DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Confused Than Ever..Help

WNYBill

Reactions
At 85 I need a new toy! Thought a drone would scratch the itch. Something I could launch off the deck during cocktail hour and check out our food plots all less than a mile away. Would be nice to take stills and video, I am not even a good amateur photographer. I have been lurking and asking questions for 6 months and all I know for sure is that I want a RC controller. Mini-pro4 has been at the top of my list (like the avoidance), then a Air2s, then somebody suggested a rank amateur like me should just get a used Mini 2 or 3 and play with it. At my age I am frugal, hell cheap! Please help me.

At 85 I need a new toy! Thought a drone would scratch the itch. Something I could launch off the deck during cocktail hour and check out our food plots all less than a mile away. Would be nice to take stills and video, I am not even a good amateur photographer. I have been lurking and asking questions for 6 months and all I know for sure is that I want a RC controller. Mini-pro4 has been at the top of my list (like the avoidance), then a Air2s, then somebody suggested a rank amateur like me should just get a used Mini 2 or 3 and play with it. At my age I am frugal, hell cheap! Please help me.
I highly recommend the DJI Air 3

somebody suggested a rank amateur like me should just get a used Mini 2 or 3 and play with it
The entire DJI consumer drone lineup could be flown by anyone from amateur to pro. They are so similar control-wise that you could easily fly any model after learning how to fly one.

Since price is important to you and you want a DJI RC (the remote controller with a screen), I'd recommend one of these models:
If you want to take a closer look at the feature differences, you can compare all of the DJI consumer drone models here.

The Air 3 is a really nice drone. However, I don't think it would be a good choice for you considering it's priced at $1,549 (more than double the cost of the Mini 3 Pro).

You could also buy a used drone from eBay and save some money. I wouldn't personally go that route since you don't know the history of the drone. If you buy new and decide it's not for you, then you could sell it on eBay and get most of your money back.

I would suggest you study up on drone rules before purchasing. While it sounds like fun to go flying while drinking alcohol, it is never a good idea (read illegal) to fly a drone while "under the influence".

That aside, take a look at this website: DJI FlySafe1715527426086.png
You will need to create an account (free), and then you can search all over the world, and see where you can fly. DJI has the wonderful (said sarcastically) feature of keeping you from flying anywhere they feel isn't safe. From the map above, you can see where they will prevent a DJI drone from even letting the motors start, impose height limitations, and "block off" areas that they think are not allowed to fly. Many times, they are incorrect. This can be frustrating. There are usually ways around this - but this is a whole new subject.

Don't get me wrong - I own five DJI drones including my favorite; the Air 3. Just don't expect to charge the battery, and take off where you want without first checking to make it is "legal" at that location.

Don't get me wrong - I own five DJI drones including my favorite; the Air 3
Which model would you recommend for the OP considering price is important?

I'd go with a new drone, just to avoid hassles. With the added DJI insurance.

One of the Mini line-up would do you nicely. The sideways obstacle avoidance on the 4 is nice to have (because many great video shots require flying sideways) but remember that obstacle avoidance is a backup to keeping the drone in sight.

Has the added advantage that if you travel to Canada you can fly here (under 250 g doesn't need a SFOC for a foreign pilot)!

Up here VLOS (Visual Line-of-Sight) is mandatory, and there's a 500 m limit even if you have eagle eyes. Don't know what the requirements are down south.

You'll need to take the TRUST test to fly recreationally.

Reactions: twickers14
You'll need to take the TRUST test to fly recreationally
For more details on that, the TRUST test can be taken online for free in several minutes. I completed it here.

Which model would you recommend for the OP considering price is important?
Hi msinger:

For a first drone, I would recommend a used drone, the cheapest one you can buy.

Mainly because, unless you are incredibly careful, you are undoubtedly going to crash it, and unless you get DJI Care Refresh, it is going to cost a lot (relatively) to replace it.

Used recommendations (check the classified section on this forum):

DJI Mini 2 - If you can find one, this is an even older mini model, is SUPER-light (not good in windy conditions), has no obstacle-avoidance, but the price is really low. This would be a good first drone to see how you like flying. You will have to find one used and DJI no longer manufactures these for the U.S.

DJI Mini 3 Pro - While this is not the current "mini" model, it still performs well, has obstacle-avoidance, and makes good videos. You can still buy this new, with the DJI RC-N1 controller (no built-in screen - you will need to use your phone as a screen) - new price from DJI is currently $599 but they are currently "out of stock".

New recommendations:

DJI Mini 4 Pro - This has the latest RF communications protocol (read: has the longest-range), which is great, but also instantly makes it not compatible with any of the previous controllers/goggles. New price from DJI is $759 with the RC-N1 controller (no screen) or $1099 for the RC-2 (built-in screen) with fly-more combo (more batteries and extras).

DJI MIni 2 SE - This is the cheapest drone that DJI sells. It also has the least amount of features. No obstacle-avoidance, only 2.7k/30fps video, one battery, 30-minute flytime. But you can buy 360-degree propeller guards for this drone. These will shorten your battery duration, and if you fly near trees, they can get "hooked" on tree branches. But that is usually better than crashing to the ground. Positives: super-cheap, super light, it is made for beginners, $279 with no battery ($55 extra).

Reactions: Hermey
@jimlips thanks for sharing! Considering the OP wants the DJI RC, it looks like the Mini 3 Pro is going to be the minimum choice if the OP goes with a Mini.

Reactions: jimlips
@jimlips thanks for sharing! Considering the OP wants the DJI RC, it looks like the Mini 3 Pro is going to be the minimum choice if the OP goes with a Mini.
The one thing I wanted to share, was that the OP should spend the extra $$ on the RC-2 (not the default RC-N1). Every drone that I bought originally that came with the N1 (which has no built-in screen), I ended up buying the RC-2 for it (spending way more than if I would have just bought it with the screen to begin with). It is AWESOME to not have to clamp your phone into the RC and hook up the USB cable, adjust, etc. You just power on the RC-2 and your drone and you can take off as soon as it has satellite lock. Fantastic!

Reactions: msinger
I ended up buying the RC-2 for it (spending way more than if I would have just bought it with the screen to begin with). It is AWESOME to not have to clamp your phone into the RC and hook up the USB cable, adjust, etc.
Same here! I was thinking I wouldn't use it much, but I also find it way more convenient than connecting my phone to the remote controller. Really happy I bought my RC controllers!

That aside, take a look at this website: DJI FlySafeView attachment 174978
From the map above, you can see where they will prevent a DJI drone from even letting the motors start, impose height limitations, and "block off" areas that they think are not allowed to fly.
It's highly misleading to suggest that the grey circles indicate areas where DJI will not allow their drones to fly. The actual situation is far less restrictive. The large grey circles denote altitude zones, with a 500m floor, far beyond the 400' ASL limit for drones. Drones are allowed to operate there except in the much smaller controlled airspaces that require LAANC authorization within each, shown in green below.

A better look at controlled airspace where drone operations require authorization can be found in the FAA's UAS Facility Maps.

Screenshot 2024-05-12 121110.jpg

Reactions: davidarmenb

Good evening to all-

WNY Bill- For what you are looking for, a MINI 2 would work fine. although it has no obstacle avoidance, if you take her up to 250-300 feet and go your way, I doubt you will ever encounter any collision problems. And at that height with the zoom features built in, you can see quite clearly if anything is on a foodplot- deer, turkey, whatever.
I quite often fly my little Mini 2 drones a mile or more away to look over local ponds and fields.
And yes, I know that is not VLOS, but I am not terribly concerned where I fly is totally rural and no planes of any kind ever fly low here.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

It sounds as though you plan to fly beyond visual line of site, while drinking..........both are rules violations...maybe this hobby really is not for you

Thank you all. I'll be looking for a used Mini 3pro but they are nearly as much as a Mini 4. I'll watch e-bay, but only buy where I can return.
My reference to cocktail hour was a misnomer. Cocktail hour at our house is a gathering time for children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I have my Trust certificate. Very rural here, little air traffic, not even any ultralights anymore. Medavac to local nursing home maybe once a month.

Thank you all. I'll be looking for a used Mini 3pro but they are nearly as much as a Mini 4. I'll watch e-bay, but only buy where I can return.
My reference to cocktail hour was a misnomer. Cocktail hour at our house is a gathering time for children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I have my Trust certificate. Very rural here, little air traffic, not even any ultralights anymore. Medavac to local nursing home maybe once a month.
At that price point I'd be inclined to go with new, and spring a bit more for DJI Refresh in case of crashes. Especially if the grands/great-grands are old enough to want to try flying!

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I suggest that you take the TRUST test while learning about which drones fit your needs

than explore the B4UFLY app to investigate the restricted air spaces in your area

then use and investigate the FAADRONE ZONE

I also think it is a good idea to join the Academy of Miniature aeronautics. good liability insurance, great place to discuss and learn about drones, flying, places to fly...

Be aware that if you live in or near a restricted airspace, you will need the FAA to approve you to fly in that space and that DJI will NOT let you fly until you can prove to them that the FAA has approved the same( called geofencing)

good luck

Last edited:
The controllers with screens are nice IF you have great vision and can see that little picture I would find any of the models that are Compatable with the RC-N1 and use an IPAD IMO you will be able to see much easier. ANY DJI Drone is a beginner drone as far as flying them so give them all a look. I own an Air2S and it has been a great Drone and the Batteries for it are cheap. There are pros and cons to each DJI Model If you want a MINI I would look at the MINI 2 ( Best in the wind.) I know you want a Drone with Obstacle avoidance But you should not rely on that and I would say its a nice "feature" but I wouldnt say no to a model simply because it didnt have it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giovi321