a private pilot
commercial pilot
airline pilot
RC pilot
drone pilot
UAS pilot
etc etc"

I wholeheartedly agree!

" But i do know people that value their self importance and may wish to be seen as superior to others. Surely this would be the only reason for being offended"

Meh....I disagree!!
Fair enough. Why do you think people get offended at other peoples titles?

Fair enough. Why do you think people get offended at other peoples titles?
It has more to do with deception rather than 'self importance' or 'superiority'...
If anything, one can switch it around and say that some use 'lying through omission' as a means to attain self importance by claiming they are 'a pilot,' but not admitting they are a drone pilot.
There are many other examples but I won't go down that rabbit hole.

But why would someone care what another calls them self ?

Reactions: Torque

Well, calling yourself a doctor (context medical) when you're not is something I care about.

Just sayin'...

The problem is when someone is a "thing", and someone else is a different class of that thing that is maybe more rigorous, so they claim the first party isn't a "real" one.

I find that sort of behavior despicable.

I'm a pilot. A drone pilot, and a VFR SE (no longer current) pilot. I'm not an IFR pilot, commercial pilot, Navy jet pilot, etc. Doesn't change a dang thing about me being a pilot. I pilot aircraft, so I am an aviator.

Q.E.D.

Last edited:
If anything, one can switch it around and say that some use 'lying through omission' as a means to attain self importance by claiming they are 'a pilot,' but not admitting they are a drone pilot.

I find this theory offensive. It is loaded with unwarranted, disparaging presumption (lying, seeking self-importance, etc.)

If someone flies drones and says without qualification they are a "pilot", just what is deceptive about that statement?

Same question if they have obtained a p107 certification, and state without qualification they are, "an FAA certified pilot"?

Last edited:
Say you are on a flight and the cockpit crew are both incapacitated. The stewardess calls out if there is a pilot on board and a drone passenger responds that they are a pilot.
Good luck with that scenario....lol

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Say you are on a flight and the cockpit crew are both incapacitated. The stewardess calls out if there is a pilot on board and a drone passenger responds that they are a pilot.
In the UK, the biggest clue to this conundrum lies in the Aviation Authority registration. The 12 letter alpha-string is prefixed by "GBR-OP". GBR=Great BRitain. OP=OPerator.
The second registration string that certifies you've passed the kindergarten quiz is prefixed "FLY". FLY=FLYer.
So, as far as the CAA is concerned: I'm either a drone operator, or a drone flier.
Do people who fly model aircraft call themselves pilots?

Reactions: Dronecation
In the UK, the biggest clue to this conundrum lies in the Aviation Authority registration. The 12 letter alpha-string is prefixed by "GBR-OP". GBR=Great BRitain. OP=OPerator.
The second registration string that certifies you've passed the kindergarten quiz is prefixed "FLY". FLY=FLYer.
So, as far as the CAA is concerned: I'm either a drone operator, or a drone flier.
People say and do the oddest things. Example here:

Who would you rather have behind the yoke in that circumstance: A p107 drone pilot, or the fashion designer sitting next to her?

Serious question.

Yes, I was an RC pilot for years before I became a drone pilot.
I have NEVER thought the word "pilot" was a status symbol. It is a descriptor, especially when preceded by a qualifying adjective like "Drone". In my 40 years of flying radio controlled models, often along side commercial and/or military pilots, I have never heard one of them complain that we lowly toy flyers call ourselves pilots. I suppose there are some fragile egos out there, but I have never encountered one.
IMO this is as insipid as a Grand Prix or Formula 1 Driver being upset because the Uber guy calls himself a "Driver".
Or as silly as the arguments about what we should call the things we fly; Drone? Quadcopter? UAS? UAV? Cause you know, "Drone" is just too scary to the public....

Last edited:
Yes, I was an RC pilot for years before I became a drone pilot.
I have NEVER thought the word "pilot" was a status symbol. It is a descriptor, especially when

Yes!!! Its called the english language.

For my part, I've been flying remote control aircraft since I was a kid, going back to the first thrilling experience of a gas-powered U-control. Around and around, just elevator control, but you could do fancy stuff like loops!

On to the first radio RC, a Gentle Lady. 2-channel glider. Oh those memories cliff-soaring in Half Moon Bay. Could stay aloft forever.

I'll second @Torque's experience having never encountered one of the Big Boys getting all arrogant and judgemental. Usually they love to talk about flying with another enthusiast.

I'll add that I've never encountered some slimeball RC pilot trying to pass themselves off as a manned aircraft pilot. The 6 of them that actually exist are all huddled in some cave somewhere.

Reactions: Torque
I believe we are Remote Pilots in Command. I personally know those who fly military drones and it is a very different stress factor.
I know there is back and forth as aerial Cinema photographers vs pilots. Remember a pilot is normally up there to fly the aircraft, not to make movies or take pictures.
A drone RPIC is there to do both. I do not fly a manned acft. My brother does and he was amazed at what I studied and needed for my Part 107, but I believe it has definitely helped me to be a safer and therefore better RPIC.
What most don't appreciate is almost like when I was an IT manager. It was far easier for me to be sitting at a computer station working the problem then to get a call at home and have to visualize what the client is experiencing. Most folks don't communicate what they hear or see well over a phone.
So , when I see my drone and what my drone is seeing for the desired photo or video, the whole time controlling it's flight and cameras being totally aware of my spacial awareness, the drone's spatial operation, and the controllers feedback. All safely. Don't sell this position short.
My brother has mentioned numerous times how he feels an immediate reaction to his operation of the flight controls. Feeling ascension or descension , etc. I have to rely on distant perseption and remote feedback to ascertainment my attitude or promiximatey.
Just my observation. No pun intended.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111