DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Above the clouds

No, as an airplane pilot, I can't enjoy it.

It does look like you were well over 400 feet AGL in in some part of the video.

Do you know how hard it is to see a Mavic when we are flying!!??

No, as an airplane pilot, I can't enjoy it.

It does look like you were well over 400 feet AGL in in some part of the video.

Do you know how hard it is to see a Mavic when we are flying!!??
Yes -- I'm a pilot too (2/4-seaters, VFR, was working on my IFR decades ago and quit when it got too expensive for a hobby).

If a manned aircraft were to appear where I was, I'd want to know what the hell he was doing below 1000' AGL in a mountainous, partially cloudy area.

Understand that it is certainly possible for people to plan ahead, take appropriate precautions, and fly safely.

In my particular situation, I'm very lucky... I happen to live right under the main approach path for San Jose Intl., 25 miles away. Because of this, nothing flies between ground and about 5,000' around here, with the exception of emergency services and rarely law enforcement. Unlike a flat plain with agriculture and other use, there's really no compelling reason to fly a small plane in these mountains and canyons. However, it's a camera drone pilot's dream.

So that's it?

You live somewhere around Morgan Hill, so it is OK to break regulations like the 400' rule and LOS? After all, there shouldn't be much traffic in that corridor by your own admission right?

Were you the guy who flew by the right wingtip of a 172 I was renting once at 3500'?

After all, what's the worst that can happen!?

...And we wonder why we have less and less places to fly with our drones... Sigh.

Reactions: Prop_Nut
Looks like you barely got off the ground before you were in the clouds.
I thought your video was amazing. Loved it.
When I look through the clouds i can see the houses It doesn't look that high to me.
Like the dogs running around on the deck too.
Hope to have footage like that someday.

Reactions: Mavman
So that's it?

You live somewhere around Morgan Hill, so it is OK to break regulations like the 400' rule and LOS? After all, there shouldn't be much traffic in that corridor by your own admission right?

Were you the guy who flew by the right wingtip of a 172 I was renting once at 3500'?

After all, what's the worst that can happen!?

...And we wonder why we have less and less places to fly with our drones... Sigh.

He wouldn't be able to reach 3500' AGL with a mavic.

True. But that's not the point is it?

Anyway, I give up. You guys continue to fly out of line of sight, at night, over 400', over the clouds, you name it! It's a free country!...:)

Heck when you took off there were literally clouds on the horizon. Cool video and your neighbor has a nice pool.

Heck when you took off there were literally clouds on the horizon. Cool video and your neighbor has a nice pool.

Agree, clouds were already in the trees on the hill. Amazing views. Looks like nice set of solar panels as well on neighbors house!

Reactions: vertigo235
As a non commercial airplane pilot, I'm stoked to see it.

People make believe that the skies are filled with these little ******** and they'll have to take evasive action every time they turn around. That's simply not the case. The odds of a strike are still in the fractions of a fraction of a percent. You've got a much greater chance of being struck by lightning twice, or being killed during the car ride to the airport before you'd experience a drone strike by some random guy flying 1000' AGL out in the boonies.

400' is a recommendation, not a rule, not a law. Therefore, you can freely exceed that imaginary limit whenever you please, barring entry into controlled airspace.

Like the video. Hoping for some low clouds I can play with too, but it's been hot and sunny, or severe thunderstorming....with no in-between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rabid Machina
Haha, like the music...fly like a bird dont no where my drone is. Anybody hear that too?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d