DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 RTH landing off

careless

Reactions
My friend and I both own a Air 3. When landing after RTH, mine hits the mark. My friends flies his Air 3, his landing is off is off by a foot almost every time. What is the differences in these two drones that we are not seeing.

Probably your friend is not doing the following

"During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before moving horizontally."

page 54 of the manual
I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off I can hit return to home and nine times out of 10 that thing will not land back, even close to the landing pad, where it took off. I don’t touch any of the joysticks or nothing. I just let it return to home. Careless and I was even experimenting just by going up and going out 500 to 800‘ and just hitting return to home and it never landed back where it took off on the pad. I have calibrated nothing helps Maybe send it back to DJI?

Maybe send it back to DJI?
Try this first.
Let the aircraft get more than 12 satellites. Hit the auto takeoff button. Let it sit there for a few seconds, then go straight up slowly to about 25 feet. Go fly like you want. From 400 feet away hit your RHT button and report back.

Reactions: fignewton
I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off I can hit return to home and nine times out of 10 that thing will not land back, even close to the landing pad, where it took off. I don’t touch any of the joysticks or nothing. I just let it return to home. Careless and I was even experimenting just by going up and going out 500 to 800‘ and just hitting return to home and it never landed back where it took off on the pad. I have calibrated nothing helps Maybe send it back to DJ?
I think you meant that you go out 2500 ft not up

I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off ............. Careless ........ Maybe send it back to DJI?
Careless? Certainly, though it sounds as if reckless might be a better description.
Maybe you should and forget about this 'hobby' .
Alternatively do a bit of research about the laws governing the height you are allowed to send the drone up to and why those laws exist.
incidentally what drone and how where you able to go higher than 1640ft?

Careless? Certainly, though it sounds as if reckless might be a better description.
Maybe you should and forget about this 'hobby' .
Alternatively do a bit of research about the laws governing the height you are allowed to send the drone up to and why those laws exist.
incidentally what drone and how where you able to go higher than 1640ft?
Nobody is being reckless it was just a wrong description about how far he flew. Maybe you should learn how to "read"

Nobody is being reckless it was just a wrong description about how far he flew. Maybe you should learn how to "read"
I can read, can you?
They wrote "I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off I ........"
I doubt they would have used the phrases "go up 2530 feet" and "then I fly off" in the same sentence if they meant "I fly it out to 2530ft and then fly it further away" .

Besides, they were replying to a post in which I explicitly mention two things
1) the height of the initial climb necessary to activate Precision Landing, 7m.
2) The fact that that climb must take place BEFORE the drone is flown horizontally away from the home point.
Their responding to my post would be out of context if they were attempting to describe the events you suggest.

Sadly I lack your supposed mind reading abilities and I can only go by what they actually wrote.
I go up 2530 feet after I hear home point established then I fly off I can hit return to home and nine times out of 10 that thing will not land back, even close to the landing pad, where it took off. I don’t touch any of the joysticks or nothing

before this thread looses its way ,i would just like to add a couple of points ,in regards to the sentence in blue in @Yorkshire_Pud' s post #2
as the drone hoveres at around 21ft the camera takes a picture of its surroundings in its field of view,this is stored in the drone ,which is then used as a reference once the drone starts its descent to the home point ,if this is not allowed to happen ,then the drone relies on its GPS home point coordinates, to establish where it took of from ,due to the nature of the GPS info ,this accuracy can vary, and although it is pretty good, landing a foot away ,as mentioned in the OP , is perfectly acceptable ,if having the drone precision land, is something that doesn't bother you, then just wait for the homepoint message ,take off and do whatever

I
before this thread looses its way ,i would just like to add a couple of points ,in regards to the sentence in blue in @Yorkshire_Pud' s post #2
as the drone hoveres at around 21ft the camera takes a picture of its surrou......
Thumbswayup
I think the hover at 7m is an internet myth OMM.
From memory of flights with my M2P/Z as soon as the drone is over 7m it can be moved horizontally but generally my drone would be at 25ft+ before I move it horizontally.
It's weird, I fly with imperial settings yet always think of this height in metres.
BTW if you are also flying imperial 7m is nigh on 23ft.

• Haha
Reactions: careless
@Yorkshire_Pud i prefer imperial its not that important to be splitting hairs over a couple of feet ,in this instance ,what does it hurt to hover for a few seconds while the info is stored the important part is the initial climb to the required height, my MPP used to have a precision check box ,that if activated just before auto take off,would take the drone up to 21-22 ft, and then it was ready to been flown off, where i wanted it to go,but if i didnt hit the check box, then it only went up to about 4ft , and hovered till i gave it some stick command from the RC
i am sure that if the hover at7m is an internet myth ,then why would DJI say it in their manual,you go up to 7m ,stop, and then fly off, the picture is taken between the stop and, before flying off,regarless of how long that may, be its still technically a hover ,part of the pre flight procedure ,as far as i am concerned, is irrespective of the height above the home point ,to allow the drone to hover for a few seconds to make sure it is ok before flying off into the sunset, i dont particularely care, whether or not other members on this forum agree, or disagree,with what i post ,what i do care about, is if i am able ,to pass on my experiences with flying my drones, for the last 6 years or so,and it helps a fellow flyer to have a positive experience with their drone ,then i am happy

@Yorkshire_Pud i prefer imperial its not that important to be splitting hairs over a couple of feet ,in this instance ,what does it hurt to hover for a few seconds while the info is stored the important part is the initial climb to the required height, my MPP used to have a precision check box ,that if activated just before auto take off,would take the drone up to 21-22 ft, and then it was ready to been flown off, where i wanted it to go,but if i didnt hit the check box, then it only went up to about 4ft , and hovered till i gave it some stick command from the RC
i am sure that if the hover at7m is an internet myth ,then why would DJI say it in their manual,you go up to 7m ,stop, and then fly off, the picture is taken between the stop and, before flying off,regarless of how long that may, be its still technically a hover ,part of the pre flight procedure ,as far as i am concerned, is irrespective of the height above the home point ,to allow the drone to hover for a few seconds to make sure it is ok before flying off into the sunset, i dont particularely care, whether or not other members on this forum agree, or disagree,with what i post ,what i do care about, is if i am able ,to pass on my experiences with flying my drones, for the last 6 years or so,and it helps a fellow flyer to have a positive experience with their drone ,then i am happy
From the Classic manual, others with Precision Landing say the same - Screenshot 2023-11-19 1.15.37 PM.png
No mention of hovering.

Reactions: James in the Desert
My friend and I both own a Air 3. When landing after RTH, mine hits the mark. My friends flies his Air 3, his landing is off is off by a foot almost every time. What is the differences in these two drones that we are not seeing.
The simple answer is that one is properly using the Precision Landing feature and the other isn't, but is using GPS alone, which is less accurate.

Reactions: Xitor and careless
my MPP used to have a precision check box ,that if activated just before auto take off,would take the drone up to 21-22 ft, and then it was ready to been flown off, where i wanted it to go
That strikes me as a good idea, pity it's been done away with.
i am sure that if the hover at7m is an internet myth ,then why would DJI say it in their manual,you go up to 7m ,stop, and then fly off,
Where do they say that? Genuine question.

With regards to 21ft vs 23ft, I don't wish to get into an argument about this, so this will be my final comment about the matter, but my point was and is, depending on the accuracy and resolution of the barometer, 21ft may not be sufficient height to enable precision landing.
Given your status here I suspect people take your word as good and follow way you suggest.

• Haha
Reactions: careless
@Yorkshire_Pud my so called status on this forum, that you mention is not of my doing
i only post about subjects, that my experiences of flying my own drones have given me
all i know is, in order for the drone to do a so called precision landing, is the need to go up at least to a predetermined height as mentioned in the manual, for it to work correctly, how idividual pilots interpret what is in the manual,is for them to decide ,i go by my experience with the MPP ,i certainly dont agree with everything that is said in forum posts and i dont expect others to agree with what i post
i joined this forum, to interact with other forum members , in a pleasant and respectfull way

Let’s keep it civil folks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13