of CD players, CRTs, etc. etc. etc.
when you have these new products that can perform better than the mavics ,and be able to be up to the quality standards of the mavics then i will take back my comments
almost every other drone company has made a look alike mavic and a phantom clone whether that is right or wrong is not the issue the consumer wants the best bang for their buck

ADS-B Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out, does not work, if the other aircraft is not equipped with it. Thousands of airplanes without electrical systems do not have ADS-B and are not required to have ADS-B.. The planes without ADS-B are the ones generally operating below 1000' AGL. Unfortunately, some airplanes operate recklessly below 400' AGL. think wire strikes. Agriculture and helicopters and maybe a few others are the exception to my "reckless operations" comment. Regardless, they've still got the right-of-way over us.
Even if FAA changed their mind on allowing us to have ADS-B-out, (they think we'd saturate the ADS-B system), I don't think having ADS-B-in would be much benefit to either of us, at or below 400'. I may change my mind on it being beneficial, when DJI adds, TIS and TAS to my mavic mini application.

Last edited:
when you have these new products that can perform better than the mavics ,and be able to be up to the quality standards of the mavics then i will take back my comments

No need to ever take back your comments!

But you have illustrated the point I was trying to make.

To remain the industry leader, DJI must continually innovate and deliver higher customer value with each new product. This often includes eating into its own market share of an old product with a newer product.

If a leading company or its product line (see the list in my post above) ever settles for merely being "reactive" to its competition, they are ultimately doomed.

There is a reason we see Apple and Samsung as perennial industry leaders while we have almost forgotten names like Motorola, Sony and Nokia.

Cheers!

Reactions: old man mavic
Best Buy has dropped the price for the MA1 down to $599 for the basic kit and $699 for the Fly More package.
I would expect MA2 to be at least $300 more when it hits the shelves.
I hate that it dropped so much and I didn’t know about the MA2 coming out. I just purchased the MA1 Fly more 30 days ago for $500 more from BB. No adjustment of course.,

• Sad
Reactions: kwolfskill
Occusync 2
– I get this one as well. I guess my question would be, how bad is the MA1 wi-fi system in comparison? I live out in the suburbs, and don't envision flying the drone in dense urban areas with a lot of radio noise.

not to sure about this one. Either the antenna is part of the device mount or inside controller. Both could grab noise real quick from device your using. I don’t see any modifications for amped either. I think it’s got it and great for the goggles and such but don’t think the range will be as advertised.however it should still be better the the original MA.

What is ocusync?
its a radio transmission system used by DJI, to connect the RC to the drone,because of the way it works, it gives a much more stable link, and distance than normal WIFI
Occusync 2 is a more refined version

its a radio transmission system used by DJI, to connect the RC to the drone,because of the way it works, it gives a much more stable link, and distance than normal WIFI
Occusync 2 is a more refined version
Oh ok gotcha thanks, awesome! But I wonder if it will work with my Samsung s10+ phone or accommodate iPad mini 5.

Oh ok gotcha thanks, awesome! But I wonder if it will work with my Samsung s10+ phone or accommodate iPad mini 5.
the occusync part is between the RC and the drone the RC connects to your device via a cable nothing to do with occusync

Reactions: Ztopgun28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark