DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

777 Captain Crashes Mav

Should you let family members fly your Mav?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mavmatic

Reactions
My brother, yes, a triple 7 Captain Crashed my drone! Mo Fo flew it right into a tree! Camera and Gimbal just hangs on by the wires now.
DJI care was purchased with drone. Mailing it out Monday or Tuesday
Son of a *****!!!!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-05-26_[11-36-03].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Yoshidazo
This actually doesn't surprise me much. I was big in RC planes and helicopters for a while and full scale pilots always had the most difficult time with learning to fly RC planes. It's a very different perspective/skill set for them.

Reactions: hychewright
I guess he should have flown in fixed wing mode. Sorry for your loss. It was a no for me. I might let others family members fly it. But MY family.... NO!!:p

This actually doesn't surprise me much. I was big in RC planes and helicopters for a while and full scale pilots always had the most difficult time with learning to fly RC planes. It's a very different perspective/skill set for them.
I agree.

Unless I'm holding their checkbook as collateral, no. So I voted no.

I like to share my Mavic with anyone who is interested in learning to fly, and I also demo used birds to people using the following method. I have 2 controllers, and fly in master-slave mode, so if they get into too much trouble, TD wont let them crash it. The master controller will instantly override the slaves commands just by inputting a command from the master controller.

I have taught dozens of people to fly for many years, and DJI's answer to the "buddy box" is great. Just pair 2 controllers to your Mav, you control the master, and let your friend or family fly the slave controller. If they buy it and want to fly alone, I just make sure they either have AMA or a homeowners policy for liability purposes before I take them out flying.

This is a great way to teach kids, your significant other, or a potential buyer about the Mavic. I always keep in the back of my mind that since I am the pilot in command, I am responsible for any damage caused to the Mavic or any other property or people regardless if Im flying it or the slave controller is flying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drope and Turnerm
My brother, yes, a triple 7 Captain Crashed my drone! Mo Fo flew it right into a tree! Camera and Gimbal just hangs on by the wires now.
DJI care was purchased with drone. Mailing it out Monday or Tuesday
Son of a *****!!!!
You must have been a Naval jet pilot before your present occupation. Sorry for your accident. What were you thinking when flying like a Blue Angel? jajaja

During my 45 + years of flying RC, I have taught quite a few new flyers both in power and gliders. I have had really good experiences with most all of the newbies but I must admit, that several "real" pilots of full scale aircraft were the very worst and hardest to teach. They had a super hard time transitioning from full sized to RC and the biggest problem was the connection between their brain and their butts.
The entire concept of flying "by the seat of your pants" is missing in RC. They are waiting for their body to tell them what the aircraft is doing whereas in RC it is 100% eye-hand coordination. These "pilots" were always way behind the aircraft and could not keep up with it. Eventually they got it but it took a while to retrain them from the real to the RC world or flying.

Reactions: Turnerm
Flying a real aircraft isn't like flying a drone. I'm not a real pilot and i'd say that flying a jet is probably way harder but the controls aren't the same as a drone so just because you're a pilot you still have to learn to control the drone. So no I wouldn't let people with no experience fly my drones.

Nope, unless it's high up in the air already or the person has RC experience. Only one family member qualifies, and he has way more experience than me.

During my 45 + years of flying RC, I have taught quite a few new flyers both in power and gliders. I have had really good experiences with most all of the newbies but I must admit, that several "real" pilots of full scale aircraft were the very worst and hardest to teach. They had a super hard time transitioning from full sized to RC and the biggest problem was the connection between their brain and their butts.
The entire concept of flying "by the seat of your pants" is missing in RC. They are waiting for their body to tell them what the aircraft is doing whereas in RC it is 100% eye-hand coordination. These "pilots" were always way behind the aircraft and could not keep up with it. Eventually they got it but it took a while to retrain them from the real to the RC world or flying.

Great job explaining this! [emoji1303]

To be fair to my bro, I am also an airline pilot. He just gives me **** Bc he flies a bigger aircraft than me.

I retired as a captain on the 777 and had no problems, with one minor issue.
When you fly everything from Navy fighters off aircraft carriers through a 32 year career as an airline pilot, the fact that pushing forward on a control makes the airplane go down, and pulling back on it makes the airplane go up, it takes a couple times to get used to the opposite being true.
Other than that, remotely controlling this little thing wasn't difficult to learn at all.

Reactions: Former Member
99% of my family,NO!
My 11 year old son ,Yes
He is still a child and is more dareing than I like, but his experience with other drones and yard quads ,and the **** eating grin it gives him makes it all worth it!!!

When you fly everything from Navy fighters off aircraft carriers through a 32 year career as an airline pilot, the fact that pushing forward on a control makes the airplane go down, and pulling back on it makes the airplane go up

Thats true unless you started out inverted, which Im sure you did plenty of in the Navy. I dont think triple 7's can do that though Im sure a few captains wanted to try it.

When you're inside pulling always makes the nose go up with regards to you, which is what makes all the difference.

Also no for me, unless it's with the aforementioned dual remote setup.

Reactions: Former Member
When you're inside pulling always makes the nose go up with regards to you, which is what makes all the difference.

Also no for me, unless it's with the aforementioned dual remote setup.

It always makes the nose go up relative to the pilot, but not necessarily the aircraft lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro