DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aerodynamics

Honestly I didnt read through all these post so forgive me if a later one stated this but I believe Aerodynamics of this would be more of the downward flow of air the props are producing. Let the wind blow down easier and hovering would be more energy efficient. Not head on aerodynamics.
I understood that, meant no criticism and you're just using your noodle to try and improve things. I just don't think there's much improvement to be had--nor do I see the need. If it's flight time you want, buy another battery or two.... I have four and am thinking about at least one more. :D

Reactions: Attex
I don't think you are going to be able to balance these blades without a lot of work, the blades are riveted individually to the hub, so no disassembly. Due to the design good luck getting them straight enough to static balance, and dynamic balancing is not possible. In the Army we had trim tabs on the tip of each blade to do a vertical trim to get both blades swinging in the same arch, but with the short throw of these it's not needed. After inspecting my blades in a strong magnifying glass it seems there is very little to sand, just a tiny mold line, I am thinking you would not help much by sanding it. And talking about this drone doing 100mph is nonsense, neither the battery nor the motors will support that. If you want to go that fast you bought the wrong drone.

What did you do in the Army? I was 67Y.

At first glance, I can see why someone would think that aerodynamics would improve the performance of the Mavic, but after thinking about it, I'm not so sure!
I'm no expert, but have you seen what drone racers look like, they are some of the ugliest and un-aerodynamic looking beasts ever to fly, but there's no doubting their ability and speed?
Any additions to the Mavic would add weight (and we all know what that does?) they would have to be super light and aerodynamic to gain any net benefits, of course........it might LOOK faster though!
Prop modifications on the other hand, does sound like a good idea, and I look forward to hearing the verdict from those that try it, still waiting for my Mavic, and putting all this great advice to good work!

PS. Just read above about the 30deg angle used for max forward flying speed, maybe dji limits to this as the camera gimble can only do 30deg up for a level picture? (just thinking aloud here!)

Last edited:
At first glance, I can see why someone would think that aerodynamics would improve the performance of the Mavic, but after thinking about it, I'm not so sure!
I'm no expert, but have you seen what drone racers look like, they are some of the ugliest and un-aerodynamic looking beasts ever to fly, but there's no doubting their ability and speed?
Any additions to the Mavic would add weight (and we all know what that does?) they would have to be super light and aerodynamic to gain any net benefits, of course........it might LOOK faster though!
Prop modifications on the other hand, does sound like a good idea, and I look forward to hearing the verdict from those that try it, still waiting for my Mavic, and putting all this great advice to good work!

PS. Just read above about the 30deg angle used for max forward flying speed, maybe dji limits to this as the camera gimble can only do 30deg up for a level picture? (just thinking aloud here!)
Good point about the camera. I'm sure everything was optimized to accommodate the camera in that position. You might have to travel backwards for a view without props and fuselage in the video. Of course, traveling backwards at very high speed watching FPV of where you've been sounds like a crash waiting to happen.

Reactions: Rangerdave
It doesn't flight straight though so it would be a funny assed looking drone and not fully aerodynamic based on your pitch plus if you make it aerodynamic going forwards it won't work when turning, spinning or going backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Rangerdave
NASA's Supercomputers Reveal The Incredible Turbulence Produced By A Drone
The video is interesting for looking at turbulence.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." Heisenberg, Werner (1901-1976)

Hence why all quads can't fly without some electronic 3 axis gyros at minimum. Saw a post on phantom forum where a chap had changed the max forward attack of his parrot to 45 degrees and clocked 60 mph. Even with mine having 30 degrees of upward tilt of the gimbal I still get messages saying max gimbal limit reached or similar. If the angle of attack was increased or the motors tilted forward we'd get much more speed.
That said the design of the bird having the rear blades lower that the front at rest is a design to angle the body with the props level in hovering and forward motion, if that's a kind of way to tilt the axis forward as it is..?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so most of us either have or soon will have our mavics...
It should be pretty clear to anyone that has ever built a model airplane, or has seen a helicopter, or just even looked at a bird that this thing, wonderful as it is, has terrible aerodynamics.

It seems to me that the first and most obvious clean up is going to be to the propellers. Run your finger down the leading edge, and you can feel a small but noticeable ridge, presumably where the mold separates. That ridge is in a critical spot. I'm going to try some wet 500 grit paper and see if I can't clean up a set. Of course, rebalancing them will be necessary.

And then there is the leading edge of the drone itself. It looks like the carapace of a crab maybe. What I think we need is a protruding plastic dome with a NACA vent to feed the grill in front of the fan. That right there would cut an enormous source of drag in forward flight, and would look kind of badass, in my opinion. And then the rectangular sections for the legs are just huge sources of drag. I know, it's more important that it fold, but still...

Oh well. Someone will start making parts to clean up this sucker, and I will soon have a nice clean set of props.
Just my 2 cents worth and make no mistake, I'm no expert in any way. Was wondering if the flat portion of the arms directly under the props could be rounded to help improve the efficiency, maybe causing less turbulence and noise thus improving battery life.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11