DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

500ft radio towers

Its the one thing that worries me in BKK, masts are just about stuck everywhere, every building or skyscraper seems to have a whole array of different masts and antenna's, They just seem to erect them anywhere and everywhere (a bit like a lads night out in Nana plaza).

If u fly in BKk add a lot of extra height on your RTH coz some of them you cant see and are far higher than the building itself.

I can't speak to the power of the array mentioned by the OP, but I flew a P2 within 20 ft of the array seen below, with no problems whatsoever (see 0:25). Two radio stations broadcasts from this array, in addition to all of the major cell carriers and it handles all radio traffic for the headquarters of CalFire, here in Northern California. I'll be back up there flying this tower with my Mav this summer.

Last edited:
I can tell you first hand. I use a Phantom for structural inspections of bolted connections on Cell towers. Direct Tension Indicator (DTI) washers are used so I only need to get close enough to get good zoom resolution back on the ground. These inspections are only done during maintenance or modification cycles and therefore the towers are essentially "off" during the flights. That being said, a Cell tower is very very low powered as opposed to the 50, 80, or 100,000 watts coming off of radio transmission towers. These towers often utilize the same radio amplifiers used on the EA-6 Intruder (designed to scrambled electronics, literally). My advise is to steer clear without written permission and assurance that the tower is "off".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming