DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Failed

PakNheat380

Reactions
Flying my Air2s in active shots "follow me" mode yesterday and the drone failed to avoid a small tree. In watching the video it appears the drone attempted to climb to the right but failed to clear it. It hung up in the tree for a while until a gust of wind knocked it free. No damage to drone or props. Flew it on a couple of test flights in open space with no issues. My question is what really happened since the avoidance was set to bypass. Did it make the attempt or am I misreading the video? The Air2s seems to react violently with fast jerky moves rather than slow methodical ones. I also have an Air2 and it has never had an encounter with an obstacle and I've flown it in much tougher environments than you will see in this video. It also is a lot smoother in it's avoidance moves. I've included two links below. One for the AirData flight data and the other to a short clip of the crash. If one or more of our resident experts can figure out what happened I would sure love hearing your thoughts.

Reactions: RodPad
My question is what really happened since the avoidance was set to bypass. Did it make the attempt or am I misreading the video?
The Air 2S cannot avoid obstacles when moving sideways (like in your video). Your flight log shows no sign that the drone made an attempt to brake and/or avoid an obstacle.

The Air 2S cannot avoid obstacles when moving sideways (like in your video). Your flight log shows no sign that the drone made an attempt to brake and/or avoid an obstacle.
I appreciate you looking at the video & data. I know the drone doesn’t have side to side sensors but I incorrectly assumed that with a 72 degree forward visibility that with a slight turn either direction it would sense the obstacle. The tree actually is visible for a time before contact is made. Obviously my mistake and I should be grateful it wasn’t the full limbed fir tree that I passed moments before!

I don't have the Air 2 (I have M2 Pro and M3 Classic) but the sensors don't detect small branches or fine wires.

Reactions: CraigVMN

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02