DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track multiple subjects

The Real Jester

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

I’m curious as to how many subjects Active Track can handle at the?
We ride bikes and I want to make sure I get everyone in the frame, I could just move it further away, but better if the drone keeps everyone in.

How would you propose it could track more than one?
If it can track a group or one individual in a group, which might be possible, what happens if the group splits up or stretches out? Or the tracked individual gets masked by someone else?

My suggestion would be, test it ......... in a safe place.

Though, thinking about days gone by when I have ridden as part of a bunch, I was far too busy watching the road and where I was in relation to the others to be concerned about a drone.
Extending that ..... this might be quite risky because, if the drone distracts you and possibly others, Sod's law dictates that that is when something would go wrong within the group and you may end up in a pile up

Sod's law dictates that that is when something would go wrong within the group and you may end up in a pile up
I saw a video of a bike race that ended just like that- The drone pilot flew into the back of the race leaders head. Every bike behind him made a huge pile on top of him SO Tragic (and a little funny) BUT seriously: Maybe Brief the groups "leader" or the one that stays up front and follow that person. With zoom you could be a somewhat safe distance and still get all the bikers I would think.

The way I understand it, you can select from which direction the drone is following the subject, front, back, sideways. If you select from the rear so that it is following the group, and the subject rider stays in the back of the group and slightly away from the other riders for tracking, I would think you would eliminate the risk of the drone running into any of the other riders. This would also allow you to stop without effecting the other riders when you need to adjust or bring down the drone. If you are in front or in the middle of the group then you have the problem of concentration and effecting the safety of the others in the group. IMO.

If its just a bike ride, not a race, and you have some control of the group, just pick someone that will stay in the middle of the group, preferably someone with a high contrast shirt / jersey / jacket.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR