DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to order a Mavic

Rancher

Reactions
Hello Im new here and have never flown a drone. I will be using a drone for checking pastures and other agriculture purposes. The Mavic looks like the best fit for my uses mainly it is small and can be carried easily on a horse. I guess I'm just looking for any pointers on where to put an order in on one. And does the drone need cell service in order to work. As you can see I know absolutely knowing so thanks in advance.

Hello Im new here and have never flown a drone. I will be using a drone for checking pastures and other agriculture purposes. The Mavic looks like the best fit for my uses mainly it is small and can be carried easily on a horse. I guess I'm just looking for any pointers on where to put an order in on one. And does the drone need cell service in order to work. As you can see I know absolutely knowing so thanks in advance.

You could start by calling your local Best Buy, Apple store, & DJI dealers in your area. If no luck then you can order on line from one of those or direct from DJI. Someone posted today that the backorder for the drone has filled so your order should ship from DJI within a week.

The drone doesn't need cell service but you'll need a phone or tablet. Here's a list of devices that some have used without problems.. UPDATE 2: iPad Mini 3 and similar. More Phones: Top 11 2016 Smartphones That Will Work With Mavic Pro

Reactions: Jayfly
Hey rancher, the unit does not need a cell connection to work. It needs a view of the sky for GPS lock. As for where to find one, there are hundreds of discussions on that going back to September however in the end, if you can wait a couple of weeks, I would suggest you order directly at www.dji.com where there is no tax and shipping is free. Take note about the DJI refresh package. It costs 99 dollars but must be purchased within two days of registering your drone. It gives you two (almost free) replacement/repairs with the first one being 99 dollars (if you plonk it in any way) and the second time you sent it in it is another 179 (or something like that) to get it back beautiful again. I have about 45 flights on my Mavic and I would say for what you are looking to do, this unit will blow you away. It has tremendous flight autonomy (stability/positioning) so anyone can fly it, a very forgiving beginner mode, tremendous range and beautiful video.

It is my first drone and I stumbled into it back in late September after seeing a guy flying one in Iceland over Geyser and knew I needed a drone ! I found the Mavic and was just lucky as, for the money, it is incredible. Lots of case options including hard cases and knapsacks (great for horseback).

Before flying this one, I had never flown a drone ( flew R/C helos for years but not much relationship at all between them ) and was comfortable within a good day of flying to start to move out and beyond.

Hope this helps.

After you get the Mavic strongly consider purchasing the Lichti app for your application. You can set way points that can be flown autonomously over and over again. That way you can determine the route that you want to monitor in the pastures and then fly that over and over again using the exact same route without having to manually fly it every time.

You can then compare the exact same footage from different days, weeks, months, and seasons.

The Mavic is used with the DJI app called DJI Go or DJI Go 4 by default and it will do way points as well natively, but one must fly the route first to record the way points.

Thank you all for the insight. Much appreciated. I look forward to joining you all in this forum and excited about getting one. I believe it will be a good asset.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy