DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50% Drone Security Deposit in the Bahamas?

hey guys, i planed to go to bahamas over Xmas.
I saw quite a lot of messages about drone deposit fees and so on.
I did the following:
i wrote an Email to Gregory Edwards who is reponsible / in charge of drone security i heard.
I got the autorisation letter that is required with the date and so on.

What i am surprised is: i asked him about this custom fee and so on that i read everywhere.. that people had to deposit money and so on..
he told me:

As I am aware there are no fees or taxes associated with a visitor to The Bahamas bringing a drone into the country.

The letter of authorization gives you the clearance you need.

Regards,

Gregory Edwards

---- what do you think ? any update regarding bahamas ?

cheers
Mike

I am sure there are no drone specific fees, but they have a deposit requirement on some electronics and other stuff to discourage local resale. I suspect that it is a 50-50 shot whether you get bitten by it or not.

I have written their US Consulate for more information. I have the Edwards authorization letter, but if the deposit is a thing, I won't be bringing mine.

Hey sberfield,

yeah i see - when do you go?

If it's anything like the countries I've traveled ... the "Fees" are ways Custom Agents make extra money. According to one video I saw on YouTube, the traveler under quoted the value of their drone to just about $40, and got away with a 15 dollar entrance fee.

I've traveled to other countries and have been shaken down for all sorts of fees ... from baggage handlers to porter helping me get a cab. It's the nature of people to get as much money as they can get from anyone willing to give it away.

I think I spent $100 just trying to get my luggage through International to Domestic in Manila back in '93 .... I was very pissed, and the following years I carried just one dollar bills instead of $10's and $20's ... got through on $12 or so. Lately, since the government's crackdown on the shakedowns ... I experience none of that anymore.

I've heard of South American destinations doing the same thing. My advice to anyone getting caught up in this, if not already prepared with a letter from their government, is to just underestimate the value tremendously and cough up a few bucks.

Remember, that in countries such as these ... they think we are all "wealthy", but they don't always really know what wealthy is.

I am probably going to leave min eat home. Too many contradictory stories and while the Bahamian Civil Aviation Authrotiy was easy to deal with, getting answers on the deposit thing is proving impossible.

Hey man, what the result?

Walked right through customs with no questions asked. Went through the Toronto airport (home airport) and they asked to see it but that was it. I ran into the signal issues because I was very close to a cell tower, but other than that no issues!

Walked right through customs with no questions asked. Went through the Toronto airport (home airport) and they asked to see it but that was it. I ran into the signal issues because I was very close to a cell tower, but other than that no issues!
You not pay any deposit?
No problems when u did fly? Anybody? Any questions?

You have a 50/50 chance as to whether the customs officers will check your bags and find it or not. If they do find it you will need a permit, and you will also need to pay the deposit. Getting the deposit back when you leave can be hit or miss. When on the ground flying, you are very likely to be approached by a security guard or police officer who will ask if you have a permit and will want to see a copy of it.

That is the latest info we can confirm regarding the Bahamas, as we have been working with a number of clients recently to get them permits and paperwork lined up. You can see more info here,

Bahamas Drone Laws | UAV Systems International

Let us know if you have any questions and we would be happy to assist!

Reactions: Dronecation
I lived in The Bahamas for 15 years and I can tell you that if you bring in a box, a tv, or anything electronic of value they think may stay in The Bahamas, they will try to collect customs duty (around 50% of the value of the item) or you have to pay a bond which you will get back when you leave. This is because there is no income tax so customs duty is their main source of income.

If you take a laptop in a Best Buy box for example, they will tax you. If you have the laptop as a personal item in your bag, they won't say a thing. If you carry a mavic drone around your shoulder, they won't say a thing. However, if you have a Phantom in a large hard shell box, they will think its expensive equipment that may stay in The Bahamas for a Bahamian and will tax it or you have to have it bonded. Even if you have it bonded, believe it or not, it actually works but it's a pain in the *** because you have to get to airport like 5 hours early because maybe the guy who is authorized to release it, is out on a 2 hour lunch date with his sweetheart. That could also prove difficult on an 8 am flight, when nobody is at customs at 6am when you check in. You also don't want to look or act Bahamian (black or white) or travel with Bahamians when you go through customs, as they will search them more as they think (correctly) that maybe you were shopping for expensive items in Miami. If you do travel with Bahamians, go through customs separately and show your non-Bahamian passport through customs, even though you don't actually need it there, only at Immigration. Do not declare the item, unless you are ready to have it taxed or bonded.

Reactions: 28mm
Guys, I live it the Caribbean. Yes, we pay a lot of import duty. Cars indeed carry up to 70% duty, rest of stuff is normally 40%. But...... no income tax, no state tax, no federal tax, no annual property tax and no winter clothes!!!!!
except for 12% vat

I lived in The Bahamas for 15 years and I can tell you that if you bring in a box, a tv, or anything electronic of value they think may stay in The Bahamas, they will try to collect customs duty (around 50% of the value of the item) or you have to pay a bond which you will get back when you leave. This is because there is no income tax so customs duty is their main source of income.

That has also been my experience. The typical immigration/customs form has a box on it that asks if you have any dutiable items and lists some examples like Electronics etc. other countries specify a value on the amount of goods that are allowed in duty free. You can always tick NO and have a good chance of getting through, but they will still check random people and if you get caught you will at best have to pay the customs duty (at that point you can forget getting a bond) and at worst if it's some person who has had a bad day they will charge you with breaching the customs laws by lying on the form. That will end up costing you your drone plus a fine that is sometimes 150-200% of the value of the item.

Here is the form for the Bahamas.
https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documents/CUST_C17.pdf

BTW don't even think of bringing one to Jamaica right now because they have a state of emergency going on in Tourist capital of Montego Bay and all drone flights are prohibited until it is lifted in September or October.

I am not trying to be negative or a downer but I do travel a lot and have lived abroad in the Caribbean and my advice is not to lie on the form. In most cases if there are long lines they will not even look at the paper properly and you will get in without a problem. Worst case they will inspect your bag and in my experience they will ask for a value. Please note that they always seem to use Amazon to double check it if the value sounds too low.

Does anyone have any updates on bringing drones into The Bahamas? I'm planning a trip in December 2018 and trying to figure out if I can bring a Mavic Air without paying a fee. I also have the option of bringing a smaller 7" quad with an FrSky QX7 transmitter.

Any updates or help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
IAMA seasoned traveler who has taken lots of gear around the world professionally and for recreation.

This is VERY typical in any country with high import duties on certain product. We Americans typically think of travel to Western Europe but you'll see this throughout the former Soviet bloc, South America, and the Middle East, and Africa.

When traveling with high value goods that are likely to be illegally resold locally, customs wants to ensure that any property that enters with you leaves with you.

Consider if a carnet (no endorsement of any company or service implied in this link) is appropriate for your gear:

What is a Carnet? | ATA Carnet

I've seen this with motorcycles, camera gear, etc. Now I have little experience with Bermuda officials, but in most cases, I've experienced slow and officious service, but not outright larceny. In some cultures, especially if you are asking for a favor, it might help to offer a SMALL gift for expeditiously processing your paperwork. In some cases that gift can just be effusive thanks and not a bribe. In most others, the best thing is to be honest, straightforward, and not not be act like you're a superior prick and not convey that they're all corrupt and trying to rip you off. That is the NUMBER ONE way to screw yourself in customs.

Don't confuse your ignorance of their procedures or your expectations for instant service for theft or corruption and you'll have a much better world traveler experience.

Do your homework before traveling (like you did here!) with lots of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The website you linked to charges $235 for a carnet. Not much of a bargain.

Here's the response I got last week:

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:43 AM
To: John Sims <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Respectfully Request Permission to fly my personal Drone in Bimini Airspace

Mr. SXXX,

The Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority online registration platform is designated for citizens and permanent residents of The Bahamas only, the registration certificate that you got will not be acceptable.

Visitors are required to secure an authorization for the import and use of their drone while in The Bahamas, however we need to receive your request at least a week in advance in order to have sufficient time for processing because of the workload in the office. I'm sorry that we are unable to give action to your request as it is too close to the time of your arrival.

If you need the assistance of the BCAA in the future do not hesitate to call.

Regards,
Gregory Edwards
Aviation Safety Inspector
Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority
2nd Floor J.L Center Bldg , Blake Rd
Nassau, Bahamas
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 1-242-397-4700 Ext 4760

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM, John SXXX<[email protected]> wrote:

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Thank you for the time to respond in advance. I am traveling early tomorrow morning by small vessel from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Bimini and would respectfully request permission from the appropriate authorities to bring my personal drone into the Country for photographing my fishing trip and short stay in Bimini since this is my first time in Bimini, even though I have been to every other island in the Bahamas in the recent past photographing the islands while representing the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.

I realize that this is a late notice and request, however your support would be extremely appreciated. Attached is my current Drone Certificate of Registration and authorization from the Bahamas Department of Civil Aviation-Flight Standards Inspectorate in addition to my United States Federal Aviation Administration Drone Registration and license.

My stay in Bimini will be from 0900 Hours on August 10th 2018 until 2100 hours on August 12th, 2018. All flights conducted will be for personal use, and not for commercial monetary gain.

I am well versed in the Bahamas Airspace Regulations and Bahamas Civil Aviation Drone flight requirements, and I currently hold a US Federal Aviation Administration Part 107 Airman Certificate Pilot License (Attached hereto).

Please advise me as soon as possible regarding this request and any other requirements to fully comply with the local laws of your Country. In addition, my US passport is current.

Best Regards,

John SXXX

So, I guess their registration system is flawed...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead