DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Abandoned and rotting wind turbines near Livermore, CA

Evmoius

Reactions

Happy New Year Everyone!

This was a challenging shoot as I was dodging rain clouds and dealing with less than ideal lighting conditions. I also had to be extra careful as the amount of hard to see hazards in this area were many.

Some info: The Patterson Pass Wind Project was built in 1985 by EDF Renewables. At it's peak it generated 20.50 MW of power and was in operation until 2014 when it was shut down and abandoned.

Last edited:
That was really a nice video clip an just enough emotion to carry the message over.

The dangerous wind power plant is surrounded by fencing, warning signs, and locked gates. Deadly high voltage electric lines run under foot and over head. Windmills can be seen lining the hills in the distance.

There claiming all this was the cause of fires ?

Gear to fly in the Rain.

Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
Reactions: ZippyDue
Fantastic video...I just can't believe they just left that mess behind
Thanks! Apparently very common with these early wind farms that went in during the 70s and 80s. They were flush with government cash due to the energy crisis and didn't need to include a plan for demolition in their proposals.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That was really a nice video clip an just enough emotion to carry the message over.

The dangerous wind power plant is surrounded by fencing, warning signs, and locked gates. Deadly high voltage electric lines run under foot and over head. Windmills can be seen lining the hills in the distance.

There claiming all this was the cause of fires ?

Gear to fly in the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Thank you!

Happy New Year Everyone!

This was a challenging shoot as I was dodging rain clouds and dealing with less than ideal lighting conditions. I also had to be extra careful as the amount of hard to see hazards in this area were many.

Some info: The Patterson Pass Wind Project was built in 1985 by EDF Renewables. At it's peak it generated 20.50 MW of power and was in operation until 2014 when it was shut down and abandoned.
US answer to global climate change. Rotting wind mills and lack of charge stations for electric cars

US answer to global climate change. Rotting wind mills and lack of charge stations for electric cars
To be fair, these operated for almost 30 years before they were decommisioned. Also, this area is packed with modern wind turbines that dwarf these older ones in size and power output.

That area had some interesting wind turbine experiments as well, from giant egg beater style ones to a conveyor belt style line of triangular sails stretching between two big cylindrical drums. They didn’t last long though and ended up crushed on the ground.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Excellent capture - fascinating........ will these machines be removed and who assumes that responsibility? Thanks for sharing - terrific presentation.....

"Green energy..." 🙄

Reactions: ZippyDue
Thanks! Apparently very common with these early wind farms that went in during the 70s and 80s. They were flush with government cash due to the energy crisis and didn't need to include a plan for demolition in their proposals.
"Green energy..." 🙄

Coal-fired power plants - ash piles, airborne particulates, CO2 emissions, ...
Hydroelectric dams - river systems turned into lakes with fluctuating levels, salmon spawning blocked, ...
Nuclear power plants - spent waste handling system never created, all waste stored onsite

Reactions: Rchawks
Thanks for posting. I hope the regulators who approve new power generating equipment have to watch this. We DO need more power generation capacity if we are going to electrify every aspect of our lives, but some of those immense piles of money doled out to build these facilities have to understand that they will eventually turn into dangerous eyesores and require that some of that money be put away to cover the cost of removal and remediation.

Thanks for posting. I hope the regulators who approve new power generating equipment have to watch this. We DO need more power generation capacity if we are going to electrify every aspect of our lives, but some of those immense piles of money doled out to build these facilities have to understand that they will eventually turn into dangerous eyesores and require that some of that money be put away to cover the cost of removal and remediation.
Agreed. For all power generating facilities.

A combination of failures:’ why 3.6m pounds of nuclear waste is buried on a popular California beach

Reactions: Rchawks
Coal-fired power plants - ash piles, airborne particulates, CO2 emissions, ...
Hydroelectric dams - river systems turned into lakes with fluctuating levels, salmon spawning blocked, ...
Nuclear power plants - spent waste handling system never created, all waste stored onsite
Exactly. All energy creates waste.

That area had some interesting wind turbine experiments as well, from giant egg beater style ones to a conveyor belt style line of triangular sails stretching between two big cylindrical drums. They didn’t last long though and ended up crushed on the ground.
I remember the egg beaters!

1:20 mark looks very similar to my near miss! Though you probably had control of yours LOL

1:20 mark looks very similar to my near miss! Though you probably had control of yours LOL

Hah! Yeah that was close. For that shot I descended right over the top before raising the camera, backing up, and doing the fly over.

Exactly. All energy creates waste.
Not only that, but they still have to use the energy they want to eliminate in order to manufacture the parts used to build them Ya can't make them out of air.
Energy production is going to create harmful emissions no matter what method is being used.

Last edited:
Not only that, but they still have to use the energy they want to eliminate in order to manufacture the parts used to build them Ya can't make them out of air.
Energy production is going to create harmful emissions no matter what method is being used.
Yeah, it's funny that they don't put pictures of lithium mines in the marketing materials for EVs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne