DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Release date Wed. June 28?

An Air 3 with 2 cameras really??

So to summarize, compared to the Mavic 3 Classic that came out less than 6 months ago, the Air 3 will be lighter, smaller, cheaper, probably with 2 improved cameras and a new RC with an embedded screen that will correct the problems of the first one?

Is that really how DJI wants to screw Mavic 3 Classic owners?
So in other words you want the air 3 to be identical to the air2s with no improvements.Down the road the new
controllers will be compatible with the mavic 3 classic anyway.It is not DJI screwing over mavic 3 classic owners.
It is called technology improvements.The classic will still have a larger camera sensor.

I was not implying that DJI was releasing the Air 3 to help Air 2 owners. The fact that DJI appears not to be issuing a firmware update to make the Air 2 RID compliant is my point, and someone like me with a single drone - Air 2 - might be incline to replace it with an Air 3. In my mind getting the Air 3 will really depend on its specs and differences from the Air 3.

Also do you have a link to the RID module that will work with the Air 2?
The Air 3 price seems to be good as well. Anyone of the approved RID modules should work with your drone, I would check the double-check the list and go from there: UAS Declaration of Compliance

So, not tomorrow then. The Air3 would be a big launch event so there would be advertising etc if it were happening.

Reactions: DanJ
Anyone who buys the Air 3 with 2 cameras today have no rights to complain when the 3 camera Air 3 Pro comes out next year. 🤣

I mean, c'mon; fool me once. :)

Reactions: costica1234
So in other words you want the air 3 to be identical to the air2s with no improvements.Down the road the new
controllers will be compatible with the mavic 3 classic anyway.It is not DJI screwing over mavic 3 classic owners.
It is called technology improvements.The classic will still have a larger camera sensor.
I want it to be between the Air 2S and the Mavic 3 Classic, exactly as it should be knowing that the Mavic is supposed to be the flagship drone.

And no, it's not called technology improvement, it's called the call for money. I guess that the Mavic 3 Classic and Air 3 were developped at the same time. DJI knew from the beginning that these models would compete against each other. Then I don't see any other reason than making more money to justify the release of the Mavic 3 Classic a few months before the release of the Air 3 knowing that the latter would be superior in many ways.

And it's not the larger camera sensor of the Mavic that will make a difference except for pixel peepers or those who fly at dusk or dawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
I want it to be between the Air 2S and the Mavic 3 Classic, exactly as it should be knowing that the Mavic is supposed to be the flagship drone.

And no, it's not called technology improvement, it's called the call for money. I guess that the Mavic 3 Classic and Air 3 were developped at the same time. DJI knew from the beginning that these models would compete against each other. Then I don't see any other reason than making more money to justify the release of the Mavic 3 Classic a few months before the release of the Air 3 knowing that the latter would be superior in many ways.

And it's not the larger camera sensor of the Mavic that will make a difference except for pixel peepers or those who fly at dusk or dawn.
Sometimes these launching don't go exactly as planned so you really can't always go by the launch date to determine when these drones were worked on especially since we had a pandemic and a parts issue recently, etc. It's not just customers that don't appreciate sku proliferation but vendors and merchants don't like it either when being bombarded with a bunch of overlapping models and kit configuration that are confusing and hard to sell. All I can tell you is coordinating and [mis]managing the launch of different products base on "timing" in order to maximize profit is not a strategy and no professional organization would do that knowing that it simply doesn't work primarily because it does get in the way of technology. At least it doesn't work for drones. Apple doesn't do it either. They didn't launch M1 to make money knowing they had M2 waiting around the corner.

Some have accused DJI of holding back the Mavic 3 Pro by first launching the Mavic 3 regular when it should have been the other way around but they knew they wouldn't sell as many Mavic 3 drones that way so they held back the Pro and let the Mavic 3 disaster languish and torment the drone community for a year....nonsense.

Sometimes these launching don't go exactly as planned so you really can't always go by the launch date to determine when these drones were worked on especially since we had a pandemic and a parts issue recently, etc. It's not just customers that don't appreciate sku proliferation but vendors and merchants don't like it either when being bombarded with a bunch of overlapping models and kit configuration that are confusing and hard to sell. All I can tell you is coordinating and [mis]managing the launch of different products base on "timing" in order to maximize profit is not a strategy and no professional organization would do that knowing that it simply doesn't work primarily because it does get in the way of technology. At least it doesn't work for drones. Apple doesn't do it either. They didn't launch M1 to make money knowing they had M2 waiting around the corner.

Some have accused DJI of holding back the Mavic 3 Pro by first launching the Mavic 3 regular when it should have been the other way around but they knew they wouldn't sell as many Mavic 3 drones that way so they held back the Pro and let the Mavic 3 disaster languish and torment the drone community for a year....nonsense.
I'm not following you on this. DJI knew that the Air 3 would be lighter, smaller, cheaper than the Mavic but with the same kind of tech inside cause it has always been like that. So why did they release the Classic in the first place which is basically a castrated Mavic without its main strength knowing that the Air 3 will be right in the corner ?

Why did they just not skip the Classic to let the Air 3 shine or vice versa?

I'm really getting tired with DJI strategy. It's not a small gap between both models but quite a huge one: New RC, dual camera, extended flight time, lighter, smaller, cheaper.

At first I needed a drone with a dual camera but I skipped the regular Mavic 3 because the quality of the telephoto lens was not on par with the main lense and I bought the Classic instead. But WTF am I doing with that drone now? My Classic is a few weeks old and I didn't even have time to fly it once that the Air 3 and Mavic 3 Pro were announced! Are you serious DJI? 2 more models in such a short time? And next year the Air 3S I guess?

Now if I plan to sell the Classic to benefit from the dual camera of the Air 3 it will instantly loose a big part of his value and that's if I ever find someone interested to buy it.

Tired

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
I'm not following you on this. DJI knew that the Air 3 would be lighter, smaller, cheaper than the Mavic but with the same kind of tech inside cause it has always been like that. So why did they release the Classic in the first place which is basically a castrated Mavic without its main strength knowing that the Air 3 will be right in the corner ?

Why did they just not skip the Classic to let the Air 3 shine or vice versa?

I'm really getting tired with DJI strategy. It's not a small gap between both models but quite a huge one: New RC, dual camera, extended flight time, lighter, smaller, cheaper.

At first I needed a drone with a dual camera but I skipped the regular Mavic 3 because the quality of the telephoto lens was not on par with the main lense and I bought the Classic instead. But WTF am I doing with that drone now? My Classic is a few weeks old and I didn't even have time to fly it once that the Air 3 and Mavic 3 Pro were announced! Are you serious DJI? 2 more models in such a short time? And next year the Air 3S I guess?

Now if I plan to sell the Classic to benefit from the dual camera of the Air 3 it will instantly loose a big part of his value and that's if I ever find someone interested to buy it.

Tired
I hear you and all I can say is you win some you lose some. Hopefully more winning! These days you really have to keep your ear to the ground to stay ahead in this game. The launch cycles are getting smaller and smaller and the tech is getting better more rapidly. If this were $50 items, no problem; but if you are going to spend $$$ you really have to make sure. Forums like this one help out alot because information is not widely available and you can bounce off ideas. I like to keep up on YT as well. You bought the Classic because you thought it fits your needs. If that's still the case, there's no reason why you can't keep it and keep using it to fill your need regardless whatever else is new; however, if all you want is the latest and greatest...there's a price for that. If the tech is moving too fast, maybe it's time to skip cycles or wait for the big reset. I bought the Mavic 3 Pro and if black Friday there is a Mavic 4 Pro, I'm not going to sweat it. But I took the risk and I think Mavic 3 Pro is a champ for years to come.

As for DJI, perhaps the Air 3 was all set to launch and then covid hit. I dunno, just a guess, parts, chips, issues/bugs. Maybe it was ready to go before the Classic and big delays. All of a sudden it doesn't make sense to launch it as a refresh to Air 2S and while we are at it, can we take advantage of the new controllers, the new code, oh and we got these new cameras and a bunch of new battery designs. I honestly think the Classic team works on one floor and the Air team works on another floor and they never talk to each other and they do their thing and the overall strategy is loosely tied but not dependent meaning there isn't a conductor "orchestrating" all the launches and doing some sort of master coordination....to what end? I say this because I don't see a huge benefit to doing that unless there is something material involved like O4 or RID. Drone sell on features, price, channel availability, the economy, promotions, and time of year is what you should manage to....not if you come before or after a different model or how well it will be receive (which is a factor but to a lesser degree). I'm sure someone thought launching a Mavic 3 Pro in the middle of a recession was a bad, bad idea but this is where the tech takes us I guess. The Mavic 3 made them pivot which is why they appeared to have erased it (but not the classic).

BTW, we don't know for sure what's in the Air 3, what if there are no waypoints for example?

Yes I know about the larger camera sensor in the classic and the fact that A 1 inch sensor is so very close
in quality for daylight photos,but you have it right on the bigger sensor for low light conditions.HOWEVER
The call for money you mentioned,well lets see they are a company,and what are companies in business for?
Making money right.And yes getting back to technology,of course it will probably be close to the specs of the
the Mavic 3 classic,it is expected to be.Technology is improving by leaps and bounds and it will be used in the Air 3.
In the end if not satisfied sell your classic and buy the mavic 3 pro and be done with it.Yikes done here

To be honest, as much as I'm curious about the Air 3's exact specs, which I am, as if it has full OA and is compatible with my Goggles2/MC2 combo, then I think it would be a much better suited aircraft for FPV flying than my larger Mavic 3 Classic and I might just add it to my fleet.
I'm also very curious about the new RC'S, particularly the RC-N2, I know full well about the benefits of using your own device for Flight control and capabilities from my P3P, so I'm thinking I might be spending some money and joining the Air club as well.
Waiting patiently....

Reactions: mavic3usa
To be honest, as much as I'm curious about the Air 3's exact specs, which I am, as if it has full OA and is compatible with my Goggles2/MC2 combo, then I think it would be a much better suited aircraft for FPV flying than my larger Mavic 3 Classic and I might just add it to my fleet.
I'm also very curious about the new RC'S, particularly the RC-N2, I know full well about the benefits of using your own device for Flight control and capabilities from my P3P, so I'm thinking I might be spending some money and joining the Air club as well.
Waiting patiently....
I have an air 2 and am going to be looking at the air 3 very closely,I also have a non DJI product that is much better
camera wise than my air 2.But the second camera on the Air 3 has my interest.Hope it is released very shortly.
Have a good day.

Waiting patiently....
I would think about one of the DJI FPV or Avata and don't look back. Changed the way I look at drones completely after much hesitation. Unless one of the new RCs will officially work with the Goggles, I don't see it being game changer for Mavic+MC2. Besides, Avata plus MC2 is quite the package; you can spend at least a year getting to know FPV (i.e. if it were not form Mavic3Pro I would almost be out of the camera drone game).

I would think about one of the DJI FPV or Avata and don't look back. Changed the way I look at drones completely after much hesitation. Unless one of the new RCs will officially work with the Goggles, I don't see it being game changer for Mavic+MC2. Besides, Avata plus MC2 is quite the package; you can spend at least a year getting to know FPV (i.e. if it were not form Mavic3Pro I would almost be out of the camera drone game).

Can you expand more on your comments? I was thinking about the Avata but is that really more for just racing? I want something for photos and video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d