DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Addiction at it's finest! Looking for others input!

awaka_

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello All,
I am curious as to how many drones you guys have, what is your favorite one, and what is your least favorite and why?
I'll be going first but first I would like to share why I even got into the hobby.

Around 2 or so years ago, my father gave me a call and said he was buying a drone from a fellow off of facebook marketplace and I couldn't be left out of the fun so I had to get one as well. I purchased a mavic pro fly more combo and didn't say anything. Later on that day, my father came over to my house with his, a Phantom 3 standard, I let him have his fun and then decided to show him the mavic. Needless to say we were both baffled at everything the drone could do, especially the range! He sold the phantom and we drove 2 hours out of town where he purchased a platinum. It was fun for awhile flying back and forth to each others houses and sending pics of us walking in our yard not knowing the other was watching from above and all, but it soon all faded out and the new wore off of them. I got into long distance flying, software modifying, and amplified antenna setups for a bit, but the new wore off of that after my first flight was a success. Back in the box it goes for another 2 months, Right? Wrong, a week or so passes by and my father calls me and informs me about a missing person whos mother was on the news crying for anyone to help find her son. The young mans name is Kevin Bass, out of Milledgeville, Ga. My father got into contact with the family and we purchased a tent, table, and 2 chairs to keep us comfortable and we FLEW, and we FLEW, and we FLEW some more trying to locate this man to bring his mother closure. We looked on foot, we talked to the local chief of police about his phone pings, and I did as much research as I could of this guy and his social media accounts to try and get an idea of where he might have went to in that dark day that was his last. This consumed our lives for a year, my father and I put in tons of effort to try and find him, but we failed.

Needless to say we both felt as if we didn't have the proper equipment to do these types of things, as he had a platinum and I had a mavic pro, but we still tried. I have made it a mission to be able to have far superior equipment than we did before, and I feel confident if I had half of the equipment I have now, I would have been able to find him.

This experience is what made this a hobby for me. I am always wheeling and dealing with drones trying to upgrade to the next biggest thing and have met some great people along the way. I have also made some pretty great memories with my father during this time, and that is what matters most to me!

Enough of the background, let's get to the discussion!

MY FAVORITE= AIR2S
for the price of this drone and its camera size and 8.5x zoom capability it is Arguably the BEST! , It didn't come out in beta like the m3, and I can't really find anything bad to say about it, it is a great and versatile drone!

LEAST FAVORITE= Mavic 2 zoom
with the release of the air2s, I feel like DJI killed out the 2 zoom. Still does the job fine and has the optical zoom don't get me wrong! I have no complaints, but if I were to do it over again I wouldn't have purchased one over the air2 or air 2s.

I collect them, buy them, sell them, look at them, and sometimes even talk to them when the wife puts me in the doghouse!
Check out the UNICORN spark! it will be sitting next to a couple of alpine white mavic pros here in the future!

Attachments

• DSC04594-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    DSC04594-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC04595-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    DSC04595-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC04596-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    DSC04596-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04597-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    DSC04597-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04600-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    DSC04600-For Email (Hard Drive)-2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59
Hi awaka, I have a P4PV2, P4PA+, MPP and my Mini2. Recently gave my grand daughter the MM. I can’t play favourites as I enjoy them all. I would say that the Mini 2 is ahead ever so slightly because of how quickly I can get it in the air.
Regards

You definitely have a huge doghouse!! I only have a P4P and Mavic Pro. P4P giving me some problems, so might move to the Air2. The 2S would be perfect, but cannot justify for occasional flying.
I currently am looking to get rid of mine! watch the classifieds for the listing I will be posting sometime today!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Around 2000 or so I started purchasing a handful of toy (JUNK!) drones from Radio Shack, Walmart, Target, etc and just became so thoroughly disappointed in their performance that I hung up the hobby for over a decade. September 2021 and an ad for a DJI Air 2S popped up somewhere so I bought one. I was HOOKED! Next came a DJI Mini 2, then a Holy Stone HS720E (CRAP), a Mavic Mini, DJI Ryze Tello (I used to work for Intel Corp), and then the Mavic 3 here a couple months ago. I also picked up the DJI RC Pro. I’m like a cheating whore now, my eyes are ALWAYS wandering!!

Refreshing how scold-free this thread has been Thumbswayup

My Sqaudron consists of a P3, M1 pro, Air, Air 2, Air 2s, Mini 2, FPV, Tello, Parrot Mambo (the little pea shooter attachment is fun), a dozen or so different nano quads and hexes, some with cameras.

Unless you get the idea I'm wealthier than I am, much of that was dealing... for example, MA2S was private sale, aircraft only. Use the A2 controller.

I love this hobby. This is my 8th year.

awaka_ this was a great read! It embodies family, compassion and your relentless SAR efforts for over a year! This truly gave me the goosies . . .

That effort inspired you to upgrade to the latest equipment (simply) so you would not fail at SAR in the future speaks to the integrity coming out of your family; we applaud you . . . every one of us.

That is an impressive fleet. My M3 and Air2s are so new that I haven't formulated an opinion yet (however they have solidified 3rd place for my M2P). My response is more geared to the outstanding human being you (and your dad) have become 😉‼️

Refreshing how scold-free this thread has been Thumbswayup

My Sqaudron consists of a P3, M1 pro, Air, Air 2, Air 2s, Mini 2, FPV, Tello, Parrot Mambo (the little pea shooter attachment is fun), a dozen or so different nano quads and hexes, some with cameras.

Unless you get the idea I'm wealthier than I am, much of that was dealing... for example, MA2S was private sale, aircraft only. Use the A2 controller.

I love this hobby. This is my 8th year.
Couldn't have said it any better! It's all about the experience, meeting new people, and creating friendships while doing this. I got everything I have the same exact way. Only drone in that bundle that was purchased new is my M3. The rest comes from dealing.

awaka_ this was a great read! It embodies family, compassion and your relentless SAR efforts for over a year! This truly gave me the goosies . . .

That effort inspired you to upgrade to the latest equipment (simply) so you would not fail at SAR in the future speaks to the integrity coming out of your family; we applaud you . . . every one of us.

That is an impressive fleet. My M3 and Air2s are so new that I haven't formulated an opinion yet (however they have solidified 3rd place for my M2P). My response is more geared to the outstanding human being you (and your dad) have become 😉‼️
Thanks for the kind words brother! It has been instilled in me to help others when I can. There would be no better high than to know that you were able to play a major role bringing a family closure. We have since assisted in one other case with Project Drew out of Augusta, Ga. Two males who couldn't swim were pushed off of a boat and we were asked to come fly to help the local police and dive team there locate their bodies. After a days worth of flying the dive team was able to locate them, the water was too cold for their bodies to come back up and float.

Another very impressive thing that you or anyone else here could search that I would highly recommend would be the Facebook Group " Wings Of Mercy "
These guys are great and can review footage and pinpoint a single color, they have found several people who went "Missing" and last time I checked were working hand in hand with DJI to incorporate a way for others to use the program.
We got in touch with these guys but unfortunately we never received a definite answer as to what exactly Kevin was wearing the day he walked into the woods, and phone pings only gave us a 6.5 mile radius in some very rough terrain.

Another very impressive thing that you or anyone else here could search that I would highly recommend would be the Facebook Group " Wings Of Mercy "
I'm going over to FB right now . . . thank you brother!

Reactions: awaka_
I've got two drones. An Air2 which does photography and scouting, an a DJI FPV for all the fun stuff. I'm about to put together a 5 inch kwad in order to practice FPV without disintegrating the drone on every crash.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have the same 2 as @Korrd , MA2 and FPV. I've thought about a custom FPV but am not currently pursuing that route. I don't really care too much about Freestyle flying, I just like to get up in the air and fly. Use the MA2 for photo purposes and the FPV for thrill purposes.

I'm going the freestyle way instead. I got bored of flying slow and cinematic. I now wanna shot to thrill

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_