DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - Will You Upgrade?

Reactions
DJI has been releasing a ridiculous amount of drones in the past year, and these things definitel do not come cheap. With products like the Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S currently out in the market, what can the upcoming Mavic 3 have to offer that would make you want to upgrade or replace whatever drone you have now?

Reactions: Chris4koi
I probably will, I've always liked to have the latest & best affordable tech, the MP2 has been great for me, I need something that has advanced capabilities such as good all round sensors, good battery life & very important to me is capable of flying Litchi autonomous missions when needed, & obviously a top end camera, I have a feeling the Mavic 3 (if & when it does appear) should tick all these boxes & if it is compatible with the new DJI FPV goggles with occusync 3.0 then it has me sold already, can only hope, just have to start saving the funds now.

Reactions: Mike49
for me i would only be interested if it has the new C rating ,to allow it to not become almost obsolete after 2022 here in the UK

Not so long ago I would immediately say yes to the Mavic 3.
Now I am not so sure anymore, knowing how many limitations will be built in by DJI.
There will be so many places where you cannot take off. Also the take off or climbing speed is reduced. Also the distance from the controller will be limited to a fixed maximum.
I dislike it when a factory on the other side of the world gets to decide how and when I can fly. And this doesn't mean that I want to ignore the drone laws and regulations here. But there is a discrepancy between the local regulations and what DJI programs into their no fly zones.
Of course the video and photo capability will be excellent and this is miles better then I am used with my original Mavic from 2017.

Ruud

I probably will, I've always liked to have the latest & best affordable tech, the MP2 has been great for me, I need something that has advanced capabilities such as good all round sensors, good battery life & very important to me is capable of flying Litchi autonomous missions when needed, & obviously a top end camera, I have a feeling the Mavic 3 (if & when it does appear) should tick all these boxes & if it is compatible with the new DJI FPV goggles with occusync 3.0 then it has me sold already, can only hope, just have to start saving the funds now.
Actually, I am very pleased with my Mavic 2 Pro. The only thing I would have liked would be all-around sensors. But that would not make me buy a $1500+ more drone. I fear that the newer drones will have more flying limitations and that would actually be a deterrent to the purchase, unless the new drone has infinitely more improvements.

Most definitely. ??

DJI has been releasing a ridiculous amount of drones in the past year, and these things definitel do not come cheap. With products like the Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S currently out in the market, what can the upcoming Mavic 3 have to offer that would make you want to upgrade or replace whatever drone you have now?
I own the EVO2 6k PRO and EVO2 8k. I will only change if the sensor is bigger, has at least 6k and a flight time that is the same or equal to the EVO2. I will modify the RC to increase the WIFI strength. I do it to all my drone RCs. I like flying low, away from manned aircraft, but you need a strong signal to stay low. I also own the Mav2pro, Air2s and the MavAir2. I've sold my Mav2Pro. I'm also going to sell the Mav Air2 because I like the Air2S much better. I'm trying to get a little extra cash in case I want to buy the Mav3. I hear it's gonna be between 2000 and 3000 dollars.

Why upgrade? The existing machines are great. The last significant improvement was the 1 in sensor. My P3 4K still flys well, takes very good pictures, and runs Litchi missions as well as the later drones.

As a Mavic Air 2 owner for about a year, I would only consider adding a Mavic 3 for its photographic capabilities over the Air 2. That would include the larger sensor, a high resolution optical zoom (4x or better) and some extra drone controls such as all round sensors, a fitted hi-vis strobe (RC controlled), potential for interchanging or switching to a thermal camera and especially waypoint flight control (i.e. repeatable pre-flight planning). This latter feature would enable the new drone to be used for ground mapping survey work, which is currently completed on my professional work using a colleague’s Phantom 4 RTK drone. And increasing the specs should not mean making the price hugely expensive. Technology is available now and it should be integrated without R&D recovery costs.

Why upgrade? The existing machines are great. The last significant improvement was the 1 in sensor. My P3 4K still flys well, takes very good pictures, and runs Litchi missions as well as the later drones.
Why not it might be greater ?‍♂️
Will have to wait and see. They wouldn’t come out with a 3 unless
something was better. Way I see it anyway. Happy with what you
got don’t buy in.

Yes! After the Air 2S, I'm planning on getting the Mavic 3 Pro (DJI 3 Pro?). However, that will depend on whether they release it with the ability to plot waypoints and other features that an open SDK allows. Now, they might build that stuff in and close the SDK to other developers... However, if I get a job that requires a different drone with different abilities (infra-red, etc...), I'll opt to buy that one.

Reactions: Thanohano44
I hear talk of distance regs on new drones??? Does anyone know what they will be?

I hear talk of distance regs on new drones??? Does anyone know what they will be?
Haven't heard anything. But if I were to take a wild guess, a very wild guess, I would guess it's not less 4 miles. Night flying with bright enough strobes gets VLOS easily within 4 miles. If it's less than that, Well, I would never buy a drone that is restricted to less than 4 miles; spotters can help get you to a 4 mile point. And what about those who use drones for delivery purposes. They may need more than 3-4 miles of range when they get BVLOS permits. The use of spotters can easily get you out 4 miles or more. I just don't see a regulation forthcoming in my crystal ball. However, their may be a rule created with certain conditions. I just doubt it would be locked into an app.

Reactions: Mr Mint
Just as many people buy the latest computer with all the bells and whistles, only to use 1/10th of its potential (play solitaire and send texts), there will be those that will buy a $3000.00 drone to simply fly around the neighborhood! For me, buying the Mavic 3 will depend on how much improvement is made. Cost and capabilities will determine whether or not I jump on board. I’ve had Phantoms, Minis and Mavics and still rely heavily on my Phantom 4 Adv for 99% of what I do. It’s rock solid, produces great still and video and is more stable in wind than any other drone I’ve had. Some folks just “have to have” the newest tech….. and that’s perfectly fine. I prefer to have the money in the bank if there isn’t a tremendous advantage to upgrade to what we used to call “the bleeding edge of technology”. Just as with the Air 2S, there are always a few initial bugs in the first run production / software. I would rather someone else take the plunge and be a test market before I lay out the cash on a NEW product line. Waiting a few months after release always seems to reduce the disappointment of having to deal with a bad product. Whether an auto, drone or other electronic device I would rather wait and see how an item performs before making my decision to purchase. I still get the same rush when opening a new purchase, even if it is a few months after its release.

Just as many people buy the latest computer with all the bells and whistles, only to use 1/10th of its potential (play solitaire and send texts), there will be those that will buy a $3000.00 drone to simply fly around the neighborhood! For me, buying the Mavic 3 will depend on how much improvement is made. Cost and capabilities will determine whether or not I jump on board. I’ve had Phantoms, Minis and Mavics and still rely heavily on my Phantom 4 Adv for 99% of what I do. It’s rock solid, produces great still and video and is more stable in wind than any other drone I’ve had. Some folks just “have to have” the newest tech….. and that’s perfectly fine. I prefer to have the money in the bank if there isn’t a tremendous advantage to upgrade to what we used to call “the bleeding edge of technology”. Just as with the Air 2S, there are always a few initial bugs in the first run production / software. I would rather someone else take the plunge and be a test market before I lay out the cash on a NEW product line. Waiting a few months after release always seems to reduce the disappointment of having to deal with a bad product. Whether an auto, drone or other electronic device I would rather wait and see how an item performs before making my decision to purchase. I still get the same rush when opening a new purchase, even if it is a few months after its release.
I concur. I owned a Mav2Pro, but switched to the EVO26k when it was released. The first 2 crashed on their own, no fault of mine. I finally got a 3rd. It's performance was dramatically improved compared to the first 2 EVO2s. The third EVO2 was like flying a completely different drone compared to the first 2. If the new Mav3 isn't a dramatically significant upgrade relative to the EVO2 6k, I doubt I will purchase it. Or, I may wait quite a long time before considering it.

My drone works. Why upgrade?
Curiously Slade what drone did you start out flying with ?
Well being you won’t answer to answer your ....why ...from looking at all your post I would ask you why go from a Holy Stone to a MP to a Air 2. To upgrade to a better drone .?‍♂️

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I concur. I owned a Mav2Pro, but switched to the EVO26k when it was released. The first 2 crashed on their own, no fault of mine. I finally got a 3rd. It's performance was dramatically improved compared to the first 2 EVO2s. The third EVO2 was like flying a completely different drone compared to the first 2. If the new Mav3 isn't a dramatically significant upgrade relative to the EVO2 6k, I doubt I will purchase it. Or, I may wait quite a long time before considering it.
So many will want to purchase the 6K drone without even having the computer capable of handling the demand a 6K video file. It’s like using a shotgun to kill a fly. Most 2 year old computer systems simply don’t have the horsepower to run 6K video workload. Seems like a waste to have a camera that capable but an outmoded computer.

So many will want to purchase the 6K drone without even having the computer capable of handling the demand a 6K video file. It’s like using a shotgun to kill a fly. Most 2 year old computer systems simply don’t have the horsepower to run 6K video workload. Seems like a waste to have a camera that capable but an outmoded computer.
True. I updated my desktop 6mnths ago. It can now handle 8k. Video software needed updating as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece