DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K laptops

Gary cato

Reactions
So i have been looking at what will cope with the video best.

anyone have any of the following

4K IMac

Macbookpro

or a 4k Laptop

Anything recommended?

Reactions: pgitug
My PC could not cope with 4K, I tried my daughters MBP mid 2014 yesterday, with resolve it could not cope however Final Cut did work with the files to edit.

Reactions: tigerdave
My PC could not cope with 4K, I tried my daughters MBP mid 2014 yesterday, with resolve it could not cope however Final Cut did work with the files to edit.
Thanks i thought as much i was thinking Macbook like the mavic for portabillity but a 4k imac looks like the way to go right now, with a crap laptop for being out and about with

A Mac laptop with FCPX will get you best performance on the go.
As much as I hate that to be the only viable solution (I'm more of a Windows guy and had several years of Premiere experience) there is just no comparison. My 12" Macbook which is an ultraportable rather than a poweful machine with FCPX runs circles around my top of the line desktop PC with any software I've tried to use on it.

A Mac laptop with FCPX will get you best performance on the go.
As much as I hate that to be the only viable solution (I'm more of a Windows guy and had several years of Premiere experience) there is just no comparison. My 12" Macbook which is an ultraportable rather than a poweful machine with FCPX runs circles around my top of the line desktop PC with any software I've tried to use on it.
Thanks i will take a look at them appreciate it as i really have no idea where to take this.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I have a Dell 6540 with a fast video card and it works fine watching or processing 4k files using Premiere Elements.

I've got a mid 2013 MacBook Pro 15" (with descrete graphics and ssd, 16gigs of ram). Using Final Cut Pro and it's all buttery smooth using a usb3 external hard drive to host the video files.

You can get the year/model I have for around $1200 or so now. Friend of mine bought one 6 months ago for that. Mine was 2700+ IIRC new. Thing is the last 5 or 6 years the performance increases have been more incremental than the older times when each yearly release was light years faster than the year before. Only issue is going to the MacBook Air line where the TDP is terrible and function follows form.

Macs tend to hold their value for a long time. But buying used a few years old will save you a bit of cash while still providing some longevity. Old standard was the Apple tended to support models for 6 years (with OS updates and improvements), suppose it's still that way now.

Best bang for your buck 4k laptop would be the 15" Asus Zenbook Pro.
The best build quality and screen would be the Dell XPS 15 9550/9560 4k, just more expensive then the Asus. You get the infinity screen and full RGB spectrum with the Dell.
The MacBook Pro Retina will cost you a few hundred more then the Dell and Asus and still not give you equal power. Your paying for the Apple name. If you Google search best video editing laptops, the MacBook Pro comes in a few spots down the list.

Reactions: Gary cato
I have a Dell 6540 with a fast video card and it works fine watching or processing 4k files using Premiere Elements.
yes i saw the dell seiries last night i am not a Dell fan but will say i am open to anything to be honest so thanks i will check it out

I have a 13" 2015 MBP

The screen is not 4k but I did watch some 4K video I took without problem. I guess QT scaled it.

I use FCP X as well but since my upload speed is so low I put everything at 1080p

I've got a mid 2013 MacBook Pro 15" (with descrete graphics and ssd, 16gigs of ram). Using Final Cut Pro and it's all buttery smooth using a usb3 external hard drive to host the video files.

You can get the year/model I have for around $1200 or so now. Friend of mine bought one 6 months ago for that. Mine was 2700+ IIRC new. Thing is the last 5 or 6 years the performance increases have been more incremental than the older times when each yearly release was light years faster than the year before. Only issue is going to the MacBook Air line where the TDP is terrible and function follows form.

Macs tend to hold their value for a long time. But buying used a few years old will save you a bit of cash while still providing some longevity. Old standard was the Apple tended to support models for 6 years (with OS updates and improvements), suppose it's still that way now.
again thanks for the advice it seems that a lot is down to personal preference i am not an apple fan. i just find apple seems to work better all round with the MP. Money is not an issue as i have a very understanding buisness partner and she has already bought both Mavics under business expenses ha ha ha and she is very open to an inspire V2 to add to the Mavics. A bit over the top for what i want it for to be honest but i am not paying. Same for the laptop She will be paying and she does not mind which way i go as long as what i get can handle the MP footage and do my work as well. (when i actually do any work that is). Just this morning she is calling me from Russia asking if i have made a choice yet ha ha ha. mmmm The Dell looks intersting plus maybe an imac at home and have the best of both worlds. Now where is that platinum card she gave me . oh yea its empty. urghhhhhhhhh i spent it all in Thailand ha ha

again thanks for the advice it seems that a lot is down to personal preference i am not an apple fan. i just find apple seems to work better all round with the MP. Money is not an issue as i have a very understanding buisness partner and she has already bought both Mavics under business expenses ha ha ha and she is very open to an inspire V2 to add to the Mavics. A bit over the top for what i want it for to be honest but i am not paying. Same for the laptop She will be paying and she does not mind which way i go as long as what i get can handle the MP footage and do my work as well. (when i actually do any work that is). Just this morning she is calling me from Russia asking if i have made a choice yet ha ha ha. mmmm The Dell looks intersting plus maybe an imac at home and have the best of both worlds. Now where is that platinum card she gave me . oh yea its empty. urghhhhhhhhh i spent it all in Thailand ha ha

Mac, for all their issues, have possibly the best capacity for handling the Mavic video. If money is not an issue, take a file to the Mac shop and try it.....

My vote is the Dell XPS 15. I have had problems with Asus DVD and Blu-ray players and Windows 10. I got 1 out of 2 to work.

I've had no issues with the Mavic's 4k video on Vegas Pro running under Windows, I don't really bother with editing on a laptop as their performance is significantly lower than a decent desktop PC. If I was going for a performance laptop, I'd probably go for something like a Alienware 15 as they're available with the faster mobile i7's, a GTX 1070 and slots for both an SSD and a hard drive.

John

My Dell XPS-13 works fine with 4k source although the screen is only HD, but editing and playback work great.

yes
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) for me - works great.
seems to be the way to go right now with work switching mainly to Apple i just looked at the Retina 2015 with i7 processors, SSD etc on the Macbook so i have put it on my to go look at list. Again thanks for all the input it is helpful

Reactions: Soundtekk
yes

seems to be the way to go right now with work switching mainly to Apple i just looked at the Retina 2015 with i7 processors, SSD etc on the Macbook so i have put it on my to go look at list. Again thanks for all the input it is helpful

I got an Acer Nitro 17" gaming laptop which handles 4K video fine, and just got a 13" HP Spectre latop for travelling. Both handle 4K fine and are both Windows machines.

I chose the Spectre after heading into the shop armed with a USB stick containign some raw 4K video and asked to play it, directly from the USB. Handled it fine......

Ian

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom