DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will be buying a Mini 4 Pro in a week or so - What essentials should I get with it?

Depending on the flight rules where you live, extended batteries are nice to have for the extra flight time (if being above 249 g isn't too restrictive).

I recently got a lanyard for use with the controller, and it is really nice. Don't know how I managed without one before! (Actually, I do know ā€” I juggled things one-handed and nearly dropped the controller a couple of times.)

A spare set of control sticks is useful in case you are out in the field and drop one in long grass. Related to that, a case that lets you keep the sticks on the controller is very handy. I have the soft case that came with my Mini 3 Pro, but I got a Pygtech clip-on cover for the RC Controller that protects the screen and sticks when it's in the bag.

A better screwdriver than the one that comes with the fly-more kit makes replacing props a lot easier.

I have ND filters but have never used them ā€” I mostly shoot stills so actually want a high shutter speed. If you shoot video or want stills with motion blur then a good set of filters would be useful.

Depending on the flight rules where you live, extended batteries are nice to have for the extra flight time (if being above 249 g isn't too restrictive).
I would love a couple of them but unfortunately they're not available here as they'd take it over 250g and that's not a place I want to be.

I recently got a lanyard for use with the controller, and it is really nice.
Now that's a good suggestion, I think it's a good idea so I'll have a look around. I'm sure there must be literally hundreds of them around!

A spare set of control sticks is useful in case you are out in the field and drop one in long grass. Related to that, a case that lets you keep the sticks on the controller is very handy. I have the soft case that came with my Mini 3 Pro, but I got a Pygtech clip-on cover for the RC Controller that protects the screen and sticks when it's in the bag.
Another good shout. The Fly More thing comes with a spare set of them which I keep in the bag. I've also got a sun screen that covers the front with the sticks so I don't need to take them off each time.

A better screwdriver than the one that comes with the fly-more kit makes replacing props a lot easier.
I use my Wowstick.

I won't be skinning the drone, I really think they look tacky and I'm currently undecided about whether I need nd filters or not.

Now that's a good suggestion, I think it's a good idea so I'll have a look around. I'm sure there must be literally hundreds of them around!
I bought a set of four screw-in eyes on Amazon (so I could also attach one to my Smart Controller) and a couple of cheap camera straps. Less than half the price of the cheapest lanyard on Amazon.

I bought a set of four screw-in eyes on Amazon (so I could also attach one to my Smart Controller) and a couple of cheap camera straps. Less than half the price of the cheapest lanyard on Amazon.
This $12 lanyard is a good one, though I don't know about availability in the UK. It included two mounting eyes.

I'm probably going to be pulling the trigger on a Mini 4 Pro More Combo with the RC-2 controller in the next week or so, the 20% discount for new accounts on Very is really pulling me in.

Coming from a Mini 2, what accessories would you consider to be essential? I understand the Mini 4 doesn't come with an actual PSU so I was thinking about an Apple USB-C 30W charger, also from Very as it'll be included in the 20% off. There's no point in going higher than 30W, according to the manual, that's the maximum supported charge power.

I have a landing pad, I have a handful of 64Gb SD cards.

Care Refresh seems to be Ā£119 for two years direct from DJI, is there any way to legitimately get it cheaper than this?

What other essentials should I consider for the Mini 4 Pro?

Thanks.
Many batteries and 4G modules

I have just got my Mini 4 Pro a few months ago and I really enjoy it here are a few things I bought for it. I bought the Fly More Combo with the Rc 2. I bought this because it was under 250g and I am trying to not buy anything that takes it over the limit.

FPVtosky hard case:

Lanyard for controller:

Neewer variable ND Filters:

Controller extra sticks:

Screen Protector for Controller:

I really like all of these, they are all good quality and each under $100CAD so that was a big selling point for me. Overall you will enjoy your Mini 4 Pro alot, just remember to watch where you're flying. Have fun flying your drone!

Last edited:
I have to admit I was rather blown away by the M4P when I first saw it, and, unusually for me, only did about a week of research before hitting the go button.

This was enough to pre-warn me I probably needed a sunshield for the RC2, and I was delighted to find one on Amazon that remained attached and still fitted in the case, so it could protect the sticks and screen (also from sudden unexpected rain out in the field) and means I never have to remove or lose them !

I was unaware before purchase that I needed a 30 watt USB charger, so was without one of those when the Mini first arrived, but I made do with a regular phone charger until the 30 watt one arrived, which was fine. And a 10 pound one off amazon seems totally fine and charges everything very fast.

I also got the DJI ND filter set, and another 128 GB memory card. Should have bought 2 of those with hindsight - had forgotten I needed one in the controller too.

Accessories I thought I would need with the M4P, but already had, included:
  • Landing Pad (which I consider essential for tiny drones without long legs like this one)
  • Anemometer (tiny craft - knowing what wind is up to more important than previously)
  • Lanyard - plan stymied because DJI don't even provide the insert clasps so I currently have nothing to clip it to ! (will probably order that 'leveling' one above, which is very similar to the way my Typhoon H lanyard used to work - seems overpriced, but I really appreciate a level controller !).
Things I still think are missing from my setup that I still need to buy fairly soon include:
  • 'Dustin Dunhill' style peaked baseball cap with camera mount (for my DJI Osmo Action 3). This is better than a regular headband mount, mainly because the peak helps a LOT in keeping sun out of your eyes.
  • White / Red / Green reflective sticker strips for greater VLOS distance.
  • Strobes, if I can ever find any small and light enough to keep us under the magic 250g (I can't).
But that's quite a small list, so doesn't feel too financially ruinous to be back in the hobby with what feels like a very advanced and evolved machine.

Interestingly, being 51 now and finding that my near-field eyesight has started degenerating, I did come across a problem I haven't yet perfectly solved. I want regular sunglasses whenever I look up at the sky to view the craft, but when I am looking down at my controller I want my reading glasses, and only on the very brightest of days the darkened sunglasses version of them ! (Both reading glasses and reading sunglasses available for silly cheap prices at local pound-land or equivalent!). But how to have both on at the same time without looking utterly ridiculous ?!

Still trying to find a better solution for that one, but if your eyes are still perfect, be grateful for that while they are ! :)

Last edited:
But how to have both on at the same time without looking utterly ridiculous ?!
Progressive lenses for your glasses so looking down is reading and looking forward is distance. Bifocals are also a possibility, and a bit cheaper. Or if you're really old-school, simple half-lenses. There's really no other options now that your presbyopia has started.

For the sunglasses what you need are aviator sunglasses (which were designed for reading instruments so they are like graduated filters with little darkening at the bottom and a lot at the top)

If you can find a set of clip-on aviator sunglasses you can keep using them as your prescription changes. (And as a bonus you can use your fancy (and expensive) glasses indoors.)

Reactions: AeroJ
It's a good point, looking at this charger which should do both the drone and the controller at the same time.
Make sure the charger is PD output type or youā€™ll be waiting 6 hours.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inecho