DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aerodrome Traffic Zone Uk

msg

Reactions
Hey guys
So I've been thinking of a drone for a while now, and have come across a good deal online. On checking DroneAssist here in the UK, I live in an Aerodrome Traffic Zone, near Glasgow Airport.

I stay near Houston, which is outwith the inner and outer Flight Restriction Zones.

So is it ok to fly under the dronesafe regulations? If I got either a Mavic Air or a Mavic Pro Platinum would it even take off in these areas?

I have no intention of upsetting anybody preferably and ultimately would like to become a qualified drone pilot

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181225-221746.png
    Screenshot_20181225-221746.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
Firstly, welcome to the forum, and +1 for being responsible enough for doing your homework before purchase.

Legally you'd be fine to fly around Houston as far as the CAA's airfield proximity restrictions go, as you just need to be more than 1km from the airfield, indicated by the larger of the two airfield shapes on the screenshot. What DroneAssist is telling you is that you need to fly with a little more caution due to the higher number of aircraft in the area as there may be flightpaths directly overhead.

Be aware that aircraft on approach/departure can be below the 400ft ceiling of a drone some way beyond the 1km boundary (out to almost 3km!), so it's worth being aware of where the flightpaths are and giving them a wide berth. For most no flyzones like Glasgow airport, DJI Go will also warn you if you attempt to take off within a high-risk zone (which you can then override, taking responsibility for your flight) and prohibit take-off within the 1km boundary.

Ultimately, and regardless of proximity to any airfields, buildings, people, etc. all drone flights are your responsibility to ensure they are flown safely and legally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c