DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC

Rebelvis

Reactions
I will be briefly visiting these 2 cities this spring and would like to fly my Mavic some. I'm particularly interested in the waterfront areas. I see from the FAA maps that there are areas outside the airport NFZ's but would appreciate any tips/warning from locals about where to fly and where to avoid.

Thanks!

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
I live just outside of Savannah and have flown on River street a few times. I would recommend launching at the east end of river street in the large grassy area. I launched further west and had issue with compass calibration due to all the iron/ metals in the board walk area.

Reactions: Rebelvis
Thanks for the videos. Unfortunately, for my brief visit, I won't be able to get to the island. Are there places near the water front where it's OK to take-off and fly?

Reactions: Golfez
Island of the palms

Attachments

• 5ACCEEC1-7AD7-42A0-8934-F5FED21BBF10.jpeg
    5ACCEEC1-7AD7-42A0-8934-F5FED21BBF10.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 38
I live just outside of Savannah and have flown on River street a few times. I would recommend launching at the east end of river street in the large grassy area. I launched further west and had issue with compass calibration due to all the iron/ metals in the board walk area.

When we go to Savannah, I like to fly from the conference center, next to the Westin, that faces the river. It gives good access to photograph the large ships on the river

Reactions: Rebelvis
Best place to launch downtown is across the river on Hutcheson Island. There’s a boat shuttle landing that is abandoned (I assume- in the year I’ve flown from there I’ve only seen semi trucks parked). It’s an elevated landing and it’s concrete.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to fly at Charleston but, did do some brief flying at St. Simons and Savannah. At Savannah I took Golfez's advice and flew down the river and got some nice shots of their fake paddle-wheeler which happened along while I was in flight.

Here's and edited summary:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Gindra
Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to fly at Charleston but, did do some brief flying at St. Simons and Savannah. At Savannah I took Golfez's advice and flew down the river and got some nice shots of their fake paddle-wheeler which happened along while I was in flight.

Here's and edited summary:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Really nice video! Smooth flying. Cinematic!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittany